Browns owner

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Evidently, their chain of truck stops offers a rebate program for fuel purchases as a way of getting more business. They had meetings where ways for their salesmen to screw the less smart out of their rebates were on the agenda. The salesmen and company both profited from this. Apparently, two informants were at meetings where this was discussed in front of Haslem.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":onb73ux7 said:
Evidently, their chain of truck stops offers a rebate program for fuel purchases as a way of getting more business. They had meetings where ways for their salesmen to screw the less smart out of their rebates were on the agenda. The salesmen and company both profited from this. Apparently, two informants were at meetings where this was discussed in front of Haslem.

Thats it? Really? It felt more like a cooking the books thing.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":1335ej86 said:
Scottemojo":1335ej86 said:

Thats it? Really? It felt more like a cooking the books thing.

Nope. Fraud investigation.

pehawk

Reaction score
Haslam may be able to worm out of that one then.

pehawk

Reaction score
There has to be a bit more to it. Their offices we're overrun by agents, at least that's what I read. And, I thought I read the IRS was involved too. There's either more, or Haslam's kind of a dick to the wrong people.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":2qg97p5d said:
There has to be a bit more to it. Their offices we're overrun by agents, at least that's what I read. And, I thought I read the IRS was involved too. There's either more, or Haslam's kind of a dick to the wrong people.

Haslem's bro is the governor of Tennessee, IIRC. Who knows what the political implications of this could be, and if that has something to do with the whole shebang.

What I understood was that the massive number of agents was to put the place on electronic lockdown from the go. No shredding, no files erased. I hadn't heard about the IRS.

pehawk

Reaction score
I wonder if Roger will be as aggressive disciplining an owner as he does players? Especially a guy like Haslem, who's been within NFL circles for awhile.

I feel bad for Browns fans.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Haslem is tight with the Rooneys. It will take some bad shit for Roger to cut ties with Haslem.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":35kv4lup said:
Haslem is tight with the Rooneys. It will take some bad shit for Roger to cut ties with Haslem.

Yeah, I know. It'll give more evidence that Roger's a hypocritical douche.

OP
OP
OkieHawk

OkieHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1b0f6qk2 said:
Scottemojo":1b0f6qk2 said:

Yeah, I know. It'll give more evidence that Roger's a hypocritical douche.

As if we need more evidence for that. I agree with you guys that Haslam will probably get out of this. Also, this just in:

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/ ... -step-down

Good job Goodell, now go eliminate kickoffs or something...

drdiags

Reaction score
From one article I read the thinking is Haslam could get time.

I know people think Haslam will be protected, I think the opposite. The FBI and the IRS don't want the small potatoes guys. They don't even want the president. Sure they will get what is coming, but the feds want the big fish. They don't put on their good clothes to beat up on the weaklings. They want Haslam. Read the report, anytime Haslam is even remotely named, it is highlighted and focused on. He is target number one.

How can they do it? Haslam has been implicated on five different counts, by different people. If there is an e-mail to Haslam showing an improper rebate, which seems like an when sort of thing, not an if at this point, he is cooked. Let's assume he cleared that out like pwanda's internet history (which I give a 0.0000003% chance of happening).

Freeman, who seems to this non-lawyered eye, has the most to lose. He seems to be the focus of the investigation. Maybe most importantly for Browns fans, he obviously had plenty of open dialog with Haslam, and is the one who puts Haslam right in the FBI cross hairs with his plane story. I'm guessing Freeman will be offered some sort of deal.

In regards to the NFL and Haslam keep this in mind

The NFL suspended Eddie DeBartlo Jr. for a year after he was caught up in a scheme to get a gambling license for a boat. He later was forced to sell the team to his sister. That was for extortion of $400,000. If the accusations are proven to be true, and they look pretty solid right now, that is a literally a fraction of what Haslam was stealing in a month.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/4...i-the-158-pages-that-will-cost-him-the-browns

pehawk

Reaction score
I heard Clayton metion the other day "well, notjing will happen because Haslem's presumed innocent..." I wanted to wring his neck. Roger doesn't wait for the players due process, why would this be any different?

I'm with my favorite mod here, sadhappy, cursed indeed. I have a strong sympathy for that franchise. I hope they turn it around, despite their owner.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":2pfj1s46 said:
I heard Clayton metion the other day "well, notjing will happen because Haslem's presumed innocent..." I wanted to wring his neck. Roger doesn't wait for the players due process, why would this be any different?

I'm with my favorite mod here, sadhappy, cursed indeed. I have a strong sympathy for that franchise. I hope they turn it around, despite their owner.
Roger doesn't work for the players. Duh.

mikeak

Reaction score
pehawk":15xy37pi said:

This isn't caching in in $0.10 at the pump for one customer kind of fraud. This is wholesale discounts not given out - one company supposedly $450k plus per month for 6 years. Add a few more companies to that, add a system in place, add interstate commerce and the FBI shows up and you get sentenced in federal court.