Mike Wallace to the Seahawks,......would be MASSIVE

Paschtorian

Reaction score
All I gotta say is,.............this,.......and a game-changing pass rusher,..........

......would be the missing cogs in the "machine".

Go Seahawks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HawkWow

Reaction score
Wallace is a Steeler. Wallace is dirty.

In all seriousness, I think we're pretty good at the position. The way RW is throwing on the run, the WRs we have should be able to find open spots. Had Rice, Tate or Baldwin dropped a bunch of balls, I'd feel differently. They're actually quite solid and only going to get better as they work with RW. Plus, better line play will free up Money Miller. I think this is a 30 PPG offense with the personel we currently have.
Yes, It would be nice to have some deep heat, but not essential and I am hopeful the FO will find another WR in day 2 of the draft. We need a DT, DE and LB with our 1st, 2nd and 3rd, IMO. We have a bevy of late rd picks that we should package and trade for another 3 or 4. Use that pick on a project WR with some wheels.

The Outfield

Reaction score
HawkWow":3n9o10qh said:
Wallace is a Steeler. Wallace is dirty.

In all seriousness, I think we're pretty good at the position. The way RW is throwing on the run, the WRs we have should be able to find open spots. Had Rice, Tate or Baldwin dropped a bunch of balls, I'd feel differently. They're actually quite solid and only going to get better as they work with RW. Plus, better line play will free up Money Miller. I think this is a 30 PPG offense with the personel we currently have.
Yes, It would be nice to have some deep heat, but not essential and I am hopeful the FO will find another WR in day 2 of the draft. We need a DT, DE and LB with our 1st, 2nd and 3rd, IMO. We have a bevy of late rd picks that we should package and trade for another 3 or 4. Use that pick on a project WR with some wheels.

^ THIS.

firebee

Reaction score
Looking at Pittsburgh's free agents... Wallace is probably going to be tagged, which means we'll need to give up a 1st round pick plus salary for Wallace. I see this problem being presented with Jennings also.

This is why I'm liking Brian Hartline to Seattle. With Jake Long, Reggie Bush and Randy Starks all scheduled to hit free agency; their's a good chance Brian Hartline won't be tagged. That means we won't have to give up a pick for him, he'll probably cost less than Wallace or Jennings, and I personally think he's a better receiver for Wilson to throw to than Wallace or Jennings anyways. Wilson likes to get a little air under the ball and Hartline is very very good at bringing in the jump balls downfield. Hartline's also a second-effort receiver that keeps working to get open through the end of a route while Wallace has been in the dog-house with Tomlin for taking plays off. Hartline's size and style of play also compliments our other receivers better than Wallace or Jennings do in my opinion. I think Wallace or Jennings would be a highly publicized high-profile signing if we signed them and I think either of them would improve our receiving corp, but I think Brian Hartline would be the best free agent receiver for us to sign.

As for our defensive line... I'd like to see us sign Glenn Dorsey and get him back to being a dominant DT in the 4-3 Defense like he was when he was at LSU. Their's a good chance he won't be tagged with Albert, Bowe and, I believe, Berry scheduled to hit free agency. Desmond Bryant out of Oakland is another disruptive penetrating DT I'm interested in and their's a good chance a team can outbid Oakland for Bryant without over-paying for Bryant and he's a young promising lineman. We might as well look at improving the interior pass rush with Jones and Branch hitting free agency. Randy Starks is off the books in my opinon. If he isn't tagged, he's going to draw some ridiculous offer from someone around the league.
Michael Johnson or Michael Bennett at the right price could be an interesting addition, but I think they're going to have some big dollars thrown at them too. An under-the-radar guy I like... Matt Roth.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Wallace would be awesome here. Dude wants to get paid, but he doesn't bitch about targets. As PeHawk pointed out before Chris Hanson's lackeys hauled him off, Wallace knows how to play sandlot ball with a quarterback who scrambles to extend plays. Like ours. and he makes safeties cry.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Like our guys, but if Sidney were to get injured our lack of depth would likely prove problematic.
Wallace has ability that nobody on our team posseses.

