Trade idea (Not Flynn related)

TheLargentLine

Reaction score
Many of us feel that we need a WR type that is a burner to help stretch the field. I for one am not apposed to the idea. Like many others, I feel like fixing our pass rush and fixing the middle of our defensive line should be the priority. In fact, I would say that fixing the pass rush and stopping teams from gashing us with runs up the middle are our ONLY problems. That being said, of course we can get better in other areas.

Forgive me if this has been brought up, but I haven't seen it (maybe for good reason). Darrius Heyward-Bey. The guy the Raiders took 7th overall in the 2009 draft and made everyone kind of go "wtf", myself included. He was taken before guys like Nicks, Harvin, Maclin, Britt, and Crabtree. He was taken before a name that his been thrown around a lot lately, Mike Wallace.

I am not blind to the fact that these guys have all been better than he up to this point. I would have said he has probably been better than Crabtree up until Kaepernick took over in San Francisco. Here is what I am thinking: Heyward-Bey is 6'2" and 216 pounds and runs a 4.3 40 and has run as fast as 4.23! Not to mention he has fumbled only twice in his first four years (granted he doesn't get the chance to touch the ball a lot in Oakland, but still). Plus, I believe the guy has got to have a giant chip on his shoulder. He was drafted first over guys like Wallace, Harvin, and Nicks! And he plays across the bay from Crabtree, who many thought might go first at WR, and here he would be in the same division.

I believe he fits the type of WR that the Seahawks could use both physically and mentally. He is in the final year of his contract and the Raiders have plenty of problems they need to fix, so maybe they would be willing to trade for another pick in the draft. Right now people are concerned he is a cap casualty for Oakland, so I have read they may try to restructure his contract. I truly believe he would do really well here if we could get him at good value. With that being said, I am not sure what he is worth at this point, but I know Oakland can't afford him and will either have to rework his contract or release him, but if not what would you guys be willing to give, if anything, for this guy? I think I would be willing to part with a 3rd round pick, if possible. That way we still get a young burner and can use our first two picks on a DE, DT, or TE - whatever it may be.

IDK, I just feel like he has speed and talent that has not been utilized and he fits our scheme. I also feel like he was put in the worst possibly situation by far compared to the other wide receivers mentioned above. What do you guys think?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I think the knock on Heyward-Bey is the same as when he was drafted: He's wicked fast, but he doesn't run great routes and isn't a reliable pass-catcher.

He was drafted solely because of his speed. He was considered a reach at the time, and he has done nothing in the NFL to change that conclusion.

pinksheets

Reaction score
DHB has actually looked pretty improved in his routes and catching, he was pretty decent late 2011 and most of 2012 actually.

However, I wouldn't bother trading for him, he's making something like $7mil this year and is rumored to be a cap casualty. I'd totally be down with bringing him in, especially as depth, if the market isn't very good for him if/when he's released.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
pinksheets":3jpzyo8e said:
DHB has actually looked pretty improved in his routes and catching, he was pretty decent late 2011 and most of 2012 actually.

However, I wouldn't bother trading for him, he's making something like $7mil this year and is rumored to be a cap casualty. I'd totally be down with bringing him in, especially as depth, if the market isn't very good for him if/when he's released.

I watch a lot of Raider games cause they are on my local TV every week. I did not see the improvement you are talking about. He makes some good plays from time to time, but I would not say he's a decent route runner or pass catcher.

OP
OP
TheLargentLine

TheLargentLine

Reaction score
I noticed he had made strides the 2011 season, but took a step back this past season. I did not watch enough Raider games to know if that is mostly a result of the system or DHB himself. They ran a different offense in 2012 than they did in 2011, I believe.