Kuechly Wins DROY

kearly

Reaction score
The shutout is official. I think if the voting is held after the Superbowl, the results are very different. It took the east coast several extra months to deduce what we've known since early November about our team. Richard Sherman missed the pro-bowl. I think that's all that needs to be said.

I think Wilson and Schneider got robbed, but I am okay with Wagner losing. When Seattle played Carolina early in the season their defense was much tougher to score on than we expected, and Kuechly's move to MLB was a huge reason for it. Since being moved there, Carolina's defense went from one of the worst in the league to top 10 after that point. Don't forget either that John Schneider had Kuechly at the very top of his draft board alongside Barron and Irvin last year.

Kuechly changed his defense. Wagner made plays and certainly elevated the defense (and had a better stat line, IMO), but he struck me as more of a component element than a game changer. I also think that in 5 years time Kuechly will probably be viewed as the bigger star of the two. They are two very similar LBs, and when I scouted Wagner I even referred to him as a poor man's Luke Kuechly.

Not saying Kuechly should have won hands down, but I think it's close enough that it doesn't feel that Wagner was robbed.

Decimation

Reaction score
Eh, I feel like Wagner should have won it, but it is what it is. It's just a award.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Weak sauce, I'm more pissed about this than I am Wilson coming in 3rd in voting.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Bobby would have won if he'd been a first round pick. It's a business, folks, people tune in because they want to hear names they recognize, and no one outside of Seattle knows who the hell Bobby Wagner is.

knownone

Reaction score
kearly":28oihrr8 said:
The shutout is official. I think if the voting is held after the Superbowl, the results are very different. It took the east coast several extra months to deduce what we've known since early November about our team. Richard Sherman missed the pro-bowl. I think that's all that needs to be said.

I think Wilson and Schneider got robbed, but I am okay with Wagner losing. When Seattle played Carolina early in the season their defense was much tougher to score on than we expected, and Kuechly's move to MLB was a huge reason for it. Since being moved there, Carolina's defense went from one of the worst in the league to top 10 after that point. Don't forget either that John Schneider had Kuechly at the very top of his draft board alongside Barron and Irvin last year.

Kuechly changed his defense. Wagner made plays and certainly elevated the defense (and had a better stat line, IMO), but he struck me as more of a component element than a game changer. I also think that in 5 years time Kuechly will probably be viewed as the bigger star of the two. They are two very similar LBs, and when I scouted Wagner I even referred to him as a poor man's Luke Kuechly.

Not saying Kuechly should have won hands down, but I think it's close enough that it doesn't feel that Wagner was robbed.
How exactly did he change his defense? Carolina's defense improved when their pass rush consistently brought pressure, is that a byproduct of Kuechly? Kuechly is a product of a front 4 that cannot stop the run.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Blech. Kuchley led the league in tackles because his shitty defense couldn't get off the field and his shitty offense couldn't stay on it. He had more opportunities to make tackles.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
kearly":2l5ma2vp said:

Hell, some of the AP writers probably didn't even know Seattle had a team before the Bears game!

And the Sherman comparison is a good one because, much like Wilson winning the Pepsi Max ROY award due to the fan vote, Sherman finished second at his position for Pro Bowl fan voting. The "experts" may not notice much that happens West of the Mississippi, but this year's Hawks team got a big thumbs up from the people who actually watched all of the games.

Veilside

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":20v5yk34 said:
kearly":20v5yk34 said:

Hell, some of the AP writers probably didn't even know Seattle had a team before the Bears game!

And the Sherman comparison is a good one because, much like Wilson winning the Pepsi Max ROY award due to the fan vote, Sherman finished second at his position for Pro Bowl fan voting. The "experts" may not notice much that happens West of the Mississippi, but this year's Hawks team got a big thumbs up from the people who actually watched all of the games.

The "experts" picked Sherman to be a first team All-Pro. Just saying.

Sorry, I cannot take into great account anything from a voting system that can be spammed with votes. I'm glad Wilson won the fan voting, but it really just means he was the more popular candidate rather than the most deserving. However, my homer bias toward Wilson makes me believe that he won because the fans saw that he's the most deserving, especially since it went into the post season. Always the possibility that Seattle fans just spammed the hell out of it though too.