Nick Barnett to be cut today by Bills

drdiags

Reaction score
In case someone wants to dream up a Seahawk scenario for him here.

Pro Football Weekly ‏@ProFootballWkly

RT @NickBarnett: I was told I'll be released today by the Buffalo Bills. Thanks to all the great Fans and friends I have met in Western NY

pehawk

Reaction score
Hey, he'd be a cheap alternative to Leroy. Barnett puts up numbers.

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
Some more details

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva

#Bills release of LB Nick Barnett clears $3.5M base salary off books. Was a top-10 4-3 OLB in @PFF's 2013 ratings. Turns 32 in May.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
I do believe we're getting low on the aging vet roster spots. We probably have room for one.

I think I'd take him over Leroy.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Maybe. He did a nice job in Buffalo and more importantly for him he showed that he could stay healthy. Pretty remarkable that he played in and started all 32 games during his 2 year stint with the Bills, especially considering his injury history.

He'd actually be OLDER than Leroy Hill, at 31 (Hill's 30), but would probably still be an upgrade. Not to mention he's got tons of the things people love, experience and leadership. Oh, and he's got the Green Bay connection with John Schneider workin for him.

It'll be interesting to see if they give him a look. Anyone know what to make of his coverage skills at this point in his career?

HawkFanNC

Reaction score
Always liked the way he played, both for the Packers and Buffs. Not the biggest guy on the field, but he seems to get his nose in the middle of things and make plays. He is a West Coast guy so maybe he wouldn't mind moving back on a one-year deal to add some depth to our LB corps.

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
The ESPN AFC North blog has this view of Barnett's play

The film review of 2012 is most likely near completion for Buffalo's new coaching staff. Bills rookie head coach Doug Marrone and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine had to be appalled watching last season's run defense. Buffalo was 31st against the run, and Barnett and the entire front seven was pushed around way too often.

A major makeover at linebacker is needed, and cutting Barnett was the first move. Barnett recorded back-to-back seasons of at least 100 tackles. But too many of his stops were made seven and eight yards up the field.

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":17g41g1w said:
Must you enable people, Doc?

I know. I was trying to use reverse psychology but they saw right through my veiled attempt to dissuade them. You have to get up pretty early to slip things past these jokers!

chihawk

Reaction score
Well he is a west coast guy, so he may look to finish off his career out west. I would pick him up if he would sign for a good deal and understand that he would need to compete for his spot and act as a leading veteran to a young team.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":2sommq6d said:
Probably smokes less weed than Leroy

True. However, Afroman, Rasheed Wallace, and Damon Stoudamire seem to smoke less weed than Leroy Hill.

Bipolar

Reaction score
holy smokes, Nick Barnett was an absolute BEAST as a Packer... merely a cap casualty.

Latest posts