Saints D?

hawker84

Reaction score
Did anybody that watched last weeks game between the Saints and Falcons come away from that game thinking Saints D is pretty darn Good. I know i sure didn't, yet when i happened on by their board and came accross this thread regarding Harvin it was full of stuff like:

Lewis is a shutdown corner he'll take Tate away: Huh? i sure didn't see a shutdown corner on their team last thursday night.

Or this little gem, it's hard to get Harvin the ball when wilson will be on his back all day. again huh? I sure don't remember seeing a legit pass rush all night.

Corey White will be on baldwin, if he can play physical he can shut Baldwin down, say what? white is the worst of the bunch back there, plus he's a rookie, baldwin should have a field day.

Then of course there's the classic, Harvin won't play, he'll probably have a headache.

I just lost a ton of respect for that board, they obviously have no clue about our team and are just commenting off of stats and or heresay. If it's one thing that does not worry me about the Saints, it's their Defense.. Good Grief...

http://blackandgold.com/saints/62239-percy-harvin.html

drdiags

Reaction score
I don't know, maybe the less enlightened fans are the ones making comments? I mean, our recent PI folks commented on how many on this forum were um ... new fans, so it can be easy upon first reflection that you miss out on the more knowledgeable folks? It is all just bravado at the end of the day. And it usually comes in groves the closer you get to the playoffs. It becomes a battle to see who can talk the most junk to will their team to victory.

Erebus

Reaction score
I'm not the slightest bit worried about their secondary, but their pass rush did look pretty good.

OP
OP
hawker84

hawker84

Reaction score
Really? I guess i'm going to have to re-watch that game then. I don't remember seeing anything that even remotely concerned me about their pass rush..

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
After playing the defenses that we have played this season, I'm confident we will be able to handle their D. We have played some pretty good defenses and won, most of which were without our starting tackles!

Regarding scoring defenses, we have played the #1 (Panthers), #4 (9ers), #8 (Cardinals) , #10 (Titans), #12 (Rams).

Regarding yards per game, we have played the #1 (Texans), #3 (Panthers), #7 (Cardinals), #9 (9ers), #11 (Titans), #14 (Bucs).

Saints rank at #5 for both listed stats. Definitely a very good defense, but better than anything we've seen?

Grumpy cat 8141 preview zps9177ab07

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
2 words for ya..... Rob Ryan, who was little d's d-coord last year and who's D got lit up by Wilson and this offense in only RW's second game. I'm not worried about a Rob Ryan defense.

BASF

Reaction score
Guys, their defense has played well this season. We have allowed 20 points or more a lot more than they have. They have more sacks than we do. If you are basing your thoughts on them simply by watching the Atlanta game, realize that it is a division game that is always played to a close score (like us and the Rams) where Ryan knows very well how to attack the Saints. Cutler is the only other QB that has done very well against their defense this season (Brady did have 269 yards against them, but that isn't exactly a great game from Brady). The defense against the run has outperformed our run defense and has performed very well in all except three games this season.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
BASF":3uvstm8y said:
The defense against the run has outperformed our run defense and has performed very well in all except three games this season.

I don't think that's true at all. We have 41 more rushes against us and have allowed just 11 more yards. They allow 4.8 yards a carry.

BASF

Reaction score
They have given up more than a hundred yards rushing four times to our seven. They had one game where they could not stop a very good Chris Ivory (a career 4.9 ypc rusher) and gave up 198 yards on the ground. We have had two games where we couldn't stop no name rushers and gave up 200 yards or more on the ground. We have enjoyed a few games of completely shutting down the run game of teams that suck running the football and had early leads, but they have been very consistent with only giving up in the 80 to 90 yards per game.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
They score an average of 21 PPG and give up 21.667 PPG on the road. We score an average of 32 PPG and give up 15.4 at home.

Johnny

Reaction score
Baldwin is a pretty physical WR for his size and he doesn't back down from contact...

Tate is a weird WR to cover, IMO. No one can keep him from making at least one big play in a game..

How can Wilson be laying on his back when he's handing the ball off to Beastmode, and Lynch is running through the Saints defense?

And, Harvin is the wildcard in this game.... Who on the Saints defense can cover this guy?, None of them can.

oh, and lets no forget the Hawks D.... With the crowd noise our pass rush should get to Brees..

OP
OP
hawker84

hawker84

Reaction score
And, Harvin is the wildcard in this game.... Who on the Saints defense can cover this guy?, None of them can.

Who on their team can cover any of our recievers? I have watched a few of their games, and their db's did not impress me in the least.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Their pass rush looked great against Atlanta. Atlanta has a terrible O line though

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Half the Saints fans think their defense is as good or better than ours because they saw us go down by 21 to Tampa Bay early on.

I think they're in for a surprise in six days.

Chopzley

Reaction score
hawker84":118ayqiv said:
Who on their team can cover any of our recievers? I have watched a few of their games, and their db's did not impress me in the least.

While not NEARLY as elite as ANY WR to wear a Seattle uniform....

Julio Jones
Vincent Jackson
Larry Fitzgerald
Mike Wallace
Brandon Marshall
Stevie Johnson
Dez Bryant
Anquan Boldin

NONE of the above were able to reach even 80 yards receiving on the Saints. In regards to Harvin, I think Vaccaro will get the assignment. He's displayed the ability so far to cover the slot and the opposing teams go to guy fairly well so far. Going back to his UT days he fared extremely well covering Tavon Austin, which boosted his draft stock among scouts immensely despite playing on a terrible defensive unit. Harvin however is in a league of his own when it comes to playmakers, so the rookie is definitely gonna have to prove his worth on Monday night.

As far as physicality, Keenan Lewis