Proof of how popular football is

davidonmi

Reaction score
if Mike Trout were the football player and Kaepernick the baseball player Trout would've quite possibly gotten every vote. Well, there goes the five seconds of attention I'm giving to the ESPYS this year

nategreat

Reaction score
Baseball players aren't athletes. Neither are golfers or race car drivers.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
IDK, there's a valid point somewhere within shouting distance of what Nategreat said. How much of an athlete are you if you can excel at a given sport being 50 pounds overweight and not in good enough shape to jog 1 mile? Just a thought.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":26of2aub said:
IDK, there's a valid point somewhere within shouting distance of what Nategreat said. How much of an athlete are you if you can excel at a given sport being 50 pounds overweight and not in good enough shape to jog 1 mile? Just a thought.

Let's go ask some OL.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
DTexHawk":20efk89e said:
Let's go ask some OL.

Huh? NFL O-linemen can still jog a mile, no problem. They're in very good condition underneath the extra weight. Let's test the jogging distance of overweight golfers, though; lol.

nategreat

Reaction score
Hahaha didn't mean to stir the pot.... I was only kidding. But it's true there ARE some baseball players who it's hard to argue their athleticism for. But to be in MLB, you've still got to be one of the best in the world at what they do. So props to that. And there are no doubt some MLB players who are just as athletically gifted as top football or basketball players.

And golf, yeahhhh, I guess you could argue that golfers are athletes. But walking 20 feet to a hole and trunk/hip rotation doesn't make an athletic freak. Good at golf? Yes. Athlete? Questionable. And race car driving? That's not even a serious question. Definitely takes skill and precision- but are those athletic tendencies? Do you have to be strong or fast or quick? Only in the mind. And good hand-eye coordination helps.

I guess it just depends how you define athlete. In the sense of being good at a sport, yes. In the sense of being physically gifted when it comes to speed, strength, quickness, etc.... again, that's a whole different story.

heyu123

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2mjl3m6f said:

Being able to run a mile, which a lot of MLB players can do, is not the only trait of an athlete.

If people think you don't have to be athletic to hit a baseball, field a baseball, and throw then that's absolutely ridiculous.

TheLargentLine

Reaction score
I think one of the most impressive things about professional baseball players is also the most overlooked: These guys stand in the box with 90+ mph fastballs coming their way time and time again. Not to mention sliders, curveballs, etc. That in itself is very impressive.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3gbvy1bo said:
DTexHawk":3gbvy1bo said:
Let's go ask some OL.

Huh? NFL O-linemen can still jog a mile, no problem. They're in very good condition underneath the extra weight. Let's test the jogging distance of overweight golfers, though; lol.

The vast majority of golfers (professionals) walk well over 5 miles each round and will normally do this 6 days a week. This is on uneven terrain, up and down hills. They hit 100's if not 1000's of full swing shots daily. The ones at the top also have an extensive work-out programs for cardio, flexibility, and strength, usually spending 2+ hours a day on that.

I would like to see your list of overweight golfers on the PGA Tour, or in the top 250 worldwide. Probably couldn't find 5 or 10 that would qualify and I would put each of them against OL's for "jogging" a mile (not that jogging a mile is any proof of athleticism).

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Careful, iRo is one of the resident experts on fitness and fitness regimes. He'll be here to tell you how wrong you are in a moment.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
heyu123":2s1lj86o said:
RolandDeschain":2s1lj86o said:

Being able to run a mile, which a lot of MLB players can do, is not the only trait of an athlete.

If people think you don't have to be athletic to hit a baseball, field a baseball, and throw then that's absolutely ridiculous.
Babe Ruth was still a very effective baseball player while being overweight and hungover on a daily basis during the latter part of his career. You think Tom Brady would even have stats as good as Josh Freeman if he played NFL games hungover and carrying an extra 50 pounds? Not a chance in hell. Now, I'm not saying you can weigh 700 pounds and still be an All-Star MLB player, but it's ridiculous to think you have to be in great physical shape overall to be a good MLB player. Some sports just require significantly more on the human body than others. Why do you think there are 16 games in an NFL season compared to 162 games in an MLB season? If NFL players had to play 162 games in 180 days, they would literally die before reaching the halfway point.

HawksFTW":2s1lj86o said:
Careful, iRo is one of the resident experts on fitness and fitness regimes. He'll be here to tell you how wrong you are in a moment.
HawksFTW, I honestly tried to be as "special" as you in the douche bag awards thread, and I couldn't even come close. Could you give me some tips?

BTW, John Daly has spent much of his golfing career overweight by 20-50 pounds. Just look at random pics of him on Google Images, like this one:

john-daly-golf_1214625c.jpg

*Edited because I thought this was the shack, initially.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":odhvsvwh said:
HawksFTW, I honestly tried to be as cunty as you in the douche bag awards thread, and I couldn't even come close. Could you give me some tips?

BTW, John Daly has spent much of his golfing career overweight by 20-50 pounds. Just look at random pics of him on Google Images, like this one:

john-daly-golf_1214625c.jpg

How would you compare your own fitness to his?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HawksFTW":3r4nbk3g said:
Oh, I'm assuming he's more physically fit/capable than I am right now. I think the real question here though, is why are you so obsessed with my physical appearance?

HawksFTW

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2qyal7ui said:
HawksFTW":2qyal7ui said:
Oh, I'm assuming he's more physically fit/capable than I am right now. I think the real question here though, is why are you so obsessed with my physical appearance?

I don't believe that was a physical appearance related question, my point was exactly the opposite. Physical appearance and fitness are two different things. I just was wondering what your baseline for making such statements was, but I should have realized you were talking about of your ass again.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Let's call it physicality instead, then; and I guess you are, in fact, supremely qualified to talk about whether someone's talking out of their arse, or not. Few people I've seen do it more than you.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":10soy6kv said:
Let's call it physicality instead, then; and I guess you are, in fact, supremely qualified to talk about whether someone's talking out of their arse, or not. Few people I've seen do it more than you.

Physicality? And what exactly are you trying to do here? I would wager even the most overweight athlete regardless of sport is in better shape in terms of base fitness than the average American, and it isn't even really close.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HawksFTW":1f6h2avp said:
I would wager even the most overweight athlete regardless of sport is in better shape in terms of base fitness than the average American, and it isn't even really close.

Oh, I completely agree. I'm just saying, the physical fitness requirement for a golfer or MLB player is way less than what's required for an NFL or soccer player, on average.