Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fournette?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics. Ex-Seahawks fall into NFL topics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Leonard Fournette Released
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:24 am

Re: Leonard Fournette Released
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:19 am
  • Jags are definitely tanking but LF had been a headache for them regardless. He'll clear waivers because his 4.2M salary for 2020 is fully guaranteed, which is why no one traded for him, but he should get a few bites afterwards. The challenge with LF is that he's a 2-down back who brings nothing to the passing game, which is comparable to being a back-to-the-basket center in the modern NBA.
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:46 am
  • NorthDallas40oz wrote:Jags are definitely tanking but LF had been a headache for them regardless. He'll clear waivers because his 4.2M salary for 2020 is fully guaranteed, which is why no one traded for him, but he should get a few bites afterwards. The challenge with LF is that he's a 2-down back who brings nothing to the passing game, which is comparable to being a back-to-the-basket center in the modern NBA.

JFC! I guess those 76 receptions for 522 yards last year just don't count.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Starter

Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:44 am
  • ^I was just going to post that.^ :D

I can almost guarantee you Pete Carroll jumped out of his chair when he saw this news. Fournette is a threat to break a big run every time he touches the ball. Dude had like 1700 total yards last year.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:31 pm
  • Who wouldn't have a bad attitude on the Jags?

Yannick took a $6M pay cut in order to get traded. It is that bad there.

So issues with Fournette should be examined in that light. But Fournette has inconsistent power. That is real. Cannot tell you how many times I have seen him kept out of the EZ when he had a half yard to go.

But easily an upgrade over Penny. Does almost everything Penny does, just with more power.

Would be a great receiving threat too.

This is perfect fit for Carroll if the Bears do not pick him up first.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Fournette?
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:52 pm
  • This guy was considered an elite talent and Jacksonville nuff said. Tempting thought at what salary?
    Last edited by tersal on Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    tersal
    NET Rookie

Re: Fournette?
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:07 pm
  • He would be a perfect fit here but the Bears probably pick him up.

Anything else at the Jags garage sale we can get for cheap since apparently 'everything must go'?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:34 pm
  • He's a hell of a player when healthy. But he is NOT the team player type. They couldn't even trade him for a 7th round pick. I think that says a ton. Talent only gets you so far.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:01 pm
  • Soulfish,

Not really fair. We don't know how bad it is there.

We DO know that players want out. That Yannick took a giant paycut of multiple million dollars, just to play for the Vikings - not even a real SB contender. That says how bad it is.

It might make sense to cut Fournette slack. Remember Lynch was 'not a team player' too?

Also, the Jags look very similar to what happened to the Sonics. That looks all the world like a team that is purposely terrible in order to destroy the fanbase so they can move it. In that circumstance, would anyone be a team player?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:21 pm
  • I'm pretty happy with our RB room right now. Not a great time to bring in a new guy, just before the season if we don't have to. I'm good with waiting to see if Penney comes back in October, too.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:22 pm
  • I would have been intrigued a few months ago, but I'm fine with what we have. Very talented for sure though.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:48 pm
  • We are looking good at RB right now but would I turn down Fournette if the numbers work? Hell no! I could totally see him a Seahawk. In fact, I think he just might be.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:34 pm
  • Get that man now
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:34 am
  • Never said I wouldn't be stoked to have him on the team. Just not sure if he's the buy in type. But hell yeah, add him to Carson and Hyde? Boom.
    Shoot, he runs ANGRY, which is very much what Pete Carroll likes in a RB.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:40 am
  • He was pretty poor the year before, but last year he was OK.

Not a power runner at all, which is odd considering his build. Weirdly inconsistent vision too. There is little chance he turns into another Lynch for us. But he is fast, he can break off big runs (long TD runs, which Carson does not really do), and he can catch the ball.

Terrible, terrible goal line back - but we have Carson, who is stellar. He had 3 TDs all of last year. Ick.

However, he also put together one of the best college careers for a RB besides Barry Sanders.

He does everything we need Penny to, has as much upside as Penny, and has almost as many years on him. Lots of carries though, but still - you could argue he would do everything we need Penny to. Seems almost a no-brainer considering how much use we put on our RBs and how injuries there impact us.

It looks like the Bucs, Bears, and Texans would be the top teams for him in terms of interest & need. But Seahawks would be a good fit for him in terms of realizing some of his upside. Carroll is stellar at getting great players out of potentially great players.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:20 am
  • Great point on Pete, there's what other coaches offer and then there's Pete. He can get a LOT out of players, along with buying in to his system and belief in it. Not many coaches actually celebrate who a player is as a person, he allows them to be who they are. If they start acting like Sherm/Earl/Bennett...…..then they are sent packing.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:07 am
  • I'd pass, notwithstanding that he is an excellent player, the team is pretty set with young RBs who cost less than Fournette. Frankly i'm curious about the 1-2 of Carson and Hyde with some Homer and Dallas sprinkled in.

I'd rather see them add to the DLine.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:50 am
  • Yeah it’s a no for me too. If we didn’t have Hyde, I’d say sure. But I’m Ok with the stable we have now.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:23 pm
  • Team needs Fournette about as much as a hole in the head. Theres holes to be filled and RB isnt one of them.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:26 pm
  • Nah.

Sometimes you have to let the young guys play.

We are pretty deep at RB now.

Don’t need Fournette.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:09 pm
  • Fournette in college was a man amongst boys. Once he joined the NFL and became a man against men, it was much harder for him. He didn't seemingly have the desire to rise to occasion. It was all fun when you were the star and everything was coming easy. But not everyone has the work ethic to rise to the higher level when everyone else is also a star.

