SF blocks DB coach from interviewing for Saints DC position

DavidSeven

Reaction score
"NFL.com reports the 49ers blocked DBs coach Ed Donatell from interviewing for the Saints' defensive-coordinator vacancy.
Teams can block assistants from interviewing for jobs below head coach. It's the second year in a row the 49ers have prevented Donatell from seeking a coordinator job, as the Bucs expressed interest last February."

I thought this was interesting because we've seen that Pete Carroll has been very supportive in letting his coaches and execs interview around the league. He even let Wash take the same job at a different team. What do you guys think of Harbaugh's approach? Fair or selfish? Would Carroll have done the same thing?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me that Harbaugh would do this. His mindset focuses solely on winning a football game, and everything that's at odds with it is destroyed. Even if it means hurting those around you.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think it can seriously backfire on a coach. When you deny a person the right to seek to better themselves, they can easily turn that into resentment, which is something that does not bode well for job performance.

Pete let Quinn go, and he was able to garner valuable experience, and is now coming back having more experience to draw from. IMO, a guy like Quinn will be more willing to go that extra mile for the team and the coach while the guy like Donatell, may, without even realize it, hold back a little bit.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Wow, and that right there shows the difference between the Hawks (Carroll) and the Niners (Harbaugh). I think that's disgusting.

GhostHawk

Reaction score
what i would take out of it is when these coaches contracts expire they are going to jettison themselves away from the team.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I assumed that he would block his coaches from leaving, what a douche, they could of at least given him the option to leave then if he stayed re-upped his contract. There is no coach salary cap, so it's cheap skating your positional coaches. I hope this becomes a Jets type of train wreck next year.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Fine with me. SF's secondary has been getting worse and worse since last year. They were absolutely torched in Atlanta and in the SB.

chihawk

Reaction score
I don't know that it would impact the coach's "performance". He wants to win and show himself off to sign somewhere else when his contract is up, but I would definitely think that it would impact their ability to attract young and up-and-coming coaches to get hired on to the team. A coach would probably think twice about coaching for that team knowing that they may block him from progressing in his career.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I guess you could look at it like the coach just holding his position coaches to the same standard as the players. You signed a contract here, you stay here until it is up or until you are fired.

When a player is wanted by another team, they are not allowed to jump ship...even if it is for a promotion to more playing time. Now when a 49er player whines that he wants out of his contract, Harbaugh can say "nope, you signed a deal. Just like the coaches."

There are multiple ways to look at it. It's not just "Harbaugh is being mean".

Jville

Reaction score
The 49ers are a closed paranoid culture.

Soon, rumors of cannibalism will begin to circulate.

Should be entertaining.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2kp49z6q said:
I guess you could look at it like the coach just holding his position coaches to the same standard as the players. You signed a contract here, you stay here until it is up or until you are fired.

When a player is wanted by another team, they are not allowed to jump ship...even if it is for a promotion to more playing time. Now when a 49er player whines that he wants out of his contract, Harbaugh can say "nope, you signed a deal. Just like the coaches."

There are multiple ways to look at it. It's not just "Harbaugh is being mean".
Yeah, but coaches don't have a union to protect their asses either.

Who do you think will have an easier time attracting good assistant coaches in the future, Pete or Jim?

mikeak

Reaction score
Fine that is their right. Every other team in the league will tell this to guys if they are trying to hire them. We are hiring you as an OL coach and you are considering SF - so make sure you are happy with being an OL coach for the duration of the contract........

CANHawk

Reaction score
Harbs is so going to flame out big time. Fangio and Roman are going to get HC gigs at some point (if the 9'ers weren't in the SB, it probably would have happened this year) and Harbs will be exposed for the lack luster coach he is. No good talent is going to want to work under him because he's clearly a lunatic. The public embarassment of the .500 then losing seasons will drive him nuts and he'll go off the deep end, likely in public (i'm thinking at a press conference or an Applebee's).

It's going to be glorious to see. GLORIOUS!

God I hate Harbaugh. Not just sports hate. I think I REALLY hate him. Like "I want him to go bankrupt and end up living under an overpass" kind of hate. Screw that guy. Screw him right in his face hole. Screw him right in the face hole with a righteous pecker of justice!

benbu75

Reaction score
stash-1-50ff33eeb4ebd.gif

3sr28k

qm.gif

Jim Harbaugh is the devil...

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
CANHawk":125lpswg said:
Harbs is so going to flame out big time. Fangio and Roman are going to get HC gigs at some point (if the 9'ers weren't in the SB, it probably would have happened this year) and Harbs will be exposed for the lack luster coach he is. No good talent is going to want to work under him because he's clearly a lunatic. The public embarassment of the .500 then losing seasons will drive him nuts and he'll go off the deep end, likely in public (i'm thinking at a press conference or an Applebee's).

It's going to be glorious to see. GLORIOUS!

God I hate Harbaugh. Not just sports hate. I think I REALLY hate him. Like "I want him to go bankrupt and end up living under an overpass" kind of hate. Screw that guy. Screw him right in his face hole. Screw him right in the face hole with a righteous pecker of justice!

But his big bother said psycho Jimmy is the " best coach in the NFL," so you must be mistaken. :mrgreen:

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Poor guy.

Is anyone surprised that Jimmy doesn't really care about his staff/players?

IronSaint

Reaction score
Yeah, he really just screwed over the chances of Donatell, or any other position coaches for that matter, re-signing with the team again. He's been stopped not once, but twice from pursuing other endeavors for possibly a better salary. I don't know about you guys but if that'd be me, I'd seriously be pissed off that someone's screwing with my possible financial gains and family's well-being.

We were also probably going to try and pursue their DL coach Jim Tomsula but probably won't since this 7 year old boy trapped in a 49 year old man's body won't let.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Wow...I thought at first this was about blocking him from interviewing during the playoffs (which I completely understand and wish Pete would've done) But he's really not allowing his coaches to seek a promotion elsewhere? At all? That's messed up

Throwdown

Reaction score
Couldn't Donatell just resign from the team and pursue the Saints DC position?

drdiags

Reaction score
The Bears did this with Martz and Tice if I remember correctly a couple years ago or last season with Tice. It has been done before. I thought if it was an promotion that teams wouldn't get in the way but I see that isn't the case.

Latest posts