The London Jaguars

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I support Goodell in almost every thing he does. But I think this is a horrible idea. I hate it.

A few years back if you had asked me about the likelihood of an NFL franchise in London, I'd have said, sometime in my lifetime, maybe in the next 25 years. Ask me now, and I'd say we'll see football -- American football -- being played on Sundays at Wembley Stadium within the next 10 years (possibly 5 to 7), and, yes, the Jacksonville Jaguars are the team numerous well-connected NFL people have tabbed as the most likely to land there.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason ... e-best-fit

Scottemojo

Reaction score
A team in London will have all the appeal of the Harlem globetrotters without the winning. Free agents will not want to sign because of the taxes, the team would likely be stateside for off season stuff and minicamp, and once the novelty wore off for Londoners and Expats, empty stadiums for a crappy ass team would make the NFL a joke in Europe.
It takes big balls, big ego, and the ignoring of conventional wisdom to even try this move. It will define Roger. Even attempting it will define Roger. If it succeeds, it will be the start of world football. If it fails, it will be yet one more rejection of an American export by the Euros. The fact that such a proposition is even entertained by Roger is a statement of ego and hubris. Or genius. But I think hubris.

pehawk

Reaction score
Its hubris.

The typical hubris Roger has shown with player discipline and EVERYTHING else. He takes an extreme solution for every problem. Placing a franchise in London is indeed extreme. And, I personally can't wait to watch it fail.

mikeak

Reaction score
Taxes can be solved through salary structure that makes adjustment

The big issue to me is the field and travel time

Soccer fields are different in Europe and doesn't hold up

Travel forces a bye week. No bye weeks late in season

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Hmm it's a tough one. NFL Europe tanked. They struggled to give free tickets away for the Scottish Claymore games (despite them being good) and they ended up moving to Germany until the league dissolved. The big reason being that it couldn't compete with soccer and rugby and most Brits thinking that football is too long.

East coast games would be okay for travelling as it's only a 6 hour flight but West Coast games to the UK would be tough. The UK games would need to be played later so the American market could watch them.

However, NFL is top level and a mile above NFL Europe. A team would no doubt be bigger than Jacksonville. If they were smart they would make it an English/British team to get the whole country behind the team. You would then have a full British tv market as well.

The pound is also stronger than the dollar (will may help with free agency ) and the chance to play in one of the worlds major cities. Wembley is also a top stadium with the same turf used as Gillette stadium.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
The only way the travel makes sense though without crazy hours is if they bring back Concorde!

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I cant imagine any coaches wanting to coach for a team on a different continent. Or players wanting to sign there.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
I don't like this idea very much, but on the list of things Roger has done? This wouldn't be even come close to the top of things that bother me. I rather let running backs put there shoulders down at the end of a run. I like how I have had to work 3 stories up in the air with little to no safety. where people have lost there ability to work and function. I have had to log on mountain sides where again people have lost there ability to work and function. Yet these mighty "goliaths" men among men cant take a hit in the mouth anymore. There so many jobs men have to that "risk" to make a living.

Then these men are suppose to watch this sissy crap Roger has turned the nfl into? Football is suppose to be a forum to prove how strong, tough, smart and talented you are. Every year Roger is in charge of the nfl it becomes that less and less. Look at randy moss getting to keep his touchdown record when half of them he was pushed out of bounds. Why does he still have that record when the rules was there for 1 year and abolished. Same with tom brady and his bull tds he threw that season? Really if this is the worst you think Roger has done then unreal.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":3trvxzra said:
Then these men are suppose to watch this sissy crap Roger has turned the nfl into? Football is suppose to be a forum to prove how strong, tough, smart and talented you are. Every year Roger is in charge of the nfl it becomes that less and less. Look at randy moss getting to keep his touchdown record when half of them he was pushed out of bounds. Why does he still have that record when the rules was there for 1 year and abolished. Same with tom brady and his bull tds he threw that season? Really if this is the worst you think Roger has done then unreal.

