49ers to Trade Alex Smith for Revis?

nategreat

Reaction score
I hate to create another thread about Revis, but I thought this deserved a new post of it's own. I was just browsing ESPN today and noticed an insider article that specified a rumored trade between the Niners and Jets that would include Alex Smith for D. Revis straight up. Does anyone have any further insight to this? I don't have an insider account, but the article starts:

It was shaping up to be a relatively normal Tuesday morning in the NFL world -- though the circus of Super Bowl Media Day is on tap -- and then something very strange happened during ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter's appearance on "Mike and Mike in the Morning."

Man, I'm hoping this is merely a rumor, and that there is not much basis to it. That would SUCK.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl/rumors/post?id=872

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
No way does the new Jets GM do this trade. NYC can't help but make up random stuff for the news, there are too many people there to appeal to and get advertising revenue from.

drdiags

Reaction score
Only other thing added that you haven't mentioned is that the 9ers would add in a 2nd round pick.

If the claim is that Revis would garner 2 #1s then I would bet the Jets fans would be unhappy. Though they would have a starting-caliber QB to give Sanchez competition.

Schefter seems to hit many times on this stuff but who knows what other teams are offering? I am sure teams are letting the Jets know they are interested. Schefty may have just got wind of this one offer the Jets are mulling over.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Schefter is just talking out his ass. I'd hope that Idzik has enough sense to not try to trade for a guy he knows isn't that great and just asked to be released after the super bowl. But if he is a bigger moron than Schefter, hopefully he wouldn't bone his buddies by sending Revis to their division rival.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, this trade makes a lot of sense for the Jets if SF is willing to deal some serious draft power. If they're offering Alex Smith, their 1st-round, and a 2nd or 3rd...I'd jump all over that as a Jets fan. I just doubt that the 49ers are willing to do that. Too expensive.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":qctx4z3b said:
Well, to be fair, this trade makes a lot of sense for the Jets if SF is willing to deal some serious draft power. If they're offering Alex Smith, their 1st-round, and a 2nd or 3rd...I'd jump all over that as a Jets fan. I just doubt that the 49ers are willing to do that. Too expensive.
Won't happen because Revis' contract would be unbearable. 49ers have 14 draft picks this upcoming draft. They can afford to sacrifice a 2nd round pick. But not for Revis.

mikeak

Reaction score
If I am a REALISTIC Jets fan I would take AS and a first round pick period. Improve the cap situation, get somebody in there to throw the ball........

You got to say if you are going to go 5-11 I would rather see my team do it and score 30pts vs scoring 3.

I know AS won't give you 30 pts but he is an upgrade with the right playcalling which is the Jets style of running and dinking the ball conservative game

razor150

Reaction score
No way 49ers get Revis for Smith straight up, not even if they throw in a 2nd. Smith doesn't have a lot of value, especially since everybody knows he is going to get cut in the offseason.

If we are going to post fantasy trades why not Flynn for Revis straight up?

heyu123

Reaction score
The Jets would be insane to move Revis for Alex Smith as a centerpiece of a deal. Smith would go back to his pre-Harbaugh ineptitude with all the Jets issues.

They can't be that dumb

Basis4day

Reaction score
razor150":1w9gra29 said:
No way 49ers get Revis for Smith straight up, not even if they throw in a 2nd. Smith doesn't have a lot of value, especially since everybody knows he is going to get cut in the offseason.

If we are going to post fantasy trades why not Flynn for Revis straight up?
It's been suggested here :34853_doh:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
So you're going to trade your best player just for Alex Smith to come in and compete with Alex Smith 2.0 (Sanchez)? Once upon a time, Mark Sanchez looked like a capable game manager when grouped with a good defense and running game, too. Idzik isn't that stupid.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1otlkt3z said:
So you're going to trade your best player just for Alex Smith to come in and compete with Alex Smith 2.0 (Sanchez)? Once upon a time, Mark Sanchez looked like a capable game manager when grouped with a good defense and running game, too. Idzik isn't that stupid.

When are you guys gonna stop saying that Alex Smith is a failure, He already had 2 consistent seasons and playing well.
This season many people said Alex Smith had a fluke last season
He is good and already prove to NFL teams that he can start.
Would I take him over Brady/Eli? No, but I would take him if my team didn't had a competent QB.

razor150

Reaction score
Carmon1274":24sjcs27 said:
DavidSeven":24sjcs27 said:

When are you guys gonna stop saying that Alex Smith is a failure, He already had 2 consistent seasons and playing well.
This season many people said Alex Smith had a fluke last season
He is good and already prove to NFL teams that he can start.
Would I take him over Brady/Eli? No, but I would take him if my team didn't had a competent QB.

He is an OK player. His value is nowhere near Revis's. The trade suggested would have the 49ers making out like bandits.

Latest posts