Bills sign Kevin Kolb for 2 years, $13 million

kearly

Reaction score
http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/ ... l/13276141

Bad news: This almost certainly takes Buffalo out of the running for Matt Flynn.

Good news: Kevin Kolb was Oakland's backup plan in case the Flynn trade fell apart. With Kolb off the table, the incentive to finish a deal for Flynn is strengthened. I don't think that means Seattle will get a stronger package of picks, but it might mean the Raiders are less insistent about Flynn restructuring and therefore more likely to complete the deal. Also, if Kolb beats Tarvaris Jackson for the starting job, there is a chance T-Jack could be released, and sign back with Seattle on a low cost deal to be a backup.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I actually like this move by Buffalo. I doubt very much of Kolb's money is guaranteed. Buffalo could still draft a QB in 2013, but now they have insurance if it doesn't work out. If they draft a QB and he ends up being awesome, they can just release Kolb in September with minimal loss.

Kolb played on a terrible team in Arizona but managed stats that were in the same ballpark as Sam Bradford. He was (surprisingly) one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL under pressure last season, according to FO. He will be pushed for his job by T-jack and whoever their draft pick is a lot more than the stooges in Arizona. Buffalo has some weapons on offense (Stevie Johnson, CJ Spiller). I think Buffalo has gotten better ditching Fitzpatrick for Kolb.

mikeak

Reaction score
What this proves is the value if draft picks over money for SOME teams. I mean honestly how would you rather spend this much in Kolb over Flynn unless it was saving the picks...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Arizona was winning with Kolb. Just sayin'. I don't think he's ever going to be a great QB, but if he's got a good supporting cast, he can take a team to the playoffs. Not that the Bills are an elite team just looking for a QB, though.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If I'm Matt Flynn, right now I'm thinking "how is Oakland going to ask me to reduce my $5.25 million salary when Kevin Kolb just signed for more than that and has already proven he sucks?"

m0ng0

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1u4krdgc said:
What kind of dirt does Kolb have on the league? Getting TWO sweet, overpaid deals after proving almost nothing? How the hell does he do it?

It must be that 4th Quarter against US :(

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":s0ktpiw3 said:
What kind of dirt does Kolb have on the league? Getting TWO sweet, overpaid deals after proving almost nothing? How the hell does he do it?

Kolb was probably given some of the benefit of the doubt for his poor performance in AZ as no QB could have succeeded with that terrible o-line.

Imagine even if Tom Brady stood like he does behind that collapsing pocket in AZ.

Tempe is where QB's go to die.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I love this move for Buffalo. I most definitely would've done the same thing.

chris98251

Reaction score
If your TJack you have to be thinking why does God hate me, he is on the roster there but you have to see the writing on the wall he's not starting. Unless they draft a legitimate QB in the draft to groom he will be sitting on the bench and not traded. After all, Kolb hasn't exactly been Mr. Ironman in this league while Jackson played with a torn Pectorial muscle.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
NinerLifer":emv2buev said:
Kolb was probably given some of the benefit of the doubt for his poor performance in AZ as no QB could have succeeded with that terrible o-line.

Imagine even if Tom Brady stood like he does behind that collapsing pocket in AZ.

Tempe is where QB's go to die.

Very true. Even Kurt Warner struggled there for many years before finally taking off at the end.

chris98251":emv2buev said:
If your TJack you have to be thinking why does God hate me, he is on the roster there but you have to see the writing on the wall he's not starting. Unless they draft a legitimate QB in the draft to groom he will be sitting on the bench and not traded. After all, Kolb hasn't exactly been Mr. Ironman in this league while Jackson played with a torn Pectorial muscle.

Good points.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Another reason why the Kolb signing was smart- it won't cost Buffalo anything in terms of compensation picks next year, since Kolb was released by the Cardinals.

Latest posts