Why I kinda like Rex Ryan...

pehawk

Reaction score
I like him, cant help it. Because of the occasional gem like this...

The one-time Ravens assistant ripped the Orioles for not moving a game so the defending champions could open the season at home. Instead, the Ravens will begin the year at Denver.

“Well who really cares, you’ve got 81 at home, maybe you could have done the right thing and given one up and then played 82 on the road and then 80 at home,” Ryan said, via Seth Walder of the New York Daily News. “I really don’t think people are going to care about that game (between the Orioles and White Sox).

“You have a chance to have the defending world champs open up the season at home where they rightfully should. That’s unfortunate.”

But wait, there’s more.

“Certainly I can understand, if baseball only had a 16-game schedule you might understand it,” Ryan said. “But when they have 162 games, you might just [have the] common courtesy and say, you know what, maybe I’ll play this one on the road or whatever.”

Laloosh

Reaction score
pehawk":2ax4nswy said:
I like him, cant help it. Because of the occasional gem like this...

The one-time Ravens assistant ripped the Orioles for not moving a game so the defending champions could open the season at home. Instead, the Ravens will begin the year at Denver.

“Well who really cares, you’ve got 81 at home, maybe you could have done the right thing and given one up and then played 82 on the road and then 80 at home,” Ryan said, via Seth Walder of the New York Daily News. “I really don’t think people are going to care about that game (between the Orioles and White Sox).

“You have a chance to have the defending world champs open up the season at home where they rightfully should. That’s unfortunate.”

But wait, there’s more.

“Certainly I can understand, if baseball only had a 16-game schedule you might understand it,” Ryan said. “But when they have 162 games, you might just [have the] common courtesy and say, you know what, maybe I’ll play this one on the road or whatever.”

Agree with the sentiment but obviously the Ravens would have to compensate for the lost Orioles revenue. Was it discussed?

mikeak

Reaction score
Nobody said play it in the road (that I heard). They said move it. Baseball plays afternoons / double-headers whatever. How hard would it have been to adjust.....

The ratings will tell the Orioles they screwed up. At least there won't be lines at the concession stands.

HawkGA

Reaction score
The NFL should just start scheduling their games earlier and grabbing the parking lot first. So what if a few baseball fans are pissed? It's not like there are that many of them.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Playing one more game on the road is kind of awkward... It's a 4-game series w/ the White Sox. What are they supposed to do, fly to Chicago for one game, then fly back to Baltimore for the remaining 3 games? Seems inefficient and unnecessary. E.C. Laloosh made a good point about the lost revenue as well.

mikeak

Reaction score
HawkGA":3o8293qq said:
The NFL should just start scheduling their games earlier and grabbing the parking lot first. So what if a few baseball fans are pissed? It's not like there are that many of them.

I disagree. The NFL is THE KING. Releasing the schedule now creates a buzz going into the NFL draft. The NFL is all about making news some way shape or fashion every single month of the year including how the FA is spaced out etc.

The NFL does what they want to do and even if the MLB think they win something by forcing the Ravens to move a game they really don't. The NFL wins - they will smoke in the ratings and the Orioles will loose in revenue and next time around you better believe the MLB will move their game..........

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
As far as scheduling is concerned, NFL > MLB. It *really* doesn't matter if you start out on the road in the MLB.

sutz

Reaction score
Happens almost every year here in Seattle. The M's almost always seem to have a game scheduled that weekend.

:229031_shrug:

CANHawk

Reaction score
The Outfield":21hmfz1x said:
Playing one more game on the road is kind of awkward... It's a 4-game series w/ the White Sox. What are they supposed to do, fly to Chicago for one game, then fly back to Baltimore for the remaining 3 games? Seems inefficient and unnecessary. E.C. Laloosh made a good point about the lost revenue as well.

Yeah, but you're missing the most important point; baseball is stupid.

The Outfield

Reaction score
CANHawk":3yks2i94 said:
The Outfield":3yks2i94 said:

Yeah, but you're missing the most important point; baseball is stupid.

It's okay. Baseball's mostly a mental game and we know that's not your strong suite. :lol:

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Rex is so wrong and putting his FOOT in his mouth. FOOTball is so much more entertaining then baseball. An Oriole doesn't even have a proper FOOT. He's obviously cutting ties with the NFL and playing FOOTsie with MLB hoping for a job after the Jets crash and burn and put their FOOT in his rear. Tim Tebow prays his FOOT will contract leprosy. Larry FOOTe approved this message.

IronSaint

Reaction score
Lady Talon":8scc1u7q said:
Rex is so wrong and putting his FOOT in his mouth. FOOTball is so much more entertaining then baseball. An Oriole doesn't even have a proper FOOT. He's obviously cutting ties with the NFL and playing FOOTsie with MLB hoping for a job after the Jets crash and burn and put their FOOT in his rear. Tim Tebow prays his FOOT will contract leprosy. Larry FOOTe approved this message.

icwutudidther :lol:

And is that Christina Applegate in your avatar I see? Nomnomnom. :mrgreen:

But anyway, in regards to the NFL opener, I'm absolutely ecstatic that Selig told Goodell where he can shove his NFL opener. :th2thumbs:

I really don't care because regardless, it can't hurt me. We don't have a baseball team next door, or even a MLB team for that matter. :0190l:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The Outfield":c1c0f872 said:

Or just schedule a double header between the baseball teams, with the Raven's offering something in return like free Orioles plugs and a refund to ticket holders that can't reschedule.