Josh McDaniels notifies teams he will stay at NE/not seek HC

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Smart. He's a good O-coordinator, learn under Belichick for a couple-three years and then get a good HC gig elsewhere.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised he turned down Cleveland. I like their ownership and that's a pretty fantastic roster.

But, hey, got to give the guy props. He's obviously not solely interested in dollars.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Plus I think he knows he made a mess of things during his first time as head coach and isn't going to make the jump this time until he knows he's ready. I agree with Roland: smart move.

Snohomie

Reaction score
pehawk":2sk1zi6l said:
I'm a bit surprised he turned down Cleveland. I like their ownership and that's a pretty fantastic roster.

But, hey, got to give the guy props. He's obviously not solely interested in dollars.

McDaniel's downfall as an OC with StL last year was that his offense is pretty complex, with practically every WR having a few route options on every play. IMO, it's a brutal offense to install with an inexperienced QB. Too many options for too many players to run when your QB is still trying to learn to read the defense. I think he'd fail in Cleveland, at least initially.

Now, San Diego would've been a good landing spot in my opinion. The holdovers are already used to an abrasive ass, having dealt with AJ Smith, and the offense has a lot of veteran skill players who could do McDaniel's calculus.