Can the Cardinals poke their beaks into the Wild Card race?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
They are back to .500 and have home for Houston, at Jacksonville next. Their hardest games left are at Indy, at us, and at home for San Francisco. If they pick off a win in one of those three games, honestly, I can see them getting to 10-6.

The problem is that the Lions have a game on them and are a better team, but I think if we're talking about the Panthers as a Wild Card threat (and we should be), we should consider Arizona as a threat as well. Well, unless they drop a home date with the Texans or a game against the Jags. Then, yeah, forget I ever posted this.

C-Dub

Reaction score
They're right there with the Lions, GB, Dallas, and the Panthers, so yeah, they are in the fight for a Wild Card. Unfortunately, this division will hurt their chances.

drdiags

Reaction score
They need Palmer to hold it together. Ellington gives them a running game they haven't had in awhile. Not sure if the Lions are on a major ride or not but they should be in the hunt for a wildcard and the title if the Packers slip. Panthers may not win the NFC South but I can see them as a wildcard team as well.

Unless teams in the NFC East get hot, there will be no wildcards from that division. The NFC South looks like Saints with Panthers fighting for wildcard. NFC North looks like Packers and Lions fighting it out, with the Lions as my bet to slip to a wildcard battle. NFC West has two teams fighting for the division and appear to be headed toward +11 wins for both. Cards could surprise but I see them behind 3 other strong wildcard possibilities.

Lions, Panthers, Seahawks/9ers looking at the 2 wildcards.

Division crowns for Saints, Packers, Seahawks/9ers and a mud fight for the crown in the NFC East.

As Patterson returns a 109 yd return against the Packers. Hmmm, may have to hold off on my predictions.

Laloosh

Reaction score
NFC North will get the other wild card imo.

AZ would probably fair well in any other division but having to play 4 games against SEA and SF is a lot to overcome.

C-Dub

Reaction score
Yeah, Ellington is a playmaker. They need to use him to be effective. Can't believe he wasn't used against us. That's the one guy I was worried about.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I am not sure a win against this year's Falcon's is a measuring stick of anything right now. They have been pretty sucky most of the season. I'm not seeing 10 wins for them.

OrFan

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":145xvsfw said:
I am not sure a win against this year's Falcon's is a measuring stick of anything right now. They have been pretty sucky most of the season. I'm not seeing 10 wins for them.

Exactly. The Cards are pure garbage. Just because they got a win against the Falcons doesn't change that. It is like a team beating the Jags and all of a sudden that makes them a good team, not so.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
OrFan":pb06p3be said:
Jazzhawk":pb06p3be said:

Exactly. The Cards are pure garbage. Just because they got a win against the Falcons doesn't change that. It is like a team beating the Jags and all of a sudden that makes them a good team, not so.
Correct. 7-9 does seen realistic though. Right now I would bet on Carolina and somebody from the NFCN for the second wildcard.

themunn

Reaction score
Panthers have 2 games against the Saints to go, plus the Patriots, 49ers, and Dolphins/Jets (can't be sure which team turns up for them).
Obviously the Lions have the NFC North to contend with - and in fact have a H2H with the Cardinals lost, so in fact need to finish a game ahead (as the Cardinals have to with the Panthers in order to get the wild card).

The Bears will probably be their biggest threat to the wildcard, but fortunately we should know long by the time the season is over if they'll make it - their next 6 games are (aside from the Colts) a real easy run of games (all 4 AFC South teams + Eagles + Rams at home), they close out the season and CenturyLink and then at home to San Francisco (both games can be pencilled in as losses right now, playing us at home and then playing anyone - let alone the 49ers - immediately afterwards).

Gap Filler

Reaction score
The Panthers look like a tough out. Cards could be legit if they get healthy and their offensive line gets better. Honestly though, in a 1 game deal the Panthers are a bit scary. Top 10/maybe 5 defense, a duel threat QB and a quality running game getting healthier. I'd rather play the Cards than the Panthers

Axx

Reaction score
Sf will get 5th seed but i cant picture carolina not getting the 6th

Largent80

Reaction score
The Falcons stink without their starting WR's and who wouldn't. You can't count out any team with a .500 record at the halfway point for a WC, but AZ has a few tough games as mentioned.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
drdiags":17ofa1w3 said:
Division crowns for Saints, Packers, Seahawks/9ers and a mud fight for the crown in the NFC East.
I would pay good money to see one of those teams win the division at 7-9. I'd give my left nut to see one of them make it at 6-10, and I'm not joking.

OP
OP
Smelly McUgly

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
My reasoning is merely that Arizona holds direct tiebreakers over both the Lions and Panthers. Essentially, they are tied with the Lions and one game up on the Panthers right now for that last wild card spot. Combine that with only three tough games in nine left and they may well be able to back-door their way into a playoff spot.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If anyone's curious, Carolina has the 3rd-ranked defense in the league per Football Outsiders. Nobody should overlook the Panthers.

Polaris

Reaction score
The cards have a legit shot at the #6 seed, but I just don't see it. The Card's schedule and division are seemly a bridge too far for their team. Remember the Cards have to face Sea and SF still in addition to other difficult games, and I think ARZ loses both of them, and that's going to take them out of any wildcard discussion.

Frankly the NFC Playoff picture at this point even at mid-season is looking fairly clear at this point. Given future strength of schedules and past performances (and who is coming back), the playoff picture seems to be shaping thusly:

New Orleans will win the NFC South. It would take an collapse of epic porportions to stop this. However, New Orleans has to face a tough Carolina squad twice, and both SF and Sea. Brutal. I don't see them surviving this without a couple more losses (@SEA is almost a sure loss right there). Thus I see NO either as the #2 or #3 seed (likely #2).

The #1 seed will go to the NFC West Champion. That will be either Seattle or San Fran just like everyone expected. Seattle has the easier path since SF has to face NO at the Superdome (very difficult at best) while Seattle gets NO at home. In addition, Sea has already beaten SF once. However, the rematch is at candlestick. Given the rest of the schedules for both, I see the Winner of the NFC West going 12-4 minimum and likely 13-3 or even better....and that should be enough for the #1 seed. I also think the dust won't clear on this fight until the very last couple weeks of the season which leads to.....

The #5 seed will go to either Sea or SF (whoever doesn't get the #1 seed) and that will likely be a WC team with a very impressive record otherwise. [In short we are seeing a replay of what happened last year save that Sea and SF have switched places. Now SEA is the setting the pace and SF is hoping for a Sea stumble while in 2012 it was the other way around.]

The #4 Seed will go to whoever wins the putrid fest otherwise known as the NFC East. I am betting on the 'boys, but all of them are still in it. We may see another sub-500 playoff team!

So that leaves the #3 seed and the #6 seed. The NFC North Champ will almost surely take the #3 seed (and has an outside shot at the #2 seed). Right now that looks to be a contest between the Packers and the Lions. I don't think Chicago has what it takes to compete. Between the two, I would bet on the Packers since they have better and more consistant QB play. Megatron is awesom, but as a team IMHO the Packers are simply better.

So that leaves the #6 seed which I see coming down to between the Lions and the Panthers. Of the two, the Panthers have a tougher road to hoe.

Regardless, I don't see any realistic room here for the cards at this time.

Polaris

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":26a0qexw said:
My reasoning is merely that Arizona holds direct tiebreakers over both the Lions and Panthers. Essentially, they are tied with the Lions and one game up on the Panthers right now for that last wild card spot. Combine that with only three tough games in nine left and they may well be able to back-door their way into a playoff spot.

It's possible. Certainly Arz owns the right tiebreakers for the last seed in the NFC playoffs. The problem is that 'zona has to face the NFC West and that ain't easy. In particular they have to face both SF and Sea again, and I don't think the Cards have enough margin for error to withstand a loss to both of them and losing to both is exactly what I think will happen.

OP
OP
Smelly McUgly

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
Gonna necro-post to give myself some dap because I rarely get something right.

The Cardinals have beaten the Panthers, Lions, and Colts now. Their four losses are to the three NFCW teams (no surprise as this is the best division in football, no questions) and New Orleans. They are #1 in defensive DVOA. They are legit.

Now, the question is whether or not they can displace SF. I need to look at the upcoming schedules and make a guess...