Ahmad Brooks fined $15,750 by NFL for Drew Brees hit

Jville

Reaction score
:D

"You can't make forcible contact to the head or the neck area, even if the contact starts below the neck and rises up," NFL VP of officiating Dean Blandino said on Tuesday's edition of NFL Network's "NFL Total Access."
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000285060/article/ahmad-brooks-fined-15750-by-nfl-for-drew-brees-hit[/urltargetblank]

rjas77

Reaction score
So basically the call was correct? Refresh my memory...Did Kam get fined for hitting Davis last year?

Laloosh

Reaction score
Flag was thrown, league agreed with the call - hence a fine.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Well technically, he's only going to pay like 5 grand of it. Teddy Bruschi and Ray Lewis are chipping in to pay for it.

mikeak

Reaction score
It is Drew Brees's fault. If he doesn't fall down the arm won't make contact with the neck area :)

Trrrroy

Reaction score
It was a clean hit. Bogus penalty and fine, IMO. If I saw a Hawk get penalized for a hit like that I would be pissed.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I just don't understand why you should get fined in the first place, the penalty should be enough. And it was wrong even Brees knew it judging by the grin on his face when asked about it.

Polaris

Reaction score
rjas77":16szu8b8 said:
So basically the call was correct? Refresh my memory...Did Kam get fined for hitting Davis last year?

Bam-Bam did not hit the head or neck area. It only looked like he did in real time because Davis' head whip-lashed. The replays made that crystal clear. The league agreed which is why they did not fine him.

In the case of Brooks, intentional or not (and it clearly was not), he DID violate the rule and DID impact the neck of a helpless player. IT doesn't matter if the initial hit hit the neck as long as the neck was hit. It was.

It was a good call according to the rules. Since the call was good, a fine had to be forthcoming.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Polaris":2a4bk1ux said:
rjas77":2a4bk1ux said:

Bam-Bam did not hit the head or neck area. It only looked like he did in real time because Davis' head whip-lashed. The replays made that crystal clear. The league agreed which is why they did not fine him.

In the case of Brooks, intentional or not (and it clearly was not), he DID violate the rule and DID impact the neck of a helpless player. IT doesn't matter if the initial hit hit the neck as long as the neck was hit. It was.

It was a good call according to the rules. Since the call was good, a fine had to be forthcoming.

The call was horrible and he can appeal.

Polaris

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":16ykczqh said:
Polaris":16ykczqh said:
rjas77":16ykczqh said:

It was a good call according to the rules. Since the call was good, a fine had to be forthcoming.[/quo

The call was horrible and he can appeal.

He can and to my knowledge has appealed, but the rule is clear.

You can not hit the head or NECK of a defenseless player. It DOESN'T MATTER how the impact happens or it it was initial or the hit 'slid into' the prohibited area. The replay evidence is clear. Brook's biceps DID touch the neck area and the neck was involved in the tacke.

That's fifteen yards and a fine. Period.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
The slow-mo in my opinion made Brees' head look like a pez dispenser.

KK84

Reaction score
This is a clear cut case of the penalty and therefore the fine being correct as per NFL rules. However, the rule itself is complete and utter bullshit.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I suspect that if this was Clemons or Bennett the bulk of the responses would flip.

It is an absolutely idiotic rule.

The fine is a ridiculous piling on. At this point, a defender has to realize that since they are at a much higher risk of being fined/flagged for unintentional actions, they might as well engage in actions that have the same chances or lower for flags and fines but a much higher chance of injury. Meriweather alluded to as much.

Defensive players are going to have to adjust to hitting low instead of high, even though the risk of injuring the opposing player goes up significantly. The rules have simply been adjusted too much so that any high hit leaves the door open to too much subjective interpretation by what are already clearly fallible refs.

When tackling QBs, go for the waist or the knees. If you hit the knees you might injure one and get a flag, but when trying to go high you might hit the helmet and get a flag anyway. But as long as you aim at the waist or lower, the QB cannot easily duck his head into the hit and get a bailout flag.
Even with the risk of flags, the benefit of aiming low outweighs the risk.

Galen96

Reaction score
the wording of the rule says "head or neck AREA" unfortunately it broke that rule, and was correctly called.... honestly, if that was russell getting clocked like that, Id be pissed.. if it was clem laying that hit, I'd have his back, but acknowledge that the call was correct.

NorCal

Reaction score
The problem i have with the rule is if they are saying that when the initial contact is legal, but moves to the head/neck area, then that is a penalty. So, if a defender was to hit the QB in a picture perfect form tackle, meaning the shoulder pad is initially hitting the chest area, but as the two players hit the ground, the shoulder pad moves up and contacts the head/neck area, then that is a penalty?? Because if so, then most sacks should be penalties.

THe rule is the problem.