If Seahawks did pursue a WR in FA...

kearly

Reaction score
I'm starting to think it might be Greg Jennings. Granted, I think it's pretty likely that Seattle will focus on the draft to add WRs this year, but I do see some reasons why Jennings could hold appeal specifically for the Seahawks:

He could be affordable, and may not require a massive long term commitment.

That might sound a little crazy, since not long ago Greg Jennings was considered one of the five or ten best WRs in the game. BUT, this is a highly competitive free agent WR class, Jennings is 30 years old in September, he's coming off an injury and a relatively poor statistical season, and his own team isn't even trying to keep him. Jennings had an MCL sprain the year before that as well. There will also be those who wonder how Jennings will produce when he's not having one of the greatest QBs in the league throwing to him.

Affordable is a relative term, but with Mike Wallace seeking $10 million annually (and probably getting it), Jennings' circumstances could see him go in the $6 or $7 million a year range. I'm thinking 5/35 could probably get it done for Jennings, especially if the alternatives were crappy teams that have nowhere near the chance we have of making a Superbowl (this will very likely be Jennings last big contract). And if Jennings does have a vibrant market despite his issues the last two years, Seattle can just walk away. But in such a good market and draft for the position, I feel that's probably not going to happen.

Sure, you worry about the age and injury history, but that's the only reason Jennings is hitting the market at all, and the only reason he might be available for less than his talent is worth. Seattle gave out a similar contract for a similar injury risk in Sidney Rice, and I'd say that so far Rice is earning his money. While Seattle is generally averse to signing players nearing 30, their mantra to date has been about finding value and exploiting market inefficiencies. They did not originally plan on signing Flynn for instance, but that stance changed when Flynn's market was much softer than anticipated. If Jennings is wallowing out there while guys like Wallace, Bowe, or Welker demand the lion's share of attention, Seattle's interest could warm.

The Green Bay connection.

Greg Jennings was drafted by the Packers in 2006. John Schneider was not only a member of the Packers front office at the time, he was Ted Thompson's right hand man. Schneider has shown interest in former Packers players from time to time, among them Breno Giacomini and Ruvell Martin. That doesn't mean that Jennings is a slam dunk or anything, but familiarity matters, and Schneider knows Jennings about as well as anyone outside the Packers front office.

Jennings fixes our true problem at WR.

Early in the year, a lot of people, even Seahawks fans, blasted our WR corps for being "average", or worse. I disagreed with them. I'd probably put our current trio among the 10 or 15 best in the NFL top to bottom. It's a good, underrated group that helped accommodate Wilson during his late season ascension. But even I know this WR corps has one not so little problem (besides injury and lack of depth). That problem is that none of our WRs are all that good at getting open when plays break down and Wilson is improvising on the move. Seattle should add depth, and maybe a new starter at WR this offseason, but it's critical that they add at least one starter caliber player that knows how to get creative for his QB.

Jennings comes from a very similar passing offense with a very similar QB. Rodgers is one of the best, if not the best, QBs in the league at buying time and finding open WRs on the move- it's a huge part of their offense. So it's no stretch to say that Jennings is very familiar with the concept. And I'm not sure you'd find that guy in the draft- at least not in his rookie season. Maybe DeAndre Hopkins could pull it off right away, but I'd bet money Seattle goes defense in round 1 anyway.

While Jennings isn't quite the deep threat that Mike Wallace is, if he's healthy (and he looked healthy near the end of the season), he could be back to his old form- a WR that was great after the catch but also a threat deep, like a better version of Golden Tate. Jennings averaged around 16 yards per catch from 2008 to 2010 before injuries struck the next two years.

The time is right.

Around this time last year, John Schneider had an interview with Brock and Salk and talked about the draft and offseason in about as much detail as you could reasonably expect him to. There was one very interesting thing he said in that interview. He brought up former Packers great Reggie White, and talked about how "the time was right." Making a splurge on White made sense because the Packers felt they were close to a Superbowl.

Seattle has the money to make that big signing this free agency if they choose to. If they trade/release Flynn and make other money saving moves then the skids are greased further. Perhaps they feel that a player like Jennings (or Tony Gonzalez, who's gone from 95% to "50/50" on retirement already) could be that final spark they need to reach the promised land?

I'm not saying it's likely, but if the right things come together Greg Jennings could be a Seahawk next month, and we'd have all been slapping our foreheads the next day wondering why we didn't see it coming a mile away. If Jennings turns into a relative "buy low" opportunity, he could make a lot of sense for John Schneider and Pete Carroll.

sutz

Reaction score
One thing I noticed (among others) about John and Pete is that, even though they have "rules" they use to select which players they go after, they are not pathologically wedded to them. If they see a guy that will help the team, they will go for him, regardless if he meets their 'perfect' criteria. That ability to have strong guidelines, while maintaining flexibility in their application, is one of the things I love about them.

I don't expect any big FA splash this off season, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did something. You make valid points about Jennings being that type of move. I'm not sure there is a similar player available in the pass rush department with credentials like Jennings has in the receiver corps.

drdiags

Reaction score
Wouldn't be a bad move since JS/PC have been looking for a player like Jennings since they have been here. BMW, Edwards, Owens and Bryant were their low-end attempts to acquire some of the traits Jennings has. Marshall and Jackson were their top-end attempts.

The fact that the Packers have to let him walk is surprising to me. Age and other good young talent made him expendable but I thought he would be like Donald Driver with them.

I prefer home-grown talent but the team may not be in position to wait for their young depth guys nor make a Julio Jones type draft trade. I didn't think the team would make a Rice or Miller type signing, so I am no longer going to think these type of signings are not part of their DNA. I just hope they choose wisely.

30 yr old WRs may not be over the hill and should make for a fun training camp if he and Browner get to pick up where they left off last year.

purpleworld

Reaction score
I'm all for adding a few players like Jennings and Freeney to take us to that next level in 2013/2014...because soon we will have our own free agents coming to market and we won't be able to keep them all....so the time is NOW while we have control over our own top talent to add a few more pieces for a Super Bowl run!

garydrake425

Reaction score
He's gonna take the best job for him and his family. So, Money and a nice area with good schools and low crime might look attractive to him. Im really not all that excited for this one.

Hamhawk

Reaction score
mark me down as just so so on bringing in Jennings,...very good player, but he's not a very big guy may be injury prone at his age now,...

joeshaney

Reaction score
Don't see it.
Don't see us spending money at wr.
Becuz we don't need to so why?
What's in it for us?
Draft someone cheeper, younger, and faster....and bigger.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
If we do go with FA WR why not Welker? Evidently the pats aren't tagging him. We could probably get him for a relative steal for a one year contract.

kf3339

Reaction score
Your right Kearly there is a GB connection that could be considered, but I just hope it's a missing piece that is more of a need right now, like our defensive line. A 5 year, $35M contract could also get us a premier 3tech DT that we need a lot more right now.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I personally don't see any top FA WRs. Greg Jennings is probably the safest bet, if we were to do that. But we'd have to assume the absolutely horrible luck we've had with FA WRs over the decades would change. Wilson may be able to make everyone look good, sure. But he spreads the ball around, and seems pretty enigmatic on who he's going to pick at any given time to have a productive day. For all we know Jennings, Wallace, Bowe, or Cruz could well be less of a factor then our current receivers. Russell just wins, he doesn't care who he drags along with him.

Last thing I want is a 8 million+ FA receiver being less of a factor then Rice, Tate, Baldy, and Miller. Laughing it up on the way to a ring and full of excuses for being a lazy ass.

DE/DT is where the lion's share of cap money should be spent, IMO. Perhaps others believe the magical curse of the FA WR is gone because we have a top 5 QB (and I know he is), but really, Russell just doesn't care who he's supposed to throw the ball to or how big of a contract they're holding us up for.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I see them making possibly one big free agent signing, but I have to think it will be a D line player and not a wide receiver. Some team is going to give Jennings more than he is worth in my opinion, and I don't think the Hawks will overpay.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1rt3lvcq said:
If we do go with FA WR why not Welker? Evidently the pats aren't tagging him. We could probably get him for a relative steal for a one year contract.

Welker isn't signing a one year contract.

On topic: A Jennings signing also fits in with the 'reward' your own players mold in a round about sort of way. I can see it happening.

mikeak

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3c07gvt2 said:

Not only does he not sign a one year contract but he won't be a steal for anybody. Pats are willing to pay way more than "steal money" .......

Hendo66

Reaction score
Kind of dig Amendola, doubt the Rams let him walk but he's a gamer that shouldn't cost as much as all the usual names. Then draft a bigger WR.