bout time (Redskins new turf)

Decimation

Reaction score
Finally.

But what's done is done. We're going to kick butt next year.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
One Redskins official told the radio station that the team is taking the steps to improve the playing surface on its own.

"This is our decision, there was no mandate. Nobody's called us," the official told ESPN 980

Which translates to...."The NFL, as well as the other owners, told us to get our crap together because they did not want high dollar investments ruined because of negligence."

DavidSeven

Reaction score
This doesn't sound like a big step. All they're doing is re-sodding the field once in November, but I remember there being talk that a re-sod in the winter months probably wouldn't take anyway. If the solution was that simple, why weren't they doing it for the last 16 years? I really don't understand why every team with a grass field isn't doing what Green Bay is doing at Lambeau. This is a $10 billion industry, and you have million dollar assets playing on dirt in December.

The Radish

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":13g5vlql said:
One Redskins official told the radio station that the team is taking the steps to improve the playing surface on its own.

"This is our decision, there was no mandate. Nobody's called us," the official told ESPN 980

Which translates to...."The NFL, as well as the other owners, told us to get our crap together because they did not want high dollar investments ruined because of negligence."

lol, I agree completely. Hey Curry, do you think they said it in that polite language?? Why not just have Jerry Jones call him and have a little chat?

:lol:

Hawknballs

Reaction score
too little too late. That game should have been an epic healthy rookie battle between wilson and RG3 instead it was a cringeworthy 3 hours of watching two teams play on a field I wouldn't wish on the most low-budget inner city high school team in the projects.

The Radish

Reaction score
DavidSeven":l8eupp5j said:
This doesn't sound like a big step. All they're doing is re-sodding the field once in November, but I remember there being talk that a re-sod in the winter months probably wouldn't take anyway. If the solution was that simple, why weren't they doing it for the last 16 years? I really don't understand why every team with a grass field isn't doing what Green Bay is doing at Lambeau. This is a $10 billion industry, and you have million dollar assets playing on dirt in December.

This is very true. Green Bay's "frozen tundra" is a thing of the past. I have no idea what it cost but I know they dug the ground 2-3' built a base, added heating either liquid pipeing or cable and then put their field over it. I wouldn't think liquid filled pipeing because the possiblity of a line breaking and causing a large area to flood. But whatever they did it works.

Result:

A field that's as safe for the players to play on as San Francisco or Miami in December. Allows million dollar players to play full speed in safety. What ever it cost it was worth it for the PR they get for it alone.

:th2thumbs:

The Outfield

Reaction score
What do they mean by "putting down a new playing surface on June 5" vs "re-sodding the field in November"? What's the difference?

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
The Outfield":gb960ft0 said:
What do they mean by "putting down a new playing surface on June 5" vs "re-sodding the field in November"? What's the difference?

This^

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
The Radish":2upfjg2x said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2upfjg2x said:

lol, I agree completely. Hey Curry, do you think they said it in that polite language?? Why not just have Jerry Jones call him and have a little chat?

:lol:

They should have had me do it. I am good at expressing myself in a even-keeled manner.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
The Outfield":1p683m50 said:

They are replacing the entire field in June and then just the middle portion of the field in November.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
DavidSeven":283hoflc said:

In case you didn't know, Green Bay, WI is a city of ~100k with no populated surrounding area. FedEx Field gets used by tons of non-NFL entities year-round, Lambeau is a ghost town outside of NFL games, more or less. I'm not making excuses for that cheap POS Dan Snyder, but it's hardly comparable.

We'll see what FedEx looks like in week 17 this year...

SirTed

Reaction score
If going the GB way is too expensive, someone tell me why Field Turf, or one of the MANY options just like it are out of the question?

Similar to FIFA demanding that all World Cup games are played on grass, I don't see why the NFL can demand that an NFL playing surface be held up to a certain standard. This means either well kept and groomed grass (preferable) or an artificial surface that is up to standard as well. It's ridiculous, the condition some of these fields are in by late Nov - Dec.

Why couldn't or wouldn't the NFL demand this kind of thing?

As someone said early, we're talking about a 10 BILLION dollar industry with million dollar investments running all over the place. Anything less than the optimum conditions would be unacceptable if it were up to me. That's my perspective as a (theoretical) investor as well as an actual viewer.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2w0bdns0 said:
DavidSeven":2w0bdns0 said:

In case you didn't know, Green Bay, WI is a city of ~100k with no populated surrounding area. FedEx Field gets used by tons of non-NFL entities year-round, Lambeau is a ghost town outside of NFL games, more or less. I'm not making excuses for that cheap POS Dan Snyder, but it's hardly comparable.

We'll see what FedEx looks like in week 17 this year...

I don't see how this excuses Washington from using the same state of the art techniques Green Bay uses to maintain and heat their grass in the winter. If anything, this gives them more incentive to do it. If it costs more because of the added events, then the additional revenue from said events should justify the extra cost.

And if Synder really wants to be that cheap, field turf is always an option.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It doesn't, Snyder's a cheap piece of crap. I'm just saying, Green Bay can half-ass their field maintenance due to lack of use, comparatively.

The Radish

Reaction score

Curry said:They should have had me do it. I am good at expressing myself in a even-keeled manner.

This will be one of my favorite comments for a long time.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
The Radish":m4r59dy9 said:

Curry said:They should have had me do it. I am good at expressing myself in a even-keeled manner.

This will be one of my favorite comments for a long time.

:p