Jon Ryan speaks up on Culliver ...

Tailspin Hawk Fan

Reaction score
As per Jon Ryan twitter @JonRyan9:

"If Chris Culliver isn't suspended by Goodell then I am absolutely embarrassed to be part of a league that accepts this type of behavior."

Good for him for publicly standing up for tolerance.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Eh... Even if you disagree with what he said (I do), I don't see why he should be suspended for freedom of speech.

I mean, if he had said it on the field, I would agree with suspending him. Otherwise, I don't.

razgriz737

Reaction score
He and all other players do represent the NFL, and I'm sure the NFL doesn't want it's players saying stuff like that. (attempting to leave political opinions out of post, don't want to thread hi-jack or get this moved)

Also freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences.

Rocket

Reaction score
The employer has NO right to control a man verbalizing his opinion when he's off the clock. We have a god-given constitutional right to differ and say so...

no matter how vile and repulsive the statement might be.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Rocket":1o0jx9is said:
The employer has NO right to control a man verbalizing his opinion when he's off the clock. We have a god-given constitutional right to differ and say so...
The Constitution only protects free speech from government interference. People get fired for Facebook postings all of the time.

OP
OP
Tailspin Hawk Fan

Tailspin Hawk Fan

Reaction score
Actually, tho I do like Jon speaking up - I don't really feel Culliver should be suspended.

pinksheets

Reaction score
The Outfield":1s25ldnf said:
Eh... Even if you disagree with what he said (I do), I don't see why he should be suspended for freedom of speech.

I mean, if he had said it on the field, I would agree with suspending him. Otherwise, I don't.
That's not what freedom of speech is at all.

He's a shameful bigot publicly representing his employer in a specifically work related interview, yeah his employer can act.

olyfan63

Reaction score
He's secretly getting a bonus check from the media for creating more attention and controversy. The comment was a plant.

Complete with obligatory (most likely phony) apology. San Fran has some smart media people to come up with this one.
Suspend him from the Super Bowl for being honest about what he thinks about a hypothetical situation? You gotta be kidding. Now if gay interest groups decide to boycott the 49ers next year, well, in SF that could be a big deal.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
The Outfield":xs9c1fdy said:

Freedom of speech is a bit of a misnomer. Would you be in favor of letting someone say whatever they want under the banner of freedom of speech if they were coming out in support of al Qaeda or the Nazis?

I haven't heard the Culliver comments but if the NFL is against homophobia or racism they should have the freedom to make a stand as they see appropriate. They are a huge brand with a massive following and should be within their rights to discipline anybody who they deem to be bringing their brand into disrepute.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I'll also add that when I was a teenager I had 5 or 6 friends/acquaintances who were outwardly homophobic. A decade or so later, 3 of them came out, but only after a few years of doing their best to make a few classmates' and teachers' lives miserable.

I'd imagine that a locker room full of alpha-male types would be intimidating workplace in which to be gay. After seeing what happened at high school I always wonder about someone's motives when someone makes an aggressively homophobic statement.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Hawkspur":15fjorqc said:
Freedom of speech is a bit of a misnomer. Would you be in favor of letting someone say whatever they want under the banner of freedom of speech if they were coming out in support of al Qaeda or the Nazis?

Isn't that the way we've always been here?

Hawkspur

Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":1e1cawyo said:
Hawkspur":1e1cawyo said:

Isn't that the way we've always been here?

Legally, usually, Professionally, seldom I'd imagine. I don't think Culliver is at risk of "falling down the stairs", being sent to the gulag or even going to court for this but plenty of people have had worse happen in terms of their employment than being suspended. The NFL has an image to protect and if they want to I'm sure they'll be free to take whatever action they feel is appropriate.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Does this hurt the NFL's image?

Is it not Roger Goodell's job to "protect the shield?"

Just a few things to think about. No need to answer them, think of them as rhetorical.

Suspension? If I were RG I'd enforce this during training camps, and the preseason games, and make sure he just keeps this kind of talk for home and around friends. I just don't see the need for it inside a locker room or around any NFL facility, what would be the purpose...

Latest posts