I don't mind the safety rules at all, in fact i'm all for them. I have no idea what you're talking about with the Randy Moss and Tom Brady stuff, so it certainly doesn't matter to me.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":2q11e40y said:
I don't like this idea very much, but on the list of things Roger has done? This wouldn't be even come close to the top of things that bother me. I rather let running backs put there shoulders down at the end of a run. I like how I have had to work 3 stories up in the air with little to no safety. where people have lost there ability to work and function. I have had to log on mountain sides where again people have lost there ability to work and function. Yet these mighty "goliaths" men among men cant take a hit in the mouth anymore. There so many jobs men have to that "risk" to make a living.

You're blaming the wrong person. Blame the NFL's Rules Committee. For as much blame as Goodell gets, a fair portion of it is unsubstantiated. Oh, and in case people don't know, the owners vote in these modified rules. Not the coaches, not Goodell.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Goodell forgot this is the "National Football League" not the "International Football League." What a dope. :mrgreen:

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
LOL you just said don't blame the coaches. The coaches are the nfl rules committee and they do vote. They do decide which rules go up for vote. Roger decides what gos up for the voting(to the coaches) and legal reasons dictate that. So the ball starts rolling with roger. The Ex players with there pussy, I made millions of dollars and got a concussion law suit is a lot of the problem. So in case you didn't know don't say blame the nfl rules committee and not the coaches, when then committee is full of coaches(and a few gms).

mikeak

Reaction score
Most people that work in dangerous industries come to accept the pain and the risk that comes with it. Nobody can anticipate and accept the memory loss, the inability to hold on to a thought and deep depressions that is the result of the concussions and hits to the head. Wait until today's players or the ones retiring now have 10 years retirement. We will se a LOT more Junior Seau examples.

And the RB can lower his shoulders. Read the new rules. Also read a few of the in-depth articles focusing on the families living with these former players.... Many whom did NOT make millions and can't even pay for their daily life and can't hold on to a job due to their problems.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":327k4rqv said:
LOL you just said don't blame the coaches. The coaches are the nfl rules committee and they do vote. They do decide which rules go up for vote. Roger decides what gos up for the voting(to the coaches) and legal reasons dictate that. So the ball starts rolling with roger. The Ex players with there pussy, I made millions of dollars and got a concussion law suit is a lot of the problem. So in case you didn't know don't say blame the nfl rules committee and not the coaches, when then committee is full of coaches(and a few gms).

You have no idea what you are talking about. Do a little research. Look up NFL Competition Committee, and look up NFL Owners Meeting Rule Changes. I don't have the patience of explaining it to ignorant fans. The coaches don't vote, the owners do, and the committee isn't the coaches, and Goodell doesn't vote. I give you two thumbs down :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
Well ok lets ship off more people to Iraq to get there legs blown off and have worst issues. We don't need sea food in the Us people die every year on the high seas. You ever take drugs illegaly, watch people getting there head chopped off in Mexico. I could go on and on and on about everyday people having to risk much more then nfl players. I don't feel bad for people that get compensated WAY WAY WAY WAY more. Probally the same person that voted for bushto have our 18 year old kids sent to Iraq in defending nothing but getting him reelected.Again these are suppose to be MEN amongst average men not cry baby pussies.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":27tsr9kh said:
Well ok lets ship off more people to Iraq to get there legs blown off and have worst issues. We don't need sea food in the Us people die every year on the high seas. You ever take drugs illegaly, watch people getting there head chopped off in Mexico. I could go on and on and on about everyday people having to risk much more then nfl players. I don't feel bad for people that get compensated WAY WAY WAY WAY more. Probally the same person that voted for bushto have our 18 year old kids sent to Iraq in defending nothing but getting him reelected.Again these are suppose to be MEN amongst average men not cry baby pussies like you.

I give you 4 thumbs down, wierdo. Lets go for 8? :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: I wanna hear what other crazy thoughts go threw your head. I find it entertaining.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
Have to watched the off season meeting stone cold. google the nfl competition committee and see who is on it. If you cant recognize the names then you don't know anything about that nfl. ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of the changes brought to the owners are voted on by nfl coaches and discussed, before proposed to the owners. ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of the proposals brought to the coaches in the meetings are bought up by the players unions and roger. Oh and roger decides who is on the committee as well you know he has no say in what happens in the nfl.