Jared Cook- not expected to be tagged

lukerguy

Reaction score
Looks like the Titans are expected to let Cook his the market. They were originally going to tag him, but then he was prepared to fight to be tagged as a WR rather than a TE due to his height/weight/speed combo.

The Nashville Tennessean reports, an "impasse" between the two parties.

Jared Cook would be my #1 target in UFA if he indeed does come on to the market. He has the skill set to be the most talented TE in the league- 6'5, 4.40 40 time, 41 inch vert, good hands.

kidhawk

Reaction score
TE tag is set at around $5.5 million, where the WR tag is over $10 million. This tells me he has his worth set at a number closer to $10 million than $5 million and it's unlikely anyone's getting him for a bargain. I don't think our need there is quite that great IMO

garrylt4

Reaction score
Would be great to have him but isn't Miller all ready taking up a bunch of cap space?

pinksheets

Reaction score
kidhawk":1z0ysb54 said:
TE tag is set at around $5.5 million, where the WR tag is over $10 million. This tells me he has his worth set at a number closer to $10 million than $5 million and it's unlikely anyone's getting him for a bargain. I don't think our need there is quite that great IMO
I took it as Cook just trying to strongarm his way to FA. He won't get a contract like that, but he really wants out of Tennessee. I don't blame him.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
pinksheets":2o0n5m38 said:
kidhawk":2o0n5m38 said:
I took it as Cook just trying to strongarm his way to FA. He won't get a contract like that, but he really wants out of Tennessee. I don't blame him.

I agree. I suspect he signs for 4-6MM for 5 years. At that price, his value is undeniable with his skill set.

kidhawk

Reaction score
a 25-30 million dollar contract over 5 years is still pretty hefty considering what we are paying Miller. The only way it works is if we are willing to release Miller and the contract he has. I don't know if it's worth the trade off. Miller has proven to be a great veteran commodity who is willing to sacrifice his own stats for the betterment of the team. He also has shown that when his number is called in the passing game that he still can be the receiver he was before coming here. I just don't think it's worth the trade off IMO and it's definitely not worth 10% of the team's entire cap for 2 TE's

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I would love to have him but I am not sure he would want to come to Seattle. His main beef with the Titans was that he was not getting enough passes coming his way. Considering how Miller's production dropped off when he got to Seattle, that won't be enticing. But as Wilson gets better, he will surely be throwing more and more. Maybe there is hope!

kearly

Reaction score
I didn't realize players could fight a franchise tag (other than putting it in their contract for future seasons). I figured the tag was an "executive powers" kind of thing.

mikeak

Reaction score
kearly":3hn725v4 said:
I didn't realize players could fight a franchise tag (other than putting it in their contract for future seasons). I figured the tag was an "executive powers" kind of thing.

The way this was fought was smart. He was making the case that due to how he lined up he couldn't / shouldn't be franchised based on TE money but as WR. At a minimum it was argued that X % of the time (think it was 80%) he was a WR so he should get X % WR franchise money and the remainder as TE if not all as WR.

The point of that would have been if he won that Titans would have been stuck with more than they wanted to pay.

I agree with others he doesn't expect $10 million per year but if you are a NFL player you REALLY REALLY don't want that one year contract. It puts you in a really bad spot if you get injured so he wants to be free to sign a deal with anyone that has the $10 million signing bonus and maybe $2 million per year guaranteed so that he makes at a minimum $20 million over the next five years no matter what happens to him.

I can't blame him. We can balk at the amount of money involved but it is what it is and he should protect his future to the max

Red Beard

Reaction score
lukerguy":1n99ieff said:
Looks like the Titans are expected to let Cook his the market. They were originally going to tag him, but then he was prepared to fight to be tagged as a WR rather than a TE due to his height/weight/speed combo.

The Nashville Tennessean reports, an "impasse" between the two parties.

Jared Cook would be my #1 target in UFA if he indeed does come on to the market. He has the skill set to be the most talented TE in the league- 6'5, 4.40 40 time, 41 inch vert, good hands.

No, it's because he lined up in the slot or out wide approximately 70% of the time, meaning, he played as a WR a majority of the year and should be tagged as such.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
mikeak":1guyj57h said:
kearly":1guyj57h said:

The way this was fought was smart. He was making the case that due to how he lined up he couldn't / shouldn't be franchised based on TE money but as WR. At a minimum it was argued that X % of the time (think it was 80%) he was a WR so he should get X % WR franchise money and the remainder as TE if not all as WR.

The point of that would have been if he won that Titans would have been stuck with more than they wanted to pay.

I agree with others he doesn't expect $10 million per year but if you are a NFL player you REALLY REALLY don't want that one year contract. It puts you in a really bad spot if you get injured so he wants to be free to sign a deal with anyone that has the $10 million signing bonus and maybe $2 million per year guaranteed so that he makes at a minimum $20 million over the next five years no matter what happens to him.

I can't blame him. We can balk at the amount of money involved but it is what it is and he should protect his future to the max
Green Bay had the same issue with Finley, difference being they had lined Finley up at TE just over half the time. Suggs and the Ravens also disagreed about his designation as a LB/DE.

hawker84

Reaction score
I guess i'm still not seeing the problem we have at the TE position.. Miller's a probowler, and McCoy is good, just needs to be more consistant.. i think we have much larger holes to fill, before TE.. did i miss something here?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
hawker84":byk85qya said:
I guess i'm still not seeing the problem we have at the TE position.. Miller's a probowler, and McCoy is good, just needs to be more consistant.. i think we have much larger holes to fill, before TE.. did i miss something here?

They are going to carry at least 3 TE's on the roster. Right now the guys competing for that 3rd spot are a bunch of no names. It is an obvious spot to upgrade.

Basis4day

Reaction score
hawker84":1zx2aca1 said:

It could be better, but doesn't need to be high priced FA better. Thinking more a later stage FA signing, or a 2-3 rd pick.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Jared Cook is highly over rated in my opinion. He is less than he sum of the parts, the athleticism is awesome, his FBI is not too good. And he blocks like a fruit fly.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Winslow, Shiancoe, Moore, and this new basketball player te guy.
Its crystal clear to me that the seahawks badly want a playmaking tight end.
Theyve been searching for a guy like Cook much more than any other offensive position player.
Only Pete and john could know how much they are willing to pay, but there's no denying he'd be a great fit.