Oh my God, Chiefs trade for Alex Smith..

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • Good move by the 49ers. Not gonna stress about it though. Seahawks need to get better regardless of what their opponents do.

Anybody know who SF's backup QB is now?
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:Good move by the 49ers. Not gonna stress about it though. Seahawks need to get better regardless of what their opponents do.

They could trade for Flynn? :D
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:Good move by the 49ers. Not gonna stress about it though. Seahawks need to get better regardless of what their opponents do.

The only other qb on the roster listed is Scott Tolzien. I'm guessing they'll pick up someone with one of their draft picks, a free agent or both.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I'm waiting for Ashton Kutcher to jump out of a closet and tell me I just got punk'd. This can't be true. TWO second round picks? Did they see the first 5 years of his career?
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

• JesterHawk wrote:Did they see the first 5 years of his career?

I imagine they're much more concerned with the most recent 1.5 seasons than they are with anything he did as a rookie.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    SeahawksFanForever wrote:Could you guys imagine 49ers grabbing DeAndre Hopkins and Ryan Swope both? Eddie Lacy to back up Gore? Tyler Eifert or Zach Ertz as their second TE?

Or trade up and grab a solid DT to eventually replace Justin Smith?

This won't happen. They're going to package these picks for a player they want.. whether that's an NFL veteran (Revis, Harvin, etc) or a guy in the upper part of the draft is the only thing that remains to be seen.

They simply don't have the roster spots for FIFTEEN rookies.

If they are going to package these picks for a player then want then I expect that player to be a rookie in this draft. They can not afford Revis or Harvin because of their cap issues. They're already paying a lot of guys, and Crabtree, Aldon Smith, Iupati, and Kaepernick are up soon.

And, getting a rookie D-linemen to eventually replace Justin Smith makes the most sense to me. Either way, they are going to have a lot of options.
    Last edited by SeahawksFanForever on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• SeahawksFanForever wrote:Image

LOL! I just uploaded this and posted it on my ONLY Whiner friend's FB wall.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• Scott Tolzien looked good in preseason. Many were expecting him to be above Kaepernick in the draft chart because he was a better pocket passer.

He can't scramble though.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

• First thought, Bwhahahaha KC got jobbed. Second Thought, Screw the Whiners, can't believe they received that for Alex Smith.

This is a crazy move, on par with the Ponder reach by Minnesota.

I just don't want Suck Fest picking up any of our targets, b*ttholes.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

• I suspect Harbaugh will bring in a veteran backup for cheap. Suppose they could also be in the market for a EJ Manuel or Matt Scott with their offense
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• volsunghawk wrote:
    JesterHawk wrote:Did they see the first 5 years of his career?

I imagine they're much more concerned with the most recent 1.5 seasons than they are with anything he did as a rookie.

He was a rookie for one of those first five years, and your reply would still only make sense if Smith had success with a decent offense of some kind that didn't depend on tons of great talent on both sides of the ball. In other words, if Smith was capable of running an offense that wasn't really simple and avoided throwing more than 10-15 yards at a time, ever.

:roll:
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RiggoReincarnated wrote:Why didn't they trade Kaepernick instead? Smith beat Seattle. Kaepernick was lost.

That was Kaepernick's 6th start. He went 19-36, 244, 1 TD, 1 INT. Russell Wilson's 7th start featured a 26 QBR and an amazing 122 yards on 9 of 23 passing, 0 TDs and an INT. People forget just how green Kaepernick is. Give him a full season as a starter like Russell Wilson and then we'll see.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Starter

• Rings, I'm pretty sure he was trolling. Also, he's not THAT green, (compared to a fresh rookie with the same number of starts that started from day one) he sat on a team for a year-and-a-half that reached the NFCCG in his rookie year while he was riding the pine.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:
    JesterHawk wrote:Did they see the first 5 years of his career?

He was a rookie for one of those first five years, and your reply would still only make sense if Smith had success with a decent offense of some kind that didn't depend on tons of great talent on both sides of the ball. In other words, if Smith was capable of running an offense that wasn't really simple and avoided throwing more than 10-15 yards at a time, ever.

:roll:

Don't get me wrong. I don't think Smith is a world-beater. I think he's a slightly better version of Matt Flynn, frankly.

But a team wanting a solid game manager QB could do worse than Smith, and KC isn't completely void of talent (except at the QB position). And I seriously doubt that Reid is looking at Smith and thinking that KC will automatically replicate what SF did in the last 2 years with him.

What he's seeing, though, is a guy who performed well when surrounded by a good team and given stability in the coaching staff/system. KC may not have the "good team" part yet, but Reid is banking that he'll be able to deliver at least a few years of stability to KC, and he likely thinks that Smith will be able to play solid ball while Reid continues to add pieces to the team. Remember, Smith may have sucked badly his first 5 years, but so did SF coaching, and Smith had 5 different OCs during that time. There's not a hell of a lot of QBs out there who would have looked good in that scenario.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• How the hell are we going to win the division now? Can a trade like that even be done on Madden? The F$#@!
    Decimation
    NET Veteran

• Why does everyone on here hate Andy Reid so much? He chiefs now have a good chance at getting the 5 or 6 seed with Alex Smith and the no.1 pick
    seahawks875
    NET Rookie

• Decimation wrote:How the hell are we going to win the division now?

