Great article on Kap and Newton

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-r ... ent-948010

Excellent analysis of each QB. Also has this to say about our favorite QB:

If Newton cleans up his inconsistencies with his accuracy, then he would easily be on the level of Luck and Wilson. Luck and Wilson are clearly the two best young quarterbacks in the NFL because both do what Newton does at his best on a more consistent basis.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
That just shows that once Kap learns to forget about the primary receiver and look to someone else, the 9ers offense will be dangerous.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":n8x5uvnb said:
That just shows that once Kap learns to forget about the primary receiver and look to someone else, the 9ers offense will be dangerous.

He should just totally skip his first read and not even bother with it.

But wait, if he skips it, then his second read will actually be his first read, and then the 49ers are back in the same dilemma as before. :mrgreen:

drdiags

Reaction score
The article shows that a QB can grow. Having the physical tools isn't a bad thing and with some work can become pretty good. I still remember Elway in his rookie year. As seasons went along, he got the last laugh.

Good article, well worth the read.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
How does a QB learn not to take so long to make a decision? I get that Harbaugh has drummed "don't turn it over" into Kaep's head, but Carroll did the same thing to Wilson, and while Wilson holds the ball longer than is the norm for QBs, it isn't necessarily because Wilson doesn't make decisions quickly (often, it just seems to be because we run a lot of plays with multiple long-developing routes).

I guess maybe Harbaugh just needs to live with a trade-off of more turnovers in the short-term for his QB learning how to progress through reads quickly in the long term.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Was a really good read. Another thing that I felt was made clear is how well SF defended in that game.

For those who feel inclined to talk about how Kaepernick can/will grow into the role, I would have you know that while this may be true, it is in no way a reason not to rub Niner noses in it while we can. Where's the fun in taking your foot off of the throat of your rival unless it's to allow an agonizing scream from time to time? It's all in fun.

That said, Go Hawks!

Laloosh

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":kqh277mu said:
How does a QB learn not to take so long to make a decision? I get that Harbaugh has drummed "don't turn it over" into Kaep's head, but Carroll did the same thing to Wilson, and while Wilson holds the ball longer than is the norm for QBs, it isn't necessarily because Wilson doesn't make decisions quickly (often, it just seems to be because we run a lot of plays with multiple long-developing routes).

I guess maybe Harbaugh just needs to live with a trade-off of more turnovers in the short-term for his QB learning how to progress through reads quickly in the long term.

Could be anything really. He's probably being asked to hold onto the ball if coverage is tight. Things haven't really gone well for him when forcing it (see @SEA game).

The game moves pretty quickly - just reading through Cam's progressions in a single play made me think, "holy crap that's a lot to take in".

SeaTown81

Reaction score
For as much as I love ripping on Kaep's technical inadequacies as a qb, Cam Newton is showing people that a young qb can hit some stumbling blocks and grow beyond them. I'm nowhere close to writing off Kaeppy. Especially as long as the Niners are able to field the sort of team they have around him. If he was the qb he is today on a really bad team, I'd like his chances of not growing a lot better than I do with him on a team like SF. Carolina's defense has really helped Cam take a step back and simplify his game and not push things too much. That sort of thing is huge for a young qb struggling with certain things for the first time in his career.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I do agree that Kaepernick can always improve with hard work and good coaching. Definitely not closing the book on him.

I disagree respectfully that Manningham or Crabtree will make a difference. It seems like Kaepernick has one, maybe two targets on his passing plays. He either locks on to his first read or looks to run outside the pocket. Instead of Boldin and Davis being his two typical reads, it will just be Crabtree and Davis sliding into those positions, and Boldin will disappear even more than he already has as part of the passing game.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I was saying these things last season when the niners were winning while every mediot was on his knees bowing down to the greatness of Kaepernick. For being so-called "experts", those idiots sure take a long time to figure these types of things out.

Does anyone else laugh every time Ron Jaworski gives QB analysis? This guy told the world that Kaep would be "the greatest QB ever". I'm still laughing...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
To be fair, Ducati, he said he COULD be, not would be. Considerable difference. Either way, Jaws is a moron in regards to QB evaluation; but still. We hate it when the media misrepresents us, we should try to avoid doing the same to them. There are plenty of legitimate things to make fun of them for. 8)

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":s5rju0co said:
For those who feel inclined to talk about how Kaepernick can/will grow into the role, I would have you know that while this may be true, it is in no way a reason not to rub Niner noses in it while we can. Where's the fun in taking your foot off of the throat of your rival unless it's to allow an agonizing scream from time to time? It's all in fun.

It's a fairer question than some Niner fans would admit. Kaepernick's physical tools are obvious, but it's just as obvious that he has not developed as a quarterback from last year to this one. And while he is certainly capable of it, there is no guarantee that he will. How many young players have come through Seattle all these years with great potential who have failed to live up to it! (How many years did we keep Jordan Kent on the roster until it became apparent that he would not develop enough as a receiver to take advantage of his physical tools?)

It would be foolish to say that Kaepernick will never put it all together the way Newton seems to have done this year, but there is a real possibility that he won't take that next step. With him becoming eligible for an extension after this season and his contract (if not extended) up after 2014, it's going to be interesting to see how much faith San Francisco actually has in him.

mikeak

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2yo2xyl4 said:
Cam apparently can complete a pre-snap read unlike Kaepernick, however. It helps when you can eliminate or prioritize routes based on looking at where the LBs and safeties are lined up.

BINGO

It is about pre-snap recognition. Even if you don't throw immediately you anticipate the defense doing certain things and when they do you can make your throw. When they DON'T then if you are smart enough you can adjust based on it. Oh they did that instead well then my read 3 should be open lets go right there or maybe go back to read 1 who may be open now.

You can teach it to an extent, you can learn it yourself to an extent (obviously spending every waking moment in the film room helps....) but some will never get it. I am not going to assume Kaep will get it but also don't assume that he won't.....

Exittium

Reaction score
this article really just shows how... not necessarily weak but poorly the saints defense really is.. we have 2x the amount of offensive weps then the whiners for Wilson to throw/hand off to. We'll carve the saints up imo. Looking at those pics look how many guys are truely open, We'll have a hay day with the saints and 49ers imo.

rlkats

Reaction score
Fact Kap caught the nfl by surprise last year. They were highly unaware of his running. But the playoffs and sb proves teams found out how to beat him. Will he get better sure he has a chance like anyone he has all the tools and has a strong arm. He is way to immature still and needs to figure out how to grow and be a professional then the rest will hopefully come into play.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Kap and Newton have always been able to rely on their physical gifts (size, strength, speed). This has made it harder for them to develop the other QB attributes needed to be great (a crutch).

minormillikin

Reaction score
Kaepernick's main problem is that if he really hates Spongebob so much, he should move and get a different job.