The Charles Woodson connection

kf3339

Reaction score
No, this is not a thread meant to get Woodson on the Hawks. He was a great player, but past his prime and still would be too expensive for our needs.

This is about what Green Bay did to get a premier defensive player in FA that was a missing piece to ultimately get them to the Super Bowl and win. If you remember they signed Woodson to a 7 year deal for over $50M that at the time was a lot of money for an NFL player. In fact is still is to this day. But they did it even though their mantra was and still is to build thru the draft.

So what does this have to do with our Hawks?

We are facing the same thing this offseason. Many want us to continue building thru the draft and not commit large contracts to veterans that can fill a major need today. I'm talking about our pass rush, and specifically our interior defensive QB pressure.

We just don't have a real 3tech DT on this team that is a 3 down player and it is one of the most glaring holes keeping this team from a championship caliber defense. The Giants won two Superbowls with a dominant defensive line that manhandled Brady not once, but twice in the biggest game of the year.

So while I still hear posters talk about building thru the draft and not commit to a major FA signing, I really hope that JS and PC think the Green Bay model that includes a major signing to a defense that is very close that championship.

To finish, I really want the Hawks to go heavy for a 3tech DT in FA that can fill that need for today and hopefully another 5-6 years. If they can do it sign a DE for a fair deal, but keep their eyes on the interior pass rush.

Please JS and PC, make it so!

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
How do you know he'd be too expensive? Has he told you his monetary demands?

IronSaint

Reaction score
Hell, I wouldn't mind him myself if we'd be able to work him in and remain under the cap. He could provide us with that "spark" Darren Sharper gave us in the 2009 season...

Just wishful thinking. :lol: