Fred Davis is still out there

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Dustin Keller got just 1 year / 4.25 million from the Dolphins. Would you guys be interested in Fred Davis to the Hawks for a deal similar to that? When healthy, he is extremely explosive for a TE and would give the Hawks a lethal 2 TE set with Miller. I like McCoy as a solid if unspectacular all around TE but Davis brings a whole new level of pass catching ability.

The longer he is on the market the more of a possibility it becomes I would think, and that Keller deal seems very team friendly. For the record, I'd rather see a DT like Branch signed before anything else though.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I rather the Hawks draft Zach Ertz in the 2nd round if he's still available... or Gavin Escobar in the 3rd if he's still there.

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle only has about 5.5 million left in space this year, and next year's cap is going to be crowded.

Since we traded our first, the means we only need $2 - $3 million to cover our draft picks. We still have to sign Hauschka back though. So, basically looking at $1.5 to $2.5 million in functional cap space. It could be done, but you'd probably have to restructure some deals and put the team in an even more uncomfortable cap situation next year.

This is a deep TE class, and Seattle's needs at TE aren't that big. All things considered, we have 8 picks, we have to use them for something.

w00t

Reaction score
^yup. We don't have a unlimited cap space :/

Remember we also need to sign our rookies also. I would rather draft a TE.

pinksheets

Reaction score
kearly":r3el68x1 said:
Seattle only has about 5.5 million left in space this year, and next year's cap is going to be crowded.

Since we traded our first, the means we only need $2 - $3 million to cover our draft picks. We still have to sign Hauschka back though. So, basically looking at $1.5 to $2.5 million in functional cap space. It could be done, but you'd probably have to restructure some deals and put the team in an even more uncomfortable cap situation next year.

This is a deep TE class, and Seattle's needs at TE aren't that big. All things considered, we have 8 picks, we have to use them for something.
The cap only covers the top 51 paid players, so don't draft picks basically cancel out by just replacing bottom of the roster guys in terms of pay? Is there actually a net hit to the cap, especially without a 1st?

That being said, kearly is dead on whether or not I know anything about how the cap works. We're down low enough to the cap that a guy like Davis probably doesn't make sense over re-signing Branch or extending out some of our own. We've already got a lot invested in Zach, McCoy is a decent #2, and I think we'll keep trying out low cost guys or a potential draft pick for that 3rd move-TE type guy.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
It's a contract year for McCoy also so it's not unreasonable to think he might work extra hard this year trying to make that case for FA. We already signed that 6'7" 280lb power forward to compete and we will likely draft another in hopes one of them will step up and be ready to replace McCoy should he bail in FA, which I suspect he will.

At this point I don't believe you look at another player in FA unless he clearly makes sense and fits in your numbers model.