Sumo as OL or DL?

nsport

Reaction score
I was reviewing this LivingSocial deal: https://livingsocial.com/events/cities/ ... e-citywide

And I thought- is there any evidence (or history) that a sumo wrestler might become a good NFL lineman, or vice-versa?

To me, it seems like it sure would be possible, as they are known to have great burst, hands, balance, and strength...

Thoughts??

OP
OP
nsport

nsport

Reaction score
Funny never saw the movie, but now maybe I should! ... I'll tell my wife it's "research"... I'm sure she'll understand.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I've seen it brought up in other places. I believe it's a stamina issue for the most part.

sutz

Reaction score
Basis4day":3dtd0xjf said:
I've seen it brought up in other places. I believe it's a stamina issue for the most part.
Well, if you're going to get serious......:)

There's also the whole issue of how much ground they can cover. A sumo mat is only about 8 feet in diameter IIRC, maybe smaller. A lineman of either stripe will need to maneuver and cover a lot more ground than that. It's not just about bulk and strength, or as was stated in the movie, "pushing people around."

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Basis4day":10b7169b said:

Stamina and the fact that they've never played football before.

Would an OL/DL make for a good sumo wrestler? I wouldn't think so, and I'd suggest that NFL players are probably better athletes for the most part.

Latest posts