Moss: "I'm the greatest receiver to ever play this game."

The Outfield

Reaction score
Absolutely no way he's better than Rice. Now, he could argue that he is the 2nd best receiver of all time. But saying he is the best just makes me barf.

themunn

Reaction score
Why not?
3rd all-time in receptions, 2nd in TDs with only Rice and TO ahead, despite the likes of Daunte Culpepper (who was a product of Moss and not vice versa), Kerry Collins and Alex Smith making the bulk of his passes (3 seasons of a HoF QB compared to the entire career that Rice had with Montana and then Young throwing the ball makes a difference).

I'd say it's neck and neck between the two

The Radish

Reaction score
Different times now, offenses way more pass oriented. I would put Largent in the top 5 for sure mostly because he did most of his work in a more run oriented offense.

Even Rice says Largent's the best.

:les:

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The Radish":2hd8ook3 said:

Got a source for this? I can't find anything on it, and there's a coworker I'd love to beat over the head with it; but I need to have proof.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
themunn":14o6dnsh said:
Why not?
3rd all-time in receptions, 2nd in TDs with only Rice and TO ahead, despite the likes of Daunte Culpepper (who was a product of Moss and not vice versa), Kerry Collins and Alex Smith making the bulk of his passes (3 seasons of a HoF QB compared to the entire career that Rice had with Montana and then Young throwing the ball makes a difference).

I'd say it's neck and neck between the two

Randy past TO this season in TDs. You were correct in saying he is 2nd all time, but TO is not ahead.

You forgot Tom Brady as a QB throwing to him. In terms of Randy's 14 year career, Alex Smith barely had an impact.

Edit: But I agree with themunn. I think it's closer than most people admit.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
The Radish":1wbjq0oz said:
Different times now, offenses way more pass oriented. I would put Largent in the top 5 for sure mostly because he did most of his work in a more run oriented offense.

:les:

Offenses have been significantly pass-oriented since 1978, when major rules changes went into place that prevented defenders from mugging receivers after 5 yards. If you look at run-pass balance, it changed immediately after those 1978 rules went into place and has been relatively consistent since then.

The rules in 1978 included the 5-yard rule (or the "Mel Blount Rule") and changes that allowed offensive linemen to block with open hands and extended arms - both changes intended to open up the passing game.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010/01 ... lysis.html

There's not NEARLY enough of a difference between the game in the late 70s/early 80s and now to discount Moss' numbers against Largent's.

EDIT: You can even see the effect of those rule changes in looking at Largent's production: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... rgSt00.htm

hawker84

Reaction score
i'd say they're closer than peole think.. rice played for 20 years.. moss in his 14th season.. pure talent wise i say Moss.. all around talent, and work ethic, Rice.. GOAT , right now rice..

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Rice will always be the GOAT for me. Of course, its close. Randy could've been the best if he got out of his own way sooner. Entire body of work, I'd definitely go with Rice. No question about it.

Shaz

Reaction score
He's not the greatest (That belongs to Rice)

However, Moss at his peak was the most physically talented and gifted WR to ever grace the gridiron

I would take him over everyone in his prime, that's how good he was

No one could stop him

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Shaz":q9gfcree said:
He's not the greatest (That belongs to Rice)

However, Moss at his peak was the most physically talented and gifted WR to ever grace the gridiron

I would take him over everyone in his prime, that's how good he was

No one could stop him
Agree!.....Moss was the best deep threat to ever play, but you will get nothing else. When Moss was with the Vikings as a QB all you had to do was throw it deep and the ball was his, even double or triple coverage

RM had a million dollar physical gifts but a 2 cent head. Imagine if he had a good work ethic, IMO Moss would have been the best ever

Claden

Reaction score
2nd or 3rd I think. If his mind was right since the beginning, he could have been the best.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
As amazingly talented and physically gifted as he was, he truly wasted a great (nearly sure thing) opportunity to be the greatest of all time... along with those incredible talents and gifts and potential, what comes to mind for me with Randy Moss in regards to his football career are words like: Lazy, Quitter, Bone Head, Prima Donna, Jerk, Self Centered, Distraction... to name a few.