Bye, Packers; a weak O-line gets weaker. Bulaga likely out

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Well, 90% of my "this sucks" feeling is only because it makes it more likely that the 49ers will win; but rest assured, the last 10% is sympathy for a player getting injured before the season even starts.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":378zbtir said:
Well, 90% of my "this sucks" feeling is only because it makes it more likely that the 49ers will win; but rest assured, the last 10% is sympathy for a player getting injured before the season even starts.
See, I knew we understood each other.:)

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I don't want a 6th-rounder for McQuistan. I don't think he's necessarily worth more than that, but he's a good backup at minimum that can play multiple positions, and with our history of O-line injuries, he's worth more to us than we'd get for him elsewhere.

chris98251

Reaction score
If it were the Jags maybe if we got good value, you don't trade to a power thats in the hunt with you. Mc Q has been saving our ass since he got here, if were looking at our Oline depth as a strength I say embrace it while we have it lest you forget 4 years ago and having to go find Mike Gibson and others off the street to even have a line available.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
We have some good versatile young guys coming up. Bailey, Bowie, and Person. All getting strong reviews. One would hope Carp assumes the starting role this year, but that is not certain. McQ makes ~3.5 million in the final year of his deal. Would definitely help us roll cap if we could trade him.

Now is the perfect time to trade him IMO.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3ajeytlu said:
We have some good versatile young guys coming up. Bailey, Bowie, and Person. All getting strong reviews. One would hope Carp assumes the starting role this year, but that is not certain. McQ makes ~3.5 million in the final year of his deal. Would definitely help us roll cap if we could trade him.

Now is the perfect time to trade him IMO.

All of the players you mention are getting strong reviews but none of them have played a snap in an NFL game before. Sweezy got rave reviews all preseason last year only to get beaten like a rented mule in the season opener. Now, granted, he got better as the season progressed but I don't think it's worth trading our primary backup lineman (and possible starter) for peanuts until the young kids have a few games under their belts at the least. Let's find out for sure what we have in these guys first.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
That's a huge bummer for Bulaga. Is it me, or have there been more injuries this offseason?

I expect the Packers to sign Frank Omiyale based on how well he did for us last year.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
I remember the 2010 draft, we were up in the air about who we wanted to draft... Davis or Bulaga... I remember being shocked he lasted all the way til the Pack.

That really sucks. Losing a LT is huge, especially for a team that hasn't had great protection. I can't deny that it doesn't improve our chances in week 1, but you want to beat teams fair and square, not because of an injury. Hopefully the guy can comeback next year strong.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
NinerBuff":eyjgot45 said:
I can't deny that it doesn't improve our chances in week 1, but you want to beat teams fair and square, not because of an injury.

Plus, it makes it that much worse if you lose.

Throwdown

Reaction score
He's not really THAT good, they'll be fine.

But the more hits Rodgers takes, the more I smile.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":2rklfetw said:
NinerBuff":2rklfetw said:
I can't deny that it doesn't improve our chances in week 1, but you want to beat teams fair and square, not because of an injury.

Plus, it makes it that much worse if you lose.

This is also true... The GB game is pretty crucial for us, because our first 5 games are really tough:

GB
@ SEA (SNF)
IND
@ STL (TNF)
HOU (SNF)

Our schedule is easier from there, but if we can get through with a 3-2 or better record, it'll set up really nicely for a good playoff push.

What will be more interesting in the GB game will be how they plan to play Kaep. I think they'll try to limit his rushing and leave single deep safety help over the top, which will mean a big day for Kaep, Vernon, Boldin, and company

kearly

Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that Rodgers protection holds steady or possibly even improves with the loss of Bulaga. Bulaga was almost a sub-mediocre pass protector who played nearly all his snaps at RT. The guy who actually did play left tackle the last two seasons, Marshall Newhouse, is still on the team and will simply resume the same job he's been doing. At right tackle, they'll be replacing Bulaga with rookie David Bahktiari, who is slightly undersized but has fantastic college game tape. Bahktiari was hands down my favorite mid-round lineman in last year's draft, and was (I thought) the best pass blocking tackle outside the "big 3" in the 2013 draft.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ndlnj6o said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/report-packers-fear-left-tackle-bryan-bulaga-torn-041352839.html

So, does Rodgers take 60+ sacks for the first time in his career? He has taken 50+ sacks in a season twice already.

This sucks, because I want the Packers to beat the 49ers in their season opener.

Hate to see anyone get hurt but its not going to make a difference, we will still win at home.

mretrade

Reaction score
I am surprised how well the Niners have fared against the Packers. I think we do well against one dimensional teams. We have beat them the last 2-3 times we have faced them and are actually pretty solid favorites in the opener.

kearly

Reaction score
mretrade":1udr7pln said:
I am surprised how well the Niners have fared against the Packers.

It's weird how the Seahawks and 49ers very similar, and yet excel / struggle in such different ways. I really doubt that Seattle dominates the Packers in the playoffs the way Kaepernick did in that last quarter+. But then the 49ers couldn't beat the Rams, couldn't beat the Vikings, got crushed by the Giants, got crushed by the Seahawks. The Seahawks never had loss bigger than 7 points, but lost to some of the worst teams they faced.

Both teams are weird.