Russell Wilson and John Schneider

Kap might actually be a decent to pretty good QB but Wilson appears to be something special. It is also yet to be seen how either of them handle it when defenses catch on to the read option but who are you really more confident in if they both don't have it available anymore?

While the Niners have quite a bit of draft picks, we are in the double digits with picks as well. The draft is never a guarantee, so while either team can still have a lackluster draft(or an amazing one) with all the picks they have but are you really going to bet against Schneider?
    amill87
    NET Veteran

• That's the thing, Volsung. Alex Smith is not a solid game manager. He's a only a solid game manager on an otherwise elite team, which the Chiefs are far from being. A solid game manager only requires a decent team to break above an even record, not a great one.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I'm hoping to find out there was collusion on this. That's got to be the only way this really happened.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:I'm hoping to find out there was collusion on this. That's got to be the only way this really happened.

Naw, I'm pretty sure roofies is the other possibility.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Wow. Wow! The Chiefs are so stupid it hurts. They traded the farm for Cassell after his one good year, it failed miserably, and now they're correcting the mistake by trading the farm for Smith after one good year? This is astronomically stupid. I'm stunned. I don't know who to feel worse for, Chiefs fans or the rest of the NFC. Harbaugh must be dancing like an old prospector right now. Gold, gold. How appropriate.
    "I'm gonna call him--what do you call the guy on the trampoline?--Harry Houdini or something like that." -Warren Moon on Golden Tate
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

• When Reid had his good years he had a really good down the field QB,(Donovan McNabb wasn't it)?

I don't see Smith being that good a flinger to work in that kind of offense.

just sayin'

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• RolandDeschain wrote:That's the thing, Volsung. Alex Smith is not a solid game manager. He's a only a solid game manager on an otherwise elite team, which the Chiefs are far from being. A solid game manager only requires a decent team to break above an even record, not a great one.

Gonna have to disagree with you, then, both on what constitutes a "solid game manager" and whether Alex Smith is one.

A solid game manager will only be as good as the team around him, and his primary job will be to avoid turning the ball over.

The 49ers put him in charge of an otherwise elite team, and he responded by doing what was asked of him for the most part. In 2011, he dinked and dunked a ton, but made sure to avoid turnovers like the plague - and that paid off pretty well for the 49ers. This year, his performances were better, as he had a higher completion percentage and YPA while continuing to limit bad plays and turnovers.

And you have to think that's important to Reid as he's trying to rework the Chiefs. Smith's not going to turn the ball over much. Outside of the Giants game this past season, you have to go back to early in the 2010 season to find the last time Smith had a multi-pick game.

In the end, the evidence on Smith points to a guy who can be quite accurate and will protect the ball. And if you give him good coaching and good support, he can win plenty of games. I imagine that Reid considers himself a good coach, so there's part of that equation already done.

What we can agree on, though, is that the amount of compensation is kind of ridiculous. I wouldn't have been surprised to hear that Smith went to KC for the Chiefs' 2nd round pick. What surprised me is that there was a 2014 pick involved at all.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Just throwing this out there because I haven't seen anyone bring this up yet.

John Clayton was on with Brock and Salk this morning and made it really clear that the details of this are pretty sketchy at this point. What's unknown at this point is whether or not:

A) the 49ers have their own 2nd Round Pick (#61) in addition to having the Chiefs #33 Pick

or

B) the 49ers and Chiefs have merely flip-flopped positions in the 2nd Round (i.e. the Niners send the #61 Pick to the Chiefs as part of this deal).

On the surface though, I'd say it's a good deal for them --- unfortunately. That means, of course, that the Chiefs are going to probably release Matt Cassel. And that would be one more guy out there on the FA market that could potentially mess up the value of what the Seahawks could expect back in a Matt Flynn deal.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Hawkscanner wrote:Just throwing this out there because I haven't seen anyone bring this up yet.

John Clayton was on with Brock and Salk this morning and made it really clear that the details of this are pretty sketchy at this point. What's unknown at this point is whether or not:

A) the 49ers have their own 2nd Round Pick (#61) in addition to having the Chiefs #33 Pick

or

B) the 49ers and Chiefs have merely flip-flopped positions in the 2nd Round (i.e. the Niners send the #61 Pick to the Chiefs as part of this deal).

On the surface though, I'd say it's a good deal for them --- unfortunately. That means, of course, that the Chiefs are going to probably release Matt Cassel. And that would be one more guy out there on the FA market that could potentially mess up the value of what the Seahawks could expect back in a Matt Flynn deal.

There's no way the Niners gave their second as well.