I don't think Fournette is a good fit despite being a stud.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:12 pm
  • Exactly, a hell of a player. But has, at least from a distance, not exactly been a total team guy. I'm plenty happy with the backs they have. I'm sure he'll find a gig, but he needs to try to clean up that image and kick some ass on the field, while staying healthy and buying in.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:27 pm
  • I'm with sutz on this topic. I think we're set and need what it would take to add Fournette elsewhere.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:40 pm
  • He doesn't feel like the guy that would enjoy walking up and punching someone in the mouth and stand there and relish the return shot, Lynch would walk into a bar and punch them all in the mouth and they would run because who is crazy enough to do that.

That's what I think, he could punch smaller guys and not take a return shot really in College, now everyone hits back.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:25 pm
  • Hockey Guy wrote:
    NorthDallas40oz wrote:Jags are definitely tanking but LF had been a headache for them regardless. He'll clear waivers because his 4.2M salary for 2020 is fully guaranteed, which is why no one traded for him, but he should get a few bites afterwards. The challenge with LF is that he's a 2-down back who brings nothing to the passing game, which is comparable to being a back-to-the-basket center in the modern NBA.

JFC! I guess those 76 receptions for 522 yards last year just don't count.

Those 76 "receptions" (almost entirely check-down dumpoffs by Gardner Minshew rather than scripted plays) came on 100 targets and produced less than 7 yards per catch and zero touchdowns, which is an absolutely horrid efficiency rate (never mind his 4 drops). This is largely due to LF's total lack of ability to make defenders miss in space, which renders him wholly useless as an actual receiving "threat."

BTW, he predictably cleared waivers today.
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:59 pm
  • He cleared waivers.

Imagine Carroll will pick him up if nobody wants him. He loves those 1st round picks. And early 1st that is ALSO a RB? Pretty much has Carroll written all over it.

That said, considering Kamara might be available, most people are going to forget Fournette even exists until someone picks that guy up.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:13 pm
  • If we were rollin' in dough I would be in favor of pursuing Kamara. I read a report today saying the Saints might look to take a pass on paying him what he wants. IMO he's one of the best, not just the best available.
    Cap is such a dream killer!
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:52 am
  • Nah. Man alot of posters like to beat a dead horse. Just as soon as he is released. I know it's a talking point, but not worth it.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:37 am
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:Nah.

Sometimes you have to let the young guys play.

We are pretty deep at RB now.

Don’t need Fournette.

Fournette is 25 and has played 3 seasons.

When the Seahawks acquired Marshawn Lynch, he was 24 and had played 3 seasons.

It's not like Fournette is an "old guy".
    HawkFan72
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:24 am
  • Week 1 is 10 days away.

You'd be adding an RB who would need more time than is available to get up to speed with the playbook, therefore wouldn't be of much immediate help - in a season that's already full of uncertainty.

Also, to add him, someone else in the RB room (I doubt Fournette would be volunteering for ST work) would probably have to go.

I don't know if that much upheaval would be of interest to PC/JS at this stage.
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:48 am
  • We don't need him here in Seattle. And I still stick to my opinion that the fact that he cleared waivers and they couldn't even find a trade partner says a lot. He's still very young and has the talent to be a very good back for a long time. But, he still has some growing up to do. I'm good with what they have here.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:50 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:He doesn't feel like the guy that would enjoy walking up and punching someone in the mouth and stand there and relish the return shot, Lynch would walk into a bar and punch them all in the mouth and they would run because who is crazy enough to do that.

That's what I think, he could punch smaller guys and not take a return shot really in College, now everyone hits back.

This!
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:02 pm
  • The Pats aren't the only team letting it be known they're not interested in signing Fournette.

Rams coach Sean McVay noted Tuesday that L.A. didn't have interest in acquiring the RB.

"He's a good player but we feel good about the guys we have in house. We're not looking at anyone externally," McVay said, via the L.A. Times.

Bears coach Matt Nagy also said Wednesday that Chicago was standing pat at the running back position.

"I'll just say we really like where we're at right now with our running back room," Nagy told reporters,

https://www.nfl.com/news/leonard-fourne ... to-sign-rb
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:18 pm
  • Will be a huge fall from grace if he ends up having to wait to sign as an in-season replacement.
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:08 pm
  • Not one team was even willing to trade a 7th for the guy. What baggage is going on behind the scenes?
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:43 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:Not one team was even willing to trade a 7th for the guy. What baggage is going on behind the scenes?

I’m not sure how the contract works but I kind of assumed nobody wanted to take on his contract of a player with his issues. Since he’s cleared waivers that changes things i think. Someone with a better grasp of how that works could probably enlighten us.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Starter

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:26 pm
  • Signed with the Bucs.

That worked out nicely for him. Goes from the league’s most obviously tanking team to a SB contender with a stacked offense.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:57 pm
  • Rat wrote:Signed with the Bucs.

That worked out nicely for him. Goes from the league’s most obviously tanking team to a SB contender with a stacked offense.

He is also in the one place where his QB will chew his ass and his Coach will bench him in a hot minute if he does anything he doesn't like.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:51 pm
  • Bucs were the clear NFC favorite for the SB already. This just makes them tougher.

RB was one of the few areas they might be thin, not anymore.

Regardless, no longer a seahawk topic.
    Last edited by TwistedHusky on Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:58 pm
  • Hes a Buc now. Good low risk pick up imo.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:22 pm
  • Fournette still living on his college and draft hype.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Leonard Fournette To Bucs
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:46 pm
  • Bucs just signed him.
    hawks85
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:16 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *