HOLY hell, the NFC West, looks so scary right now.

frase32

Reaction score
I think all four teams had above average drafts and you can make the argument that the Seahawks, 49ers and Rams killed it. This division is going to be a slugfest. I cannot wait for the season to start. I will be happy with a split for the 49ers against the Hawks this year again cause your team was a nightmare last year and you guys looked to be improved. Here's to two, maybe even three, absolutely amazing games next season. :thirishdrinkers:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The NFL is such copycat league.

Pete comes into the league in 2010 with the "Always compete" mantra and he backs it up in training camp and basically lives by it.

Prior to 2010, how often did you here any NFL HC mention competition?

And how often did you hear it during the three days of the draft? I heard it over and over again.

Other teams are starting to draft long, rangy CBs. High end speed isn't as valued now provided the CB can swivel his hips smoothly during the transition.

Oh... another one... how often have you recently heard "GO _______" at the end of an interview... fill in the blank with almost any team's name.

They're stealing Russell's signature sign-off.

As they say... Imitation is the highest form of flattery. :th2thumbs:

Back on topic.... Yes, the NFCW is THE best division in the NFL. It will be interesting how each of the four teams fares outside our division.

Erebus

Reaction score
I'm expecting three NFCW teams in the playoffs this year.

Since the defenses are all going to be top 5 or 10, it will come down to QB play. The play of the QBs will be directly reflected in the standings.

OP
OP
F

frase32

Reaction score
It's going to be a great season. I think every fan in the NFC WEST has to be excited. Although this lull after the Draft kills me every year.

The Outfield

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3agn9k8v said:
The NFL is such copycat league.

Pete comes into the league in 2010 with the "Always compete" mantra and he backs it up in training camp and basically lives by it.

Prior to 2010, how often did you here any NFL HC mention competition?

And how often did you hear it during the three days of the draft? I heard it over and over again.

Other teams are starting to draft long, rangy CBs. High end speed isn't as valued now provided the CB can swivel his hips smoothly during the transition.

Oh... another one... how often have you recently heard "GO _______" at the end of an interview... fill in the blank with almost any team's name.

They're stealing Russell's signature sign-off.

As they say... Imitation is the highest form of flattery. :th2thumbs:

Back on topic.... Yes, the NFCW is THE best division in the NFL. It will be interesting how each of the four teams fares outside our division.

There's a lot at stake. People will try anything. But it doesn't mean they'll succeed :)

chris98251

Reaction score
Jacksonville is now Seahawks South I seen in a story, Jets Snatchez gets to compete, looked at how many speed guys were drafted for the edge and as stated the Tall CB's that have a physical reputation, were definatly making a impact.

It's not the players though that will matter for everyone, it's if they believe enough to follow the Pete philiosophy and pull the trigger and cut/trade someone that is an incumbent if the 7th or 5th rounder is better then the 5 million a year guy in front of him and eat a bit of salary if necessary.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
The problem is that we will all destroy each other, which will make it difficult for three teams to get in. Only two will, I think, but the third will be better than half the playoff teams.

FriscosFinest

Reaction score
frase32":zvcbajry said:
I think all four teams had above average drafts and you can make the argument that the Seahawks, 49ers and Rams killed it. This division is going to be a slugfest. I cannot wait for the season to start. I will be happy with a split for the 49ers against the Hawks this year again cause your team was a nightmare last year and you guys looked to be improved. Here's to two, maybe even three, absolutely amazing games next season. :thirishdrinkers:

Not being a hater, but I think the seahawks actually drafted very average, and possibly the lowest grade in the NFC-W. I mean yeah your team used their 1st pick on harvin, so I dont hold that against them. But the first player taken was a runningback??

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
FriscosFinest":25o9e2fg said:
frase32":25o9e2fg said:

Not being a hater, but I think the seahawks actually drafted very average, and possibly the lowest grade in the NFC-W. I mean yeah your team used their 1st pick on harvin, so I dont hold that against them. But the first player taken was a runningback??

What glaring hole did the Hawks need to fill that would have been solved by that pick?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
FriscosFinest":jf825w3v said:
frase32":jf825w3v said:

With a loaded roster and not many glaring holes, you can make luxury picks.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The NFCW did pretty well. Seahawks definitely won the 5th round but overall I believe the Rams had the best draft. Especially in the top half of the draft - Austin, Ogletree, and Bailey. WOW! They are giving Bradford much needed weapons. It's going to be a dogfight in NFC West next season.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
FriscosFinest":30pffp5f said:
frase32":30pffp5f said:

Oh good, you understood :)

Here's the rest of the story..
Percy Harvin
Cliff Avril
M Bennett
McDanials
McDonald
Winfield.

and thats ok what you think, cause most thought we drafted suck last year.
How'd the 49ers 1st rounder last year turn out, and everyone thought you picked well?

mmm BTW. I don't think we ever needed anyone to cover Jenkins..

chris98251

Reaction score
And the 49ers drafted possibly two players that will be on the PUP in a DT and a RB, I really hope your pot isn't blacker then our kettle.

BigMeach

Reaction score
It's so hard to grade a draft the day after. Such a projection , no real fact. There are so many things that can make a player look good in college and suck in the big league. For all we know in the end all of our drafts sucked this year. Not saying that is going to be the case, but it can happen.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Relatively speaking, I think everyone in the West drafted very well, St Louis on paper sure seems to have, as did the Cards and no doubt the 49ers really helped themselves as well.

The thing is, while the Niners drafted for need and I think were somewhat forced to because of CAP space, the Hawks drafted for the future, either Rice's or Tates replacement WR, Lynch's starting position when he becomes a FA etc. The Hawks did a nice job of filling in their NEEDS via FA where they could be selective in what they wanted.

Here's the thing, what really sucked for teams like the 9ers and the Rams is that this is a draft that many are calling the worst draft class that they can remember and thats including that gawd awful class of AAron Curry. Granted, this class is full of decent players available in the 2nd and 3rd even the 4th to 5 th rounds, but it's all relative to this class. We won't know really until some time passes but I can't imagine that there will be a lot of starters or elite players making their way on opening lineups.

My point Is I guess is that while the 49ers and Rams drafted for immediate needs, while we realized early just how weak this draft class really is. We were smart enough to draft Athletes that have yet peaked in their potential and have a big tangible upside, so that in a couple of years they may become the players that we need. We drafted a RB for gawd's sakes, that alone should give a hint too JS/PC's thoughts on what was available. Tells me that their was no players, tackles or linebackers they deemed worthy enough to fill a position that many of us consider something that should somewhat be addressed. That what we have right now is so much better than whats out there that were going to go ahead and draft a RB that has little or no chance to start for at least a couple of years.

So 49er fans.. Ram fans.. Good luck on your elite players taken out of this mediocre class of recruits, they surely are the stars of mediocrity and will be the mother of your disappointments when all is said and done.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Bobblehead":cuhxznxp said:
So 49er fans.. Ram fans.. Good luck on your elite players taken out of this mediocre class of recruits, they surely are the stars of mediocrity and will be the mother of your disappointments when all is said and done.

It was a weak draft.

I believe this was made very clear by almost every team being unwilling to deal 2014 draft picks for anything. I think only 3 teams did.

Good thing the Rams still have two picks in the first round next year in what is supposed to be a strong draft. Rams are still young.

As to this year, I think you will find when you struggle against the Rams again, that even the elite out of mediocre as you call it is an improvement over what Fisher inherited and now coaches.

I'm not a Niner fan, so you can't call up your 30 point win for last year as a rebuttle. You lost once and struggled to get 7 the second time, against a team wtihout these new "mediocre" players, at the end of the year when you were your best.

We both improved. Excited for this coming year!

And, don't discount the Cards. They improved as well. No such thing as an easy win in the NFC West now.

OP
OP
F

frase32

Reaction score
No one said this was a weak draft class. It has been said that it was lacking at the top of the draft. All I see in this thread is a lot of "We had no needs, therefore our draft was better because we weren't picking need in a weak class." Everyone turns into such a damned douchebag when discussing rival teams. As I originally said, on paper, all teams in the NFC WEST seemed to pick up quality players in this draft.

uncle fester

Reaction score
It's looking like any of the divisional games will now be a fight, including the ones against Arizona.

vanillasuede

Reaction score
I think all 4 teams had good to excellent drafts.

SF did the right thing by taking a gamble on 2 players with ACL issues who could be big time players down the line and drafted a starter from day 1 in round 1.

Seattle got a RB that I think will start by the middle of 2014 and filled their needs with 2 picks later.

AZ just needs to rebuild and they are doing that.

Rams met all their needs and now have a much more explosive offense.

Every team probably says, "I wish we had gotten that one more guy - Could have really used him"