They got the Chiefs second and a mid round pick next year. The only sketchy detail is what the condition of the 2014 pick likely will be. If that could reach a 3rd or second as well this trade is absolute thievery.
    heyu123
    NET Starter

• I am not worried about 49ers having all of these picks as long as they don't draft my favorite prospects or players that I want hawks to draft.
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• Alex Smith doesn't turn the ball over. That is what killed the Chiefs last year. As far as setting himself up to get fired I don't know of a coached that's tied to a second rounder.

That said I think they overpaid a little. With that roster he could get them in the playoffs easy. Is that worth it?
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• If you look at it like this:

2010 - Seattle got a 2nd 1st round pick they used for Earl Thomas due to Denver's stupidity
    2011 - Cardinals give up to Philly DRC, picks and decent size contract to Kevin Kolb
    2012 - Rams got several 1st round picks from Washington, who wanted RGIII really bad
    2013 - 49ers get KC's 2nd for Alex Smith and numerous possible slants on what else comprised the trade

Aside from the Cardinals, the NFC West has gotten fat off other divisions thirst for quick fixes in recent years.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    RiggoReincarnated wrote:Why didn't they trade Kaepernick instead? Smith beat Seattle. Kaepernick was lost.

That was Kaepernick's 6th start. He went 19-36, 244, 1 TD, 1 INT. Russell Wilson's 7th start featured a 26 QBR and an amazing 122 yards on 9 of 23 passing, 0 TDs and an INT. People forget just how green Kaepernick is. Give him a full season as a starter like Russell Wilson and then we'll see.

but what about Wilson's 6th start?
    surely you compare like for like?
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• themunn wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    RiggoReincarnated wrote:Why didn't they trade Kaepernick instead? Smith beat Seattle. Kaepernick was lost.

but what about Wilson's 6th start?
    surely you compare like for like?

Doesn't matter. Wilson obviously has more experience since he was the starter from the beginning of the season and got all of those 1st team reps. Everybody knows sitting on the bench for a season and a half learning the system doesn't do anything as far as development goes. :sarcasm off:
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• If the Seahawks can get the number 11 pick on the draft for Rick Mirer and a 4th, there is always room for that level of stupidity.

The Niners are getting money for garbage. Smith's best season was one where he mastered the art of the 12 play, 54 yard drive that ended with a FG on acteam that ran, ran and ran some more.

It would be quite entertaining if Smith just lights it up under Reid, where Kaepernasal regresses and throws a bunch of picks. Not likely, but it would be therapeutic.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• I'd die laughing and smirking, Loaf.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Apparently the trade can't be made until March 12th. Wonder if there's any chance that Reid reads all the negative press, realizes he got fleeced and renegs on the deal?
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• loafoftatupu wrote:If the Seahawks can get the number 11 pick on the draft for Rick Mirer and a 4th, there is always room for that level of stupidity.

The Niners are getting money for garbage. Smith's best season was one where he mastered the art of the 12 play, 54 yard drive that ended with a FG on acteam that ran, ran and ran some more.

It would be quite entertaining if Smith just lights it up under Reid, where Kaepernasal regresses and throws a bunch of picks. Not likely, but it would be therapeutic.

Actually, his best season was the one he was having until he got concussed and was replaced by Kaepernick.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:

And yet he still had the Seahawks in position to win in the 4th quarter.

Kaeperpick put his team in position to take a high hard one and in the 4th quarter padded his stats in garbage time.

You can keep Kaeperfreak, while he is better than Smith, he doesn't have Wilson's Mojo. Something you don't get from training camp or offseason workouts.
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• volsunghawk wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:If the Seahawks can get the number 11 pick on the draft for Rick Mirer and a 4th, there is always room for that level of stupidity.

Actually, his best season was the one he was having until he got concussed and was replaced by Kaepernick.

It's really too bad we didn't get to see Smith finish that season off. Something tells me Harbs was just waiting for the chance to justify replacing him.
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:Alex Smith doesn't turn the ball over. That is what killed the Chiefs last year. As far as setting himself up to get fired I don't know of a coached that's tied to a second rounder.

That said I think they overpaid a little. With that roster he could get them in the playoffs easy. Is that worth it?

I can see that, but Reid doesn't strike me as a guy who wants to run the ball all day while his QB peppers out passes here and there in the low risk game. It can work there though, they have the running game to start that way. As long as Pey-Pey is in Denver, they would have to make it as a wildcard.
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• I think it is what the Chiefs need. KC ha several pro bowl players. Real just needs a not stupid qb and he will give him the right system. Look at Mcnabb, Kolb. Give him a stupid qb and you get the eagles for the past two years. Alex Smith is not stupid.

The second pick is supposedly conditional. Probably based on starts so without a decent backup that becomes pretty guaranteed.

My main issue is Carolina, SF, Washington & Seahawks are looking for the backup read-option qb now. Then on top of that any other team that wants a go at read option...

I say we sign someone in FA if we want to get rid off Flynn.

I also think Flynn with a conditional trade will happen. How Arizona is supposedly looking at Cassel now blows my mind...
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:21 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information