Who gets the NFC Wild Card slots? (poll)

Who gets the NFC wild card slots?

• Detroit (NFCN)

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • Chicago (NFCN)

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • Carolina (NFCS)

Votes: 119 86.9%
  • San Francisco (NFCW)

Votes: 80 58.4%
  • Arizona (NFCW)

Votes: 25 18.2%
  • Other (Who and why)

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
I'll update the standings weekly and track picks if the thread gets any traction. See who's right in the end. That said, if you're going to vote, be sure to declare your picks if you want to be included.

TeamPicked By
Detroit (NFCN)JGfromtheNW, MANUNITED23, Seahawkfan80, raisethe3
Chicago (NFCN)Laloosh, mikeak, Hasselbeck
Carolina (NFCS)loafoftatupu, volsunghawk, Laloosh, JGfromtheNW, RolandDeschain, mikeak, KCHawkGirl, irocdave, MANUNITED23, Hasselbeck, Seahawkfan80, Fudwamper
San Francisco (NFCW)loafoftatupu, volsunghawk, Sarlacc83, KCHawkGirl, Polaris, raisethe3
Arizona (NFCW)RolandDeschain, irocdave, Fudwamper
New Orleans (NFCS)Polaris
Other

I'm going with CAR and CHI. I think SF falls out of the race. AZ would be my 2nd pick if they didn't have to play the NFCW. GB will struggle w/out their QB and Chicago has a decent backup.

CaptBennett

Reaction score
I think Carolina might be able to win their division. They are only one game back from the Saints and they have a tough schudule coming up.

Axx

Reaction score
Seattle beats the niners @the stick eliminating the niners from the hunt

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
SF is going to make it people. The remaining games for them are all winnable, including the one with the Hawks. I just can't see them losing another game outside of that one and we know it is going to be a bloodbath down there for our game.

I think it is Panthers and Niners in the WC.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
CaptBennett":153q04s4 said:
I think Carolina might be able to win their division. They are only one game back from the Saints and they have a tough schudule coming up.

This is a possibility, but I see a split with them and NOLA.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
You don't think AZ can beat them in AZ?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3twtu8jm said:
SF is going to make it people. The remaining games for them are all winnable, including the one with the Hawks. I just can't see them losing another game outside of that one and we know it is going to be a bloodbath down there for our game.

That's my thinking, too.

People are dismissing the Niners because of the last two games, but they were against 2 of the best teams in the conference. If there's one thing that SF has illustrated in their games this year, it's that they have the talent to overwhelm weaker teams, but struggle with top-tier teams. Now, look at their remaining schedule:

@Washington
St. Louis
Seattle
@Tampa
Atlanta
@Arizona

They should handle Washington and Atlanta, easily. They struggled with St. Louis last season, but didn't seem to have any issues with them this year, so I think you could argue that they beat the Rams, too. If we continue playing like we have the last two games, we should win in SF.

The @Tampa game is a wildcard. If Tampa can ride this recent streak of improved play, maybe they give the Niners a game. But I think the Niners take that one, making them a 10-5 team going into that final game @Arizona. So the question is whether you think they can beat Arizona on the road. I think they can, probably, but in any case, I see them as at least a 10 win team. And right now, that looks good enough to get them a WC spot. There won't be any WCs coming from the NFCE, and the Bears are the only challenge to SF grabbing a spot.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Sad to say the 49ers are probably going to be the WC. The good news is that since they struggle with good teams, they're probably eliminated as the 6 six seed.

Edit: Panthers or Saints are a lock for bye/WC in either order.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
It's going to be an interesting race for the WC spots.

I see the 49ers potentially competing with the #2 in the NFCN (Lions or Bears) or #2 in the NFCS (Panthers or Saints).

The 9ers still face three or four teams that could hand them losses.

@Washington isn't going to be easy. Redskins D isn't that great, but 9ers offense hasn't been anything to be proud of either. If the Racistskins sell out to stop the running game, they have a great chance. Their secondary isn't elite, but it's not as sad as the Packers.

Seahawks - I don't think I need to speak on this.

@Tampa Bay could be a trap game (think Miami last year). Bucs have nothing to lose (except draft position) and you can bet Shitano wants to win. Bucs have been playing inspired football this week and we saw how they match up against us.

@Arizona is the last game of the season for them and could have playoff implications for both teams if the Cards get hot. Arizona played us tough, no reason to expect otherwise against the Whiners.

The other teams listed; the Bears, Lions, Panthers and Saints all have pretty tough schedules left. The easiest probably going to the Lions at this point, though.

Saints and Panthers have yet to play each other this season and the Bears already lost twice to the Lions.

It's going to be at least a three team race for the last two spots, I think.

I voted for the Panthers and the Lions. Might be wishful thinking :49ersmall:

volsunghawk

Reaction score
For clarity's sake, I'll state my picks and the rest of the NFC field:

I think the Panthers and 49ers make it in as WCs.

I think the Eagles or Cowboys take the NFCE and that no other teams from that division make it in.

I think the Lions take the NFCN based on their cake schedule and that the QB issues that Chicago and GB are facing eliminate them from contention.

I think we take the NFCW and the Saints take the NFCS.

1 Seattle
2 New Orleans
3 Detroit
4 Philly/Dallas
5 Carolina
6 San Francisco

mikeak

Reaction score
49ers can very realistically lose against St Louis, Seattle and Arizona.

All good defenses that should put pressure on Kaep

Even the at washington game should worry them a lot

I think Panthers split with Saints or maybe even win both - which is not something that will help the 49ers. Their best bet is that Saints just dominate that division and hand the Panthers two losses

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
mikeak":mijoqfwy said:

I think Panthers split with Saints or maybe even win both - which is not something that will help the 49ers. Their best bet is that Saints just dominate that division and hand the Panthers two losses

So what are your picks?

Polaris

Reaction score
I'm torn. I think there is a very real chance that Carolina wins the NFCS. I really want to put my name on my picks after tonight's game. Now Carolina plays New England will tell me a lot. If Carolina can take it to New England, then I think Carolina will at least split if not sweep NO (and will win their other division games). However, facing NO twice is a tall order for anyone. If they don't, then I don't think they can get enough wins to make the wildcard with their schedule.

The Bears are a fairly weak team, but they have a fairly favorable schedule. As for the Niners, I think some of you are writing them off too soon. The Niners have faced a brutal part of their schedule and failed the test, but their schedule eases up dramatically in the home stretch with the only really difficult game left being Seattle and maybe @ARZ. That should be enough for a wildcard berth.

Joey13091

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":8tdfylrw said:

I agree with everything you said here.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I admit that I voted for who I wanted to get it, not who I thought really would. (Voted for Carolina & Arizona.)

mikeak

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":32am93j4 said:
mikeak":32am93j4 said:

So what are your picks?

I picked Panthers and Chicago then looked down and saw that it agreed with the OP

The Outfield

Reaction score
Chicago and Carolina. Chicago has a relatively easy schedule and Carolina appears to be quite a good team (we'll see tonight)

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
volsunghawk":x1vev38b said:
1 Seattle
2 New Orleans
3 Detroit
4 Philly/Dallas
5 Carolina
6 San Francisco
Solid analysis. But I'd like it better if the Whiners/Panthers were flipped. Division rematches in the first round after the bye would be kinda lame.