Pete has proven to highly value the WR position and I would be happy and not surprised if we gave Wallace a look see.
The draft is maybe more likely route, but I expect them to address the position.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
firebee":3hyhzr3y said:
Looking at Pittsburgh's free agents... Wallace is probably going to be tagged, which means we'll need to give up a 1st round pick plus salary for Wallace. I see this problem being presented with Jennings also.

This is why I'm liking Brian Hartline to Seattle. With Jake Long, Reggie Bush and Randy Starks all scheduled to hit free agency; their's a good chance Brian Hartline won't be tagged. That means we won't have to give up a pick for him, he'll probably cost less than Wallace or Jennings, and I personally think he's a better receiver for Wilson to throw to than Wallace or Jennings anyways. Wilson likes to get a little air under the ball and Hartline is very very good at bringing in the jump balls downfield. Hartline's also a second-effort receiver that keeps working to get open through the end of a route while Wallace has been in the dog-house with Tomlin for taking plays off. Hartline's size and style of play also compliments our other receivers better than Wallace or Jennings do in my opinion. I think Wallace or Jennings would be a highly publicized high-profile signing if we signed them and I think either of them would improve our receiving corp, but I think Brian Hartline would be the best free agent receiver for us to sign.

As for our defensive line... I'd like to see us sign Glenn Dorsey and get him back to being a dominant DT in the 4-3 Defense like he was when he was at LSU. Their's a good chance he won't be tagged with Albert, Bowe and, I believe, Berry scheduled to hit free agency. Desmond Bryant out of Oakland is another disruptive penetrating DT I'm interested in and their's a good chance a team can outbid Oakland for Bryant without over-paying for Bryant and he's a young promising lineman. We might as well look at improving the interior pass rush with Jones and Branch hitting free agency. Randy Starks is off the books in my opinon. If he isn't tagged, he's going to draw some ridiculous offer from someone around the league.
Michael Johnson or Michael Bennett at the right price could be an interesting addition, but I think they're going to have some big dollars thrown at them too. An under-the-radar guy I like... Matt Roth.

He got tagged last year, so how much would that be for Pittsburgh to keep him if he was tagged 2x in a row?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
pc Mo IS compete.
Compete at every position.
Say we do bring in Make Wallace, someone is and will get better.

I doubt PC ever says we are good enough at a particular position. He may say we need more help in one position or another, but that is not to say he is closing an eye to other positions if it means that it can make the club better if the chance ever arises.

If Mike Wallace falls into his lap, is he going to say.. No, were good enough.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2la7icwu said:
pc Mo IS compete.
Compete at every position.
Say we do bring in Make Wallace, someone is and will get better.

I doubt PC ever says we are good enough at a particular position. He may say we need more help in one position or another, but that is not to say he is closing an eye to other positions if it means that it can make the club better if the chance ever arises.

If Mike Wallace falls into his lap, is he going to say.. No, were good enough.
He would snap up Wallace in a heartbeat. Seeing what Wilson could do with Pro Bowl-level receivers last Sunday has to have Pete salivating.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I like the Hartline idea he won't be a huge splash but might be too much for Miami to pay. They might also be in the martket for a more splashy WR like Wallace and then let Hartline walk, he seems like he could be a Welker or Stokely type that just gets open and would work well as a saftey net for RW. Bring him in on a 3 or 4 year deal that would allow us to cut him after 2. I believe Tate is a FA after this year and having a guy liek Hartline and a rookie from this draft we would be really flexible in not having to resign Tate.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3dutpoob said:
I like the Hartline idea he won't be a huge splash but might be too much for Miami to pay. They might also be in the martket for a more splashy WR like Wallace and then let Hartline walk, he seems like he could be a Welker or Stokely type that just gets open and would work well as a saftey net for RW. Bring him in on a 3 or 4 year deal that would allow us to cut him after 2. I believe Tate is a FA after this year and having a guy liek Hartline and a rookie from this draft we would be really flexible in not having to resign Tate.

Not having to resign Tate?
Though Tate is inconsistent at times, he is our most dynamic receiver.
Sidney Rice barely edged him out in leading the team in yards, but if Tate can continue to improve and contribute on a consistent basis there is no doubt in my mind that he'd be the best receiver we have. At times, he is a special player.

I am more concerned (not the right word) about Sidney. He's certainly a solid player, but though he made it through the year alive is still a bit fragile.

Now, I like all of the guys we got, but I still see a need to add more good players with different skill sets.
I don't have a problem acquiring a player like Hartline, but I think if your going to dish out money in free agency Mike Wallace is the guy you target. I understand Wallace would be pricey, but Hartline will get paid a fair chunk as well.

I still think we spend money on the defensive line and look to upgrade are offense in the draft. If we do spend money in free agency, though, Mike Wallace is the guy!

getnasty

Reaction score
I think Wallace would be a good fit, but i don't think Pete and John we be willing to tie up that kind money in the WR position. We have to keep in mind Sidney is going to making 8.5 to 9 mil over the next three years. I hope they go Hopkins and if he develops like we hope you can ask Sidney to restructure or take hike. This way at least we have some flexibility when it comes time to resign some of our young talent. Hopkins>Wallace

garydrake425

Reaction score
Any of your choices would work for me. I like em all. One thing i disagree with is getting rid of Tate. Tate has heart and heart helped us win games this past year and most likely next year some. Sid has alil heart in him to as u seen in Chicago.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I don't want any player with a record of giving up on his routes late. That's Wilson's bread and butter time. I'd rather see Hartline or Welker. If Welker isn't too much, he's the perfect fit for our team.

hawker84

Reaction score
anybody thinks Wallace wouldn't be an instant upgrade is not being realistic.. move Tate to slot , rice and wallace outside? that would be a winning formula on any team... and as already mentioned , that would add dept, you'd have balwdin as our 4th and so on.. the WR position needs to be upgraded, right behind DL and LB....

benbu75

Reaction score
Carmon1274":28nnye96 said:
firebee":28nnye96 said:

He got tagged last year, so how much would that be for Pittsburgh to keep him if he was tagged 2x in a row?

The problem the Steelers have right now is that with the 37 players currently signed to the Steelers roster, they are about 8 million over the 2013 cap. When you add RFA and ERFA, that climbs to about 16m over. If they sign all 7 draft picks, that brings them to 21m over the cap. The top 9 players on the Steelers roster are slotted right now to take up about 80% of their cap. Now, they will probably restructure Big Ben, Timmons and Woodley, which will bring it down. I would bet they cut Harrison, Colon and Keisel (and possibly Polamalu, if they don't restructure/slash his pay or try to trade him for picks, which is questionable with injury issues), but all of that still will likely only bring them a little under the cap. Tagging Wallace will cost them ~10m, so I have serious doubts they can even consider tagging him. Best they can do, IMO, is try to get him to sign an extension but with their money issues, I have questions about whether they will be able to offer him what he feels he is worth, particularly with the problems they had in negotiations last year.

As far as Wallace being dirty, I've never heard of anything serious that he has done. Whether he is a fit for Seattle, well, more talented men than me will make that decision. However, if you look at the type of QB Big Ben is and the way he moves around to extend plays, Wallace would have a lot of valuable experience coming to the Seahawks with Russell Wilson and his style of play.

benbu75

Reaction score
joeshaney":eva35i54 said:
I still think we spend money on the defensive line and look to upgrade are offense in the draft. If we do spend money in free agency, though, Mike Wallace is the guy!

The opposite is probably a better idea. Generally, the WR position is one of the hardest to adapt to the NFL and most WR take 2-3 years before they become significant contributors to their team. I think it is much more likely that the Seahawks find an immediate impact from the draft in the DLine and pick up an established WR in free agency. Whether Wallace is the right guy or not will be evaluated, but I would rather have a Bowe, Jennings, Wallace, Hartline that would be able to come in and be an immediate contributor. Wallace is most appealing because he is only 26, if he can be had at the right price, but I wouldn't get into a bidding war over him.