Obama says its time to reduce violence in football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pehawk

Reaction score
Isn't this music to your ears? You're a Duck that enjoys musicals and thinks kickoff are too violent.

CPHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":objytda0 said:
Isn't this music to your ears? You're a Duck that enjoys musicals and thinks kickoff are too violent.

Ah, pehawk hattin again. Just because UO is better then UW in football, basketball and baseball, is no reason to have your panties in a wad. :thirishdrinkers:

pehawk

Reaction score
Easy...basketball? Umm, a lil more consistency needed before you start touting that program. But, once sanctions hit you'll get better, like UDub.

CPHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1f8g4rt3 said:
Easy...basketball? Umm, a lil more consistency needed before you start touting that program. But, once sanctions hit you'll get better, like UDub.

I would stop listing to little kimmy and the slob softy if I was a UW fan. The end to UO football isn't coming. Given the fact we just hired the top WR coach in American and one of the top recruiters in Matt Lubick. And now UO is close to hiring former Arizona Cardinals DL coach Ron Aiken. I'm guessing this quality of coach would'nt sign on with a program that is about to be slapped "hard" like dog fans hope.

Maybe UW and it's fans should focus on getting better (imo would mean UW has to fire Sark), rather then just hoping UO falls back so they have a chance. Would be a lot more fun to have two top 10 teams, rather then two mediocre programs.

nategreat

Reaction score
Let's not turn this into a political thing- it's not. He said that if he had a son, he'd have to think hard about letting him play. He also pointed out that it's in the NCAA's hands- he made no mention of the government getting involved, or even wanting to get involved. He was merely concerned for players' health. As he should be. As we all should be.

IronSaint

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2vz4fd4a said:
He totally doesn't have anything other than football to worry about.

Exactly my thoughts. Football should be the last thought on his mind.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Hmmm.....maybe a disgruntled Bears or Skins fan. Seriously, its not a political issue. The Players have suit led by Ken Stabler. the league has changed rules and is heavily invested in prevention. One thing not looked hard enough is the HS and College equipment. The helmet I had in HS was useless.

The Outfield

Reaction score
How about the government bans and regulates everything?

Let's ban kitchen knives next because they might be used to hurt someone, either purposely or accidentally.

Also, televisions are not good for your health, so those should be banned.

But let's not ban cars... it's not like anyone gets killed while driving them.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Maybe journalists should stop asking him questions about football then ... That would help. I don't think he answered the question from a politics stand point. I believe he was asked his approach, if he were a parent ...
Those of us who are parent do have an opinion and even those of us who have family that plays football ... have some questions about it. What some people seem to forget is that, those player's are someone's daddy or brother or husband.
IronSaint":7lovi2s5 said:
Maelstrom787":7lovi2s5 said:
He totally doesn't have anything other than football to worry about.

Exactly my thoughts. Football should be the last thought on his mind.

nategreat

Reaction score
The Outfield":1ujbbsi9 said:
How about the government bans and regulates everything?

Let's ban kitchen knives next because they might be used to hurt someone, either purposely or accidentally.

Also, televisions are not good for your health, so those should be banned.

But let's not ban cars... it's not like anyone gets killed while driving them.

Okay, settle down. The government is not involved in this whatsoever. He was asked a question about football, and answered it.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
In 1990, I was a Freshman in college. Steve Largent had just retired and came to speak at my campus as the keynote speaker for a conference on Ethics in Athletics. To give you guys an idea of just what kind of a nut job Seahawks fan I am -- I skipped dinner that night and showed up 2 hours before the start of the conference. The only people who were there were the 3 or 4 guys who were setting up for the conference ... and I plopped myself down dead center front row, camping out in that seat until the conference started. In fact, I've still got a recording of Largent's talk on audio cassette and the poster of the conference that somehow mysteriously ended up in my possession. Hmmmm ... ;)

Anyway, Largent said something during the question and answer period that night that I've never forgotten. He was asked by someone if he was going to allow his boys to play football. Largent gave a great answer, saying that he'd already had that talk with his sons. He said that he was quite frank with them, saying in essence (I'm paraphrasing here), "It's not IF you'll get hurt son ... it's when. You WILL get hurt playing football. That's just the nature of the sport." I've never forgotten that advice and that's exactly what I tell everyone (and what I'm going to tell me own sons) about playing football. I saw this article in the Seattle Times a few years ago on Curtis Marsh (Link: Seattle Times - No Game, Still Pain) and I'm saving it for my sons for them to read someday in order to have that conversation.

Believe me, I'm totally sympathetic to the families of Junior Seau and tons of other ex-NFL players like him. I absolutely hate all these crippling injuries that these guys end up with. But I'm sorry, violence is the nature of the sport. Yes, the NFL should try its best to make it as safe as possible and to minimize such injuries ... but the bottom line is: That's the price you'll probably have to pay for the rest of your life if you choose to play football. That's exactly what I would tell Obama and what I tell everyone else who cares to listen.

chris98251

Reaction score
Really knowing the nature of the game it's on those who participate, what could be done is a stricter health system for the game for those that are more suseptable to concussions, you can be forcefully retired due to a health risk. Not popular but it would make an impact.

Military people that enlist know there putting themselves in danger, if injured they can be discharged as well. Not quite the same but not a bad model to look at.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
***EDIT*** Realized this thread is dumb, makin' like this cat.

[youtube]g85wBkhFhjo[/youtube]

jkitsune

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":8hiw4oyd said:
This dude needs to focus on his job.

He's pretty much a joke at this point.

:roll: Let's keep the thread on 'football' and not on 'politics.'

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":ni6lokn3 said:
This dude needs to focus on his job and NOT football.

He's pretty much a joke at this point.

Perhaps you should read more and post less. Obama was simply asked if he had a son would he be allowed to play football. Obama answered the question by saying that he'd have to think about it really hard because of the injury risk.

END OF STORY.

He is not getting involved in football regulating or neglecting anything else. Just because the name "Obama" is attached to an article doesn't mean you can interpret and twist it to your preconceived ideas.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
This is the dumbest thing I've read since...Well, probably yesterday. A few days back, at best. It's hard to be the stupidest thing in the news on any given day; congratulations, President Obama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts