Urlacher announces retirement

A

Anonymous

Thirteen years, every one of them with da bears.

Godspeed Brian.

The Radish

Reaction score
He'd probably be still playing, maybe even here if he and his agent didn't insist he was worth $3.5 million.

:141847_bnono:

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
The Radish":12a5z6mn said:
He'd probably be still playing

I'd say he's lost a step but i wouldn't go that far Lester T Mcgillicuddy.

Gotta say i'm kinda suprised there aren't more replies in this string. Helluva MLB he was.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I can't help but wonder what Wilson making him look slow had to do with NO team wanting him now. I mean really, really, slow.

The Radish

Reaction score
I think there were several teams interested in him just not at the pay level he wanted.

:les:

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
The Radish":3jkor345 said:
I think there were several teams interested in him just not at the pay level he wanted.

I'm leaning towards this view as well. I wonder if he preferred to retire rather than take a pay cut because that was easier on his ego. Damn good MLB in his prime, and I'm guessing he'll be in the HoF sooner rather than later.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":36imcbla said:
The Radish":36imcbla said:

I'm leaning towards this view as well. I wonder if he preferred to retire rather than take a pay cut because that was easier on his ego. Damn good MLB in his prime, and I'm guessing he'll be in the HoF sooner rather than later.

At his age, his body probably demanded a higher price tag to deal with another year of getting beat up. He's been breaking down a bit, so he probably needed a few mil to justify it

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
For some reason, I've never been an Urlacher fan. Great player, just something about him rubs me the wrong way. Also, my friends a Bears fan and his go to response to why his team didn't suck was...URLACHER DUDE!...just the worst kind of argument.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3p65zqzh said:
I can't help but wonder what Wilson making him look slow had to do with NO team wanting him now. I mean really, really, slow.
I re-watched the Hawks-Bears game again last night (on DVR) and Urlacher DID look slow.

The read option exposed him and the rest of the Bears aging LB-corps.

Brian was a great player... imo, better than Singletary, better than Bill George but not better than Butkus.

And yes, I've seen them all play. I grew up in Chicago a Bears fan... born in 1949.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3bqf0mbo said:

Russell may have inadvertantly cost both Lovie Smith and Urlacher their jobs. If Chicago wins that game, they probably finish at least 11-5 and in the playoffs. I don't think they can justify firing him then. Smith would have also likely fought for Urlacher, who wouldn't have been embarassed and injured chasing after Wilson under this imagined scenario.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The Radish":34fhcqcy said:

Also he REALLY didn't want to play for another team. Fact is he thought he was worth more than he actually was and refused to be flexible. Which is too bad because he could have played for a year or two more.

I liked him as a player in his prime he was pretty special but he really lost a step or three in the last couple of years. So it was good that went out when he did on his own terms mostly.

The Radish

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":mond096m said:
The Radish":mond096m said:

Also he REALLY didn't want to play for another team. Fact is he thought he was worth more than he actually was and refused to be flexible. Which is too bad because he could have played for a year or two more.

I liked him as a player in his prime he was pretty special but he really lost a step or three in the last couple of years. So it was good that went out when he did on his own terms mostly.

I've always thought he was a damned good player but remember Browner running him down from behind and knocking him ass over tea kettles going after a ball carrier.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
I always enjoyed watching the game within a game that went on between Urlacher and Hasselbeck back in the day. It was fun watching them adjust and then readjust just off of reading each other. He was a great player, but all greatness must retire at one point or another.