Most over-rated NFL players

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Most over-rated NFL players
Thu May 23, 2013 10:44 pm
  • I know we kind of use the NFL forum as a news area, but how about some random opinion for a change? I want to talk about over-rated players. Who are yours? Don't be afraid to mention a Seahawk if that's what you really think. Anyway, mine (these are players I feel are the most over-rated as of this moment, not necessarily for their careers):

    5. Patrick Peterson

    I loved Peterson coming out of the draft. I thought he was without question the best pure prospect that year. I don't know how long it will be until I see a better corner prospect. The fact that he was passed over 4 times still blows me away. And as some of you know I have a little bit of a soft spot in my heart for the Cardinals as I grew up in Arizona.

    Peterson has already racked up 9 interceptions in his first two years, which is pretty good. And he already has 4 punt returns for TDs, which is incredible. So why is he over-rated?

    Well, because other than a flashy big play here and there, Peterson is actually not a very good cornerback. He's scored poorly in coverage ratings since he entered the league and has been known to get burned quite a bit. In the second game against Seattle, he had a very typical Patrick Peterson type outing, where he outhustled Golden Tate for a cheap interception, but also gave up on plays repeatedly, one of which directly resulted in a touchdown by Marshawn Lynch.

    On paper, Peterson looks pretty good, but when you put on the film and look closer, you realize he's got a little bit of Aaron Curry in him, in that he chooses to play disciplined only when he feels like it. I think Peterson's big plays are worth the poor play in other areas, but I would never vote for him to a pro-bowl unless it was as a kick returner. Peterson now has two pro-bowls and an all-pro in two seasons, beating out several other corners who were demonstrably superior.

    4. Eric Berry

    The thing about over-rated lists is they tend to have good players on them. Eric Berry is a solid player, and I even made the case for him at the #6 pick back in 2010 despite all the money we'd have to pay a safety. That said, Eric Berry just made the pro-bowl for the 2nd time this past season, during a year where he recorded just 86 tackles and 1 interception. And that was on a 2-14 team that finished as the worst team in the NFL.

    Berry has just 5 interceptions in 3 seasons, but has made two pro-bowls. He's the classic example of a player that only makes a pro-bowl because he was a high draft pick that didn't suck.

    3. Chris Johnson

    I feel kinda bad having Johnson on this list. In a way he's almost under-rated. He has a career YPC of 4.7, and he hasn't made a pro-bowl since 2010. Plus he had that one huge season where he went out of his mind. On a bad offense last year he managed 4.5 YPC.

    But, I figured I'd include Johnson on this list for two reasons. The first is that I'm not a big fan of massive boom/bust RBs. In the passing game, a yard is a yard, but in the running game consistency matters. If you just want yards you'd run the ball as little as possible.

    Part of what makes Marshawn Lynch so valuable is his remarkable consistency week by week, run for run. You know he's very likely to get you 3-5 yards on most rush attempts and set up favorable down and distance to help a ball-control offense roll along and it also helps salt away games when playing with a lead.

    Chris Johnson is more of a cloud of dust guy that gives you an 80 yarder here and there to dramatically raise his numbers. I'm not saying his stats are worthless, but they are a bit on the empty side, a little like Julius Jones and his empty 4.4 YPC in 2008.

    The second reason: advanced stats hate him. Football outsiders has him 32nd among NFL RBs last year despite a strong 4.5 YPC average, and both Advanced NFL stats and PFF actually graded him with negative scores. A bit like Patrick Peterson, Chris Johnson makes enough big plays to help you forget that he's actually a liability out there most of the time.

    2. Larry Fitzgerald* (note the asterisk)

    Did you see the Asterisk? You sure? Make sure you check again. Okay, good. Larry Fitzgerald is a no-doubter first ballot hall of famer, one of the best WRs of his time and perhaps the very nicest/classiest man currently in the NFL. If the NFL had to pick an ambassador, Fitzgerald would be a fantastic choice.

    I couldn't ever imagine putting Fitzgerald on a list like this until this last season. Especially not after 2011, where he single-handedly willed the Cardinals to a final week victory over a hot Seahawks team. That season he did the unthinkable, finishing over 1400 yard receiving catching passes from Kevin Kolb and John Skelton.

    He also had that Superbowl where he took over a game like I've never seen before. Plus all those other amazing seasons he had, of course.

    Reason I have him on this list is because this list is about who I consider to be over-rated based on what they've done very recently. Not that I expected Fitzgerald to post another 1400 yard season in 2012, but his tepid 798 yards receiving actually belies a receiver that was far worse than even his counting stats showed. His advanced numbers were atrocious, and in terms of yards per target he was among the NFL's worst receivers last season. (And though maybe it's irrelevant to this discussion, he's also on a contract that pays him $16 million a year on average).

    People can bring up the quarterback argument, but he had the same QBs the year before when he played out of his skull and willed his way 1400 yards. And really, this is a guy that's been in the league nine seasons and had quality QB play in two of them. So it's not like he needed the QB excuse before when he was cutting defenses to pieces.

    Remember how Fitzgerald was unstoppable in 2011 in that final game? Well in 2012, Fitzgerald had just 2 total catches for 5 yards in both Seahawks games combined. The guy that was covering him those weeks, Richard Sherman, caught 3 passes from Arizona Cardinals QBs for 18 yards.

    The funny thing is, Richard Sherman somehow failed to make the 2012 pro-bowl. But Larry Fitzgerald actually got in.

    I'm guessing that Fitz lands back on his feet next season. Carson Palmer may not be a winner or a statistically good QB, but he can still put up a lot of yards. His situation in Arizona reminds me a tiny bit of Warren Moon in Seattle in that both are very old QBs that may not win a ton of games but still have to be taken seriously and could put up 350 yards on any given week. I'd be shocked if Fitz didn't rebound at least a little in 2013.

    That said, his 2012 season was terrible and he had no business being in the pro-bowl in a loaded NFC. Along with the now retired Jeff Saturday, he was the ultimate "name recognition" pick of that pro-bowl group.

    1. Andrew Luck

    Did you think Sam Bradford was all that as a rookie? I know I didn't. He was a solidly below average quarterback that managed to avoid being completely terrible. Sam Bradford actually won rookie of the year for it, but nobody today seriously considers Sam Bradford a dangerous quarterback.

    I bring this up because Andrew Luck's rookie season, which was very similar to Bradford's in terms of schedule strength and surrounding cast, also resulted in the same exact passer rating: 76.5. The NFL median passer rating is 86.2. Meaning that if you had a 86.2 rating last year, you were middle of the pack. You might have noticed that number isn't particularly close to 76.5. Among the QBs who had a higher passer rating than Andrew Luck last season: Blaine Gabbert, Michael Vick, Matt Hasselbeck, Christian Ponder, Sam Bradford, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Carson Palmer, and Kevin Kolb.

    Now, it's true that Indy asked a lot of Luck, and he was a rookie. He also has a mountain of physical talent. I'm a little concerned that he wasn't vetted much at Stanford (all-universe O-line), but he's a smart, hardworking guy and it's a near certainty he'll improve, first to an average level and perhaps much higher. He'll get better. With time.

    But last year he was more of a clutch QB than a good one, and I think it was an over-reach that he made a pro-bowl roster last season. He also somewhat incredibly finished with more rookie of the year votes than Russell Wilson (100 rating, one of the best rookie seasons of all time) and now apparently is ranked higher on NFL.com's top 100 series this season.

    That makes it official, Andrew Luck is now the NFL's very most over-rated player, until he proves otherwise. And I don't say this just because of Luck vis-a-vis Wilson. Ryan Tannehill had virtually the same exact same season statistically, also has a bright future, and was also taken in the top 10 picks. But I don't know if he received a single ROY vote and he didn't even come close to making the pro-bowl or NFL.com's top 100 list.

    Why? Because he lacks the mythos that Luck has as the best prospect since Manning, playing for the same team, the NFL's ultimate golden boy giving way to the next ultimate golden boy. Luck's hype combined with the Pagano story made Indy a great media story that flew out of control. I doubt Luck will be headlining this list a couple years from now, but right now, he's the king.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10737
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Thu May 23, 2013 11:24 pm
  • Michael Vick

    Always has been, always will be.
    User avatar
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3534
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:16 pm
    Location: Huntsville, Al


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 6:11 am
  • I don't think Vick is over-rated anymore. Most semi-intelligent football observers know what he is.

    Good post, Kearly. I am very interested to see how the rookies of 2012 play in 2013.
    _______________________
    Remember, it's all for fun.
    User avatar
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 2905
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:19 am
    Location: Spokane


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 7:13 am
  • Great post, Kearly. I think you're unduly harsh on Fitz for last season, but i can't flaw your logic. Be interesting to see if he can bounce back with Palmer under center.
    Rzzzzz...
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 10685
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 7:15 am
  • Tony Romo...by Jerry Jones, only
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6958
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 7:57 am
  • Victor Cruz. Eli's going to get his yards, whomever's out there.

    We all saw with D Branch that QB's eventually hit a level where they'll just get their yards, period. Brady made Branch, period. Whatever WR is out there, certain QB's will always get 3,500, 4,000, etc yards.

    Our own Wilson will be, and may be next year, one of those type of QB's. So the fact the Hawks have actual talent at WR, is VERY scary.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9925
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 8:43 am
  • I feel like Aldon Smith is going to be on this list very soon if he doesn't belong there already.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 14804
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 9:13 am
  • pehawk wrote:Victor Cruz. Eli's going to get his yards, whomever's out there.

    We all saw with D Branch that QB's eventually hit a level where they'll just get their yards, period. Brady made Branch, period. Whatever WR is out there, certain QB's will always get 3,500, 4,000, etc yards.

    Our own Wilson will be, and may be next year, one of those type of QB's. So the fact the Hawks have actual talent at WR, is VERY scary.


    There are also added benefits to having a QB that can throw for 4000+ no matter the receivers. Once you have that QB, WR numbers tend to get inflated and so you can trade a medoicre/good WR for high draft picks. Then draft a receiver in the middle rounds, rinse and repeat....
    kunged
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 12
    Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:46 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 9:16 am
  • Reggie Bush - he can just disappear in games. Lays of hype out of USC but just average

    Danny Amendola - He had on the of the best QBs in the league throwing to him. I think we will see he is not nearly the player without Brady
    User avatar
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1859
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 9:28 am
  • All white slot receivers look alike, right happypuppy?

    Psst...dang racists.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9925
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 9:54 am
  • hahahahahahaha
    Rzzzzz...
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 10685
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 11:59 am
  • Happypuppy wrote:Reggie Bush - he can just disappear in games. Lays of hype out of USC but just average

    Danny Amendola - He had on the of the best QBs in the league throwing to him. I think we will see he is not nearly the player without Brady


    Oh geez.... I don't know how I screwed,that up too many players coming and going Sigh Welker
    User avatar
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1859
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 12:51 pm
  • I hate to say it, but anyone in the media who ranks Luck above Wilson based on actual NFL production and tape just isn't doing their job right.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3609
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 12:52 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:I hate to say it, but anyone in the media who ranks Luck above Wilson based on actual NFL production and tape just isn't doing their job right.


    You didn't hate to say that.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    User avatar
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator
     
    Posts: 9972
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With a white girl


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 1:10 pm
  • I would have trouble making an over rated list that did not include
    Andy Reid
    Brian Cushing
    Heath Miller
    Antonio Cromartie
    London Fletcher (Seriously, he got so much pub last year and he is awful!)
    and Joe Staley.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10855
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 1:14 pm
  • I'm not QUITE ready to join you on the Andy Reid tip.

    I dont care what their record's been the past few years, the KC team Reid adopted is flush with talent, in all the right areas. If he cant at least walk in and recreate a 1999 Seahawks type season, then yes, I'll join you in that assesment.

    And, at the end of the day, nothing mojo says is worth a piss without pehawk stamping his approval on it (at least thats what scottemojo tells me).
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9925
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 1:31 pm
  • pehawk wrote:I'm not QUITE ready to join you on the Andy Reid tip.

    I dont care what their record's been the past few years, the KC team Reid adopted is flush with talent, in all the right areas. If he cant at least walk in and recreate a 1999 Seahawks type season, then yes, I'll join you in that assesment.

    And, at the end of the day, nothing mojo says is worth a piss without pehawk stamping his approval on it (at least thats what scottemojo tells me).
    Philly was flush with talent too. I think Reid was very good for a time, but he kinda started buying his own hype. And two seconds for Alex Smith? His teams are custom built for playoff failure, if they even get there.
    Also, I think that KC team is a thin roster past 5 or 6 good players.

    But it is true that until you agree with me, my opinion means little.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10855
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 1:38 pm
  • I just think Andy's stubborn. Be it commitment to deep-drops in the wake of a depleted line or forgetting to run the ball. Maybe getting fired solves that?

    LeSean McCoy's overrated. Oddly, Reid's offense creates runningbacks.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9925
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 2:14 pm
  • the pittsburgh steelers..
    User avatar
    jack_patera
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 208
    Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:37 pm
    Location: ..Location..Location


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 2:27 pm
  • I can't agree on a list that has a rookie qb on it that played very well and one of the best receivers in the game. I don't care if the numbers aren't where the talk is the difference between the "talk" and what they produce isn't enough to justify most overrated.

    Most overrated to me is someone that is discussed as great but is playing poorly like Peterson. A player like him will be Amerson out of NC State. He will have his share of picks and then he will have a ton of busted plays where people go over his head and he gambled and it cost the team a touchdown. Then some experts mentions how he has 6 interceptions and is playing great despite the fact that he is costing them the season.

    Luck was a rookie. I really don't care if someone puts him above RW / RG3 or whatever. They were all rookies and they all have to prove it again this season. I have no doubt in my mind that Luck and RW will be good / great this year. Being on a team where he was on display from game 1 made him finish ahead of RW. While RW outplayed him in the second half (with a big margin) Luck was asked to do more for the first half of the season. That is mainly why he finished ahead.

    Fitzgerald - how many quarterbacks were on that team last year as starters? 3? I don't care if one of them had a good season with him the year before when the qb is under constant pressure and takes hit after hit and gets injured then the ball won't be coming out the same way and your prime WR won't rack up the yards. The OL was crap, the qb play was crap and the starting qb spot was changing on a weekly basis. Fitzgerald's 2012 season says nothing about Fitz but everything about the team he was on.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3238
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 2:41 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:
    pehawk wrote:I'm not QUITE ready to join you on the Andy Reid tip.

    I dont care what their record's been the past few years, the KC team Reid adopted is flush with talent, in all the right areas. If he cant at least walk in and recreate a 1999 Seahawks type season, then yes, I'll join you in that assesment.

    And, at the end of the day, nothing mojo says is worth a piss without pehawk stamping his approval on it (at least thats what scottemojo tells me).
    Philly was flush with talent too. I think Reid was very good for a time, but he kinda started buying his own hype. And two seconds for Alex Smith? His teams are custom built for playoff failure, if they even get there.
    Also, I think that KC team is a thin roster past 5 or 6 good players.

    But it is true that until you agree with me, my opinion means little.



    I think not enough was made of him being relinquished of some power when Heckert was let go and Roseman took over. The way I understamd it that was the begining of epic failures and the "dream team" assembly.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9189
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 2:45 pm
  • pehawk wrote:I just think Andy's stubborn. Be it commitment to deep-drops in the wake of a depleted line or forgetting to run the ball. Maybe getting fired solves that?

    LeSean McCoy's overrated. Oddly, Reid's offense creates runningbacks.

    I think Reid believes in his system more than his players. And like a player that lacks toughness, Reid's offense lacks toughness. Always has. I like his eye for talent at some positions, and I hate his eye for talent at other spots. I think he needs a Schneider type GM, but lacks the willingness to cede power to anyone.

    I think Reid is the alter ego for Marty Schottenheimer. Different football philosophies, but a similar rigidity. Spectacular regular season coaches. Little else.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10855
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 2:56 pm
  • Colin Kaepernick has to be one of the most overrated players in the NFL right now.
    User avatar
    Fox0r
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 1874
    Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:30 pm
    Location: Lynnwood, WA


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 3:18 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:And two seconds for Alex Smith?


    As soon as I saw this, I was flabbergasted and I lost all faith I might ever have had in Walrus, Jr. Two seconds for Alex Smith is about the dumbest trade I've ever even heard of, much less seen.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24851
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 4:23 pm
  • Fox0r wrote:Colin Kaepernick has to be one of the most overrated players in the NFL right now.



    That's just being a homer. After next year lets talk again.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9189
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 5:47 pm
  • kearly wrote:Andrew Luck's rookie season, which was very similar to Bradford's in terms of schedule strength and surrounding cast, also resulted in the same exact passer rating: 76.5.

    Luck to Bradford isn't a close comparison. At all. Luck's Y/A and ANY/A were 7.0 and 5.66, respectively. Bradford's as a rookie were 6.0 and 4.73 on 37 fewer attempts than Luck. Luck's passer rating is deflated because of his abnormally low completion percentage, but that's a result of attempting more difficult throws. Luck's Deep% (% of attempts over 15 yards) was 27.0%, 3rd in the league. Bradford's Deep% as a rookie was 12.5%, last of the 39 qualifying QBs that year. He doesn't deserve to be compared to Luck because his completion percentage (which makes up 25% of passer rating) is inflated by throwing a bunch of short, easy passes.

    Re: Fitzgerald: I wouldn't call him overrated based on last season. In Kolb's 5 starts, Fitz had 32 receptions for 367 yards and 3 TDs, which projects to 102 receptions for 1174 yards and 10 TDs over a 16 game season. Lindley and Skelton were just historically bad and no receiver would have produced with those two last year.

    For me, the most overrated player in the league is RG III, even before his injury. I still don't buy into him as a passer and think his great passing efficiency numbers are misleading because defenses keying on his running ability gives him easier throws to make. His passing numbers took a nosedive last year in situations where the defense didn't have to focus on the run. He wasn't good when he had to throw more than 25 times a game, and he wasn't good on 3rd and long when defenses could focus on stopping the pass. On 3rd and 8 or more to go last year:

    Luck: 41-83, 8.54 Y/A, 2.41 INT%, 5.68 Sack%, 36.4 1st down %
    Wilson: 22-40, 7.33 Y/A, 2.44 INT%, 9.09 Sack%, 27.3 1st down %
    RG3: 28-48, 5.88 Y/A, 0.00 INT%, 11.11 Sack%, 9.3 1st down %

    RG3 is a great weapon, but he isn't a great passer yet and we saw his body wear down last year when he relied too much on his legs.
    jewhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 551
    Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:39 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 8:14 pm
  • Suh, Rivers, Mike Wallace, Andre Johnson (only 4 TDs last year).
    _________________
    ...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!
    User avatar
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1808
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am
    Location: Spokangeles


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 8:52 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:I would have trouble making an over rated list that did not include
    Andy Reid
    Brian Cushing
    Heath Miller
    Antonio Cromartie
    London Fletcher (Seriously, he got so much pub last year and he is awful!)
    and Joe Staley.


    I can't comment on Cromartie before last year, but I thought he looked terrific in the Seahawk game. Advanced stats/metrics raved about his 2012 season too.

    Staley and Miller always looked pretty good to my eye but it's not like I watch them every week.

    I'm begrudgingly with you on Reid, even though I was a fan of his for many years. He's so much like Mike Holmgren it's a little scary. At times he's a fantastic talent evaluator, and just when you think he's a genius, he does something incredibly dumb to screw everything up.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10737
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Fri May 24, 2013 9:16 pm
  • jewhawk wrote:Re: Fitzgerald: I wouldn't call him overrated based on last season. In Kolb's 5 starts, Fitz had 32 receptions for 367 yards and 3 TDs, which projects to 102 receptions for 1174 yards and 10 TDs over a 16 game season. Lindley and Skelton were just historically bad and no receiver would have produced with those two last year.

    For me, the most overrated player in the league is RG III, even before his injury. I still don't buy into him as a passer and think his great passing efficiency numbers are misleading because defenses keying on his running ability gives him easier throws to make. His passing numbers took a nosedive last year in situations where the defense didn't have to focus on the run. He wasn't good when he had to throw more than 25 times a game, and he wasn't good on 3rd and long when defenses could focus on stopping the pass. On 3rd and 8 or more to go last year:

    Luck: 41-83, 8.54 Y/A, 2.41 INT%, 5.68 Sack%, 36.4 1st down %
    Wilson: 22-40, 7.33 Y/A, 2.44 INT%, 9.09 Sack%, 27.3 1st down %
    RG3: 28-48, 5.88 Y/A, 0.00 INT%, 11.11 Sack%, 9.3 1st down %

    RG3 is a great weapon, but he isn't a great passer yet and we saw his body wear down last year when he relied too much on his legs.


    I think you are cherry picking a bit on that 3rd and 8 stat. But it's an interesting cherry. I bet you noticed this but, Luck was in twice as many 3rd and 8+ situations as Wilson/RG3. It's nice that he's very good in those situations, but he finds himself in them far too often. It's great that he can dig himself out of a hole, but he puts himself into a hole too much to make it an acceptable tradeoff. Part of that is having a much weaker running game and a more boom/bust passing game. But still, twice as much is a big difference. Remember too that those numbers do not adjust for strength of defense, and Luck played one of the easiest schedules in the NFL last season.

    I agree that RG3 benefited from the read option last year and it will be interesting to see how he adapts in the next few seasons. If I was a Redskins fan I'd be nervous that RG3 might experience the same fall to earth that Michael Vick experienced after 2010.

    RE Luck/Bradford, I agree that the passer rating formula does give Bradford a handicap in the comparison, and I also think that Luck was probably better all things considered. I also think that Luck's amazingly good deep ball numbers had a lot to do with the guys he was throwing to. That WR corps may not be amazing, but it's built to attack deep (Wayne, Hilton, two fast TEs). Rookie Sam Bradford's WR corps only had one legitimate deep WR, and that was then UDFA rookie Danario Alexander a couple years before he was good. Their top receiver that year was ultra slot receiver Danny Amendola, with pure possession WR Brandon Gibson being a close second. (Neither one is still with the Rams today.)

    It's true that Bradford was a checkdown guy and Luck was a gunslinger, but I think their supporting cast played into that quite a bit. The Rams ran a checkdown offense because that was the most efficient way to do things based on the supporting cast, and vice versa in Indy. Luck's coach- Arians- had previously worked with Big Ben (coincidentally my Luck comp before the 2012 draft) and Big Ben has always made the deep ball a fairly major staple of his game, especially the last several years with Mike Wallace. Bradford had a defense first coach in Spags and a pure WCO OC in Pat Shurmur. So in addition to supporting cast I think coaching philosophy played a huge role as well.

    I'm not trying to dismiss your point completely, but I do think that if Bradford had played in the same situation we would not have seen splits that large.

    With Fitzgerald, he only played with Kolb a fraction of the previous season and still managed 1400. I watched Fitz a lot both seasons and the eyeball test was no contest, but that's just my opinion. That said, if I made a list of under-rated players, I'd probably include Kolb on it if the list was long enough. I never really understood why the media and even his own coaching staff demonized him so much. He was clearly the best QB on that roster the entire time he was there.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10737
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Sat May 25, 2013 8:23 am
  • Bradford was genius/brilliant his rookie year. Yes, he checked down alot, but as kearly states, that was due attrition. But, if you're hitting 7-9 WR's a game, when realically you only have 3 NFL caliber WR's on the team, as a rookie, you're doing well.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9925
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Sat May 25, 2013 10:08 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:I feel like Aldon Smith is going to be on this list very soon if he doesn't belong there already.


    You are aware that it has been revealed that Aldon suffered an injury the same game that Justin got injured right? And that he continued to play with his injury the rest of the season right? Which also explains why he didn't record another sack after getting injured.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Sat May 25, 2013 10:12 am
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Fox0r wrote:Colin Kaepernick has to be one of the most overrated players in the NFL right now.



    That's just being a homer. After next year lets talk again.


    Seriously man? Then I guess if you weren't a Seahawk fan Wilson would be overrated too right?
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Sat May 25, 2013 10:15 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:I would have trouble making an over rated list that did not include
    Andy Reid
    Brian Cushing
    Heath Miller
    Antonio Cromartie
    London Fletcher (Seriously, he got so much pub last year and he is awful!)
    and Joe Staley.


    Staley?....ok

    Ask Clay Mathews if he thinks Staley is overrated.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Sat May 25, 2013 10:17 am
  • NinerLifer wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Fox0r wrote:Colin Kaepernick has to be one of the most overrated players in the NFL right now.



    That's just being a homer. After next year lets talk again.


    Seriously man? Then I guess if you weren't a Seahawk fan Wilson would be overrated too right?


    You quoted and responded to the wrong guy, Calihawk1 is saying FoxOr's comment is biased. Why not just quote FoxOr's comment with your response? Confusing use of the quoting system, though you are not the first to use this technique.
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9177
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Sat May 25, 2013 10:23 am
  • NinerLifer wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:I would have trouble making an over rated list that did not include
    Andy Reid
    Brian Cushing
    Heath Miller
    Antonio Cromartie
    London Fletcher (Seriously, he got so much pub last year and he is awful!)
    and Joe Staley.


    Staley?....ok

    Ask Clay Mathews if he thinks Staley is overrated.


    Why even posts your responses? We know what they'll be already, really.

    There's other NFL topics to, add to those as well. If any of you added to topics outside of your 49ers, maybe you wouldn't be viewed as such an annoyance.

    It's really odd and kind of sick to comb another teams forum, looking ONLY for instances where you believe your team got slighted. It's VERY odd. You go out of your way to find slights to your beloved team. That's sick behavior. I couldn't imagine heading to a 49er forum and only replying or contributing to Seahawks posts or conversations.

    Just, BE BETTER. Contribute to all topics, not just ones that hurt your feelings.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9925
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Sat May 25, 2013 12:31 pm
  • NinerLifer wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Fox0r wrote:Colin Kaepernick has to be one of the most overrated players in the NFL right now.



    That's just being a homer. After next year lets talk again.


    Seriously man? Then I guess if you weren't a Seahawk fan Wilson would be overrated too right?



    What? Did you forget sarcasm on?
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9189
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Sun May 26, 2013 7:40 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:I feel like Aldon Smith is going to be on this list very soon if he doesn't belong there already.

    Aldon Smith without Justin Smith out there really controlling things is like Bruce Irvin in the Falcon's game without Clemons out there to take up pressure. So ya, I could see Aldon mith as overrated, at least until he proves he can do it without the other Smith making hay.
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 8976
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Mon May 27, 2013 6:30 am
  • Jazzhawk wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:I feel like Aldon Smith is going to be on this list very soon if he doesn't belong there already.

    Aldon Smith without Justin Smith out there really controlling things is like Bruce Irvin in the Falcon's game without Clemons out there to take up pressure. So ya, I could see Aldon mith as overrated, at least until he proves he can do it without the other Smith making hay.


    :13: Aldon without Justin is just like bruce without Chris. I am looking forward to see Bruce return in week 5 with all the added muscle he put on in the "gym"..
    User avatar
    GawksAtHawks
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 27
    Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 2:29 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Mon May 27, 2013 8:21 am
  • Russell Wilson it's pretty good "for a short QB"
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    User avatar
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator
     
    Posts: 9972
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With a white girl


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Mon May 27, 2013 12:21 pm
  • If I name a certain "dangeruss" player, will I get the ban-hammer? :2:
    User avatar
    look@dafilm
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 90
    Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 6:21 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Mon May 27, 2013 1:13 pm
  • look@dafilm wrote:If I name a certain "dangeruss" player, will I get the ban-hammer?


    No, but you'll get laughed at. We'll call you full of it, and say Kaepernick's overrated, not Wilson. You'll deny it because he got to the Super Bowl. We'll point out that you were one play away from getting to the Super Bowl the year before with Alex freakin' Smith manning the helm, and congratulate you on Kaepernick getting one play further than Smith, and that'll be the end of it. I just saved us a few posts. :devil:
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24851
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Mon May 27, 2013 1:29 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    look@dafilm wrote:If I name a certain "dangeruss" player, will I get the ban-hammer?


    No, but you'll get laughed at. We'll call you full of it, and say Kaepernick's overrated, not Wilson. You'll deny it because he got to the Super Bowl. We'll point out that you were one play away from getting to the Super Bowl the year before with Alex freakin' Smith manning the helm, and congratulate you on Kaepernick getting one play further than Smith, and that'll be the end of it. I just saved us a few posts. :devil:


    probably

    I just find it funny that both Aldon and Kaep are on here. Aldon had 20 sacks last year....20, and has the best start to his career in terms of sacks than any other pass rusher ever has.
    User avatar
    look@dafilm
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 90
    Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 6:21 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Mon May 27, 2013 1:36 pm
  • look@dafilm wrote:I just find it funny that both Aldon and Kaep are on here.


    Uh, no they're not. Go back and look at the opening post. Here's a refresher: Kearly's list from 5th to 1st is:

    Patrick Peterson
    Eric Berry
    Chris Johnson
    Larry Fitzgerald (With an asterisk and long explanation.)
    Andrew Luck

    Don't insert people's random thread comments into Kearly's list.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24851
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Mon May 27, 2013 1:55 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    look@dafilm wrote:I just find it funny that both Aldon and Kaep are on here.


    Uh, no they're not. Go back and look at the opening post. Here's a refresher: Kearly's list from 5th to 1st is:

    Patrick Peterson
    Eric Berry
    Chris Johnson
    Larry Fitzgerald (With an asterisk and long explanation.)
    Andrew Luck

    Don't insert people's random thread comments into Kearly's list.


    I know they aren't, I was mocking those that think that they should :)
    User avatar
    look@dafilm
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 90
    Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 6:21 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Mon May 27, 2013 1:58 pm
  • I don't wish injury on Justin Smith, but I'd like to see a 2-3 game stretch with him not playing and Aldon Smith at 100% to evaluate. Convenient timing for an injury that he ended up playing through the rest of the season with in terms of Justin Smith also going out at the same time. Justin Smith's regular double-teams help Aldon Smith out quite a bit, there's no denying that. How much is the real question.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24851
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Mon May 27, 2013 2:05 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I don't wish injury on Justin Smith, but I'd like to see a 2-3 game stretch with him not playing and Aldon Smith at 100% to evaluate. Convenient timing for an injury that he ended up playing through the rest of the season with in terms of Justin Smith also going out at the same time. Justin Smith's regular double-teams help Aldon Smith out quite a bit, there's no denying that. How much is the real question.


    You might be one of the most rational Seahawk fan posters on here. A lot of us Niner fans are also curious to see how good Aldon is without Justin when he is not injured like he was last year. We just aren't in a hurry to find out. ;)
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Mon May 27, 2013 2:19 pm
  • Thanks; and haha, I bet you're not in a hurry to find out, indeed. I wouldn't be, either. I can't figure Aldon Smith out. He could go either way for me; he could be very overrated, or he could be damned good. I'll tell you who the most underrated player on your team is even though he gets a lot of respect, in my opinion, however. Justin Smith. Dude goes out and not only does your pass rush significantly degrade, but your secondary does too, though not as severely. What he does for your defense is quite impressive. Thankfully, he's getting older. :devil:
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24851
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Mon May 27, 2013 2:44 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Thanks; and haha, I bet you're not in a hurry to find out, indeed. I wouldn't be, either. I can't figure Aldon Smith out. He could go either way for me; he could be very overrated, or he could be damned good. I'll tell you who the most underrated player on your team is even though he gets a lot of respect, in my opinion, however. Justin Smith. Dude goes out and not only does your pass rush significantly degrade, but your secondary does too, though not as severely. What he does for your defense is quite impressive. Thankfully, he's getting older. :devil:


    Yes he is getting older, but with Harbaugh we know he will have us set before Justin declines.

    FYI...it won't be next year. ;)
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Mon May 27, 2013 2:45 pm
  • I don't think it's likely it'll be this/next year, either; but, it'll happen at some point before too long.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24851
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Most over-rated NFL players
Mon May 27, 2013 5:11 pm
  • NinerLifer wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I don't wish injury on Justin Smith, but I'd like to see a 2-3 game stretch with him not playing and Aldon Smith at 100% to evaluate. Convenient timing for an injury that he ended up playing through the rest of the season with in terms of Justin Smith also going out at the same time. Justin Smith's regular double-teams help Aldon Smith out quite a bit, there's no denying that. How much is the real question.


    You might be one of the most rational Seahawk fan posters on here. A lot of us Niner fans are also curious to see how good Aldon is without Justin when he is not injured like he was last year. We just aren't in a hurry to find out. ;)



    And you're probably the most irrational Niner fans on this board. Jacking Rolands junk and his ego is a brilliant play. He loves that shirt. You were obviously out muscled in the wits game vs Roland. We are all for the most part as rational and knowledgeable just don't have the same desire to go back and forth with you.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9189
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Next


It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:59 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online