Obligatory Steven Jackson thread

JesterHawk

Reaction score
ESPN reporting that Steven Jackson will void the final year of his contract and become a free agent. As much as I think he would make an amazing 1-2 punch with Marshawn, I know we won't pay him. He's 29 and probably looking for a decent payday from a contender. I think Atlanta makes a ton of sense if they can swing it financially. They cut Turner and I don't see Quizz being an every down guy.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Atlanta's got to go with a rookie at some point, though. You can't rely on a guy who's about to pass the RB age point. They're getting rid of Turner for a reason.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
I wonder what the market is for him. He is too old for a young, rebuilding team.

A contender like Atlanta or the Pats will be interested, but not going to spend much on him.

I think he will re sign with theRams. He is testing FA to drive up his price for that last paycheck, but there isn't much market for him.

OP
OP
JesterHawk

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":38xtya1t said:
Atlanta's got to go with a rookie at some point, though. You can't rely on a guy who's about to pass the RB age point. They're getting rid of Turner for a reason.

Agreed, but if Gonzo is coming back for one more year you need a guy who is good to go now... And Steven Jackson is a better back than Turner IMO. They could still draft a rookie.

mikeak

Reaction score
First of all we don't need him. Turbin and Lynch is all we need. One paid very well and the other paid as a rookie. This isn't the spot to spend money on

Guess I don't have a second of all - don't care where he ends up he won't be the difference maker but could be a good player for a team. Maybe Carolina needs one more running back and wants to pay him like $20M/year to sit on the bench.......(SARCASM)

AnchoviesofTerror

Reaction score
Happypuppy":2rtb3xq3 said:
Too old. A back at 28 is ancient. Maybe New England?

i think new england found its running game during the 2nd part of the year, i think GB would be a better fit for Jackson. last time the packers had a good runing game they won the superbowl

IronSaint

Reaction score
As mentioned, I don't want him going to the Falcons myself because he has more left than Turner (who's going to be gone anyway). But if it comes down to them getting Jackson or them drafting Eddie Lacy, I'll take them signing Jackson any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I'm a Bama fan, and I'm scared to death to see Lacy in that black helmet; bad enough Julio's already in one. :pukeface:

RiggoReincarnated

Reaction score
That dude could have set NFL records on a more balanced offense. That being said, these days its extremely rare to see a back that can still play as an NFL caliber starting RB past 30.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I bet he lands in Indy. Jackson could be for the Colts what Corey Dillon was for the Patriots. He's still pretty good at everything, and would make a killer 3rd down back. Which would make Luck's job easier.

The Radish

Reaction score
Up till now Jacksons had a great career and has my respect. I wish him well anywhere he lands except playing against us. But he doesn't like us much cause as I recall he never had a 100 rushing game against us.

I'm surprised he's leaving at this point cause I think Jeff would have used him in the best possible light. And this is his last chance at a big contract tho I doubt anyone offers him more than he had coming with the Rams, or even as much.

:les:

OP
OP
JesterHawk

JesterHawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":37l2q2v6 said:
I bet he lands in Indy. Jackson could be for the Colts what Corey Dillon was for the Patriots. He's still pretty good at everything, and would make a killer 3rd down back. Which would make Luck's job easier.

Good call. On that note, Denver could make a good spot for him too (and they are more likely to be old-dude friendly at this juncture).

m0ng0

Reaction score
Maybe Tom Brady's new contract will allow New England to pick him up? SJ is a stud and would probably still start for about 1/2 the league. Pittsburgh is another place I think he could do well.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Why hasn't anybody. Anywhere. Mentioned Green Bay? Are they going to try to go without a running game FOREVER?

As much as I respect Jackson's game it compounds my appreciation for ow limited his success has been against Seattle all time.

OP
OP
JesterHawk

JesterHawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3liki111 said:
Why hasn't anybody. Anywhere. Mentioned Green Bay? Are they going to try to go without a running game FOREVER?

As much as I respect Jackson's game it compounds my appreciation for ow limited his success has been against Seattle all time.

Seven posts in, anchoviesofterror. GOOD DAY SIR.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
JesterHawk":3n16z3aw said:
bestfightstory":3n16z3aw said:

You missed a golden opportunity to INCORRECT me.

OP
OP
JesterHawk

JesterHawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":oix91wky said:
JesterHawk":oix91wky said:
bestfightstory":oix91wky said:

You missed a golden opportunity to INCORRECT me.

INCORRECT!

RedAlice

Reaction score
m0ng0":2uve95xk said:
Denver might be a good landing spot also.

If he goes anywhere other than Packers, Pats or Denver, it will be a waste.

I just don't see Atlanta winning with or without him. So that deal would be heartbreaking.

Your team doesn't need him, and I see him wanting to contribute, not just win.

If he has to leave, I hope it's somewhere I can understand why and still root for him to win his title. He's been the force of the Rams for so long, it is going to be tough no matter where he lands.

For a fan, this is not like losing a good player, this is losing THE player who was the only guy in the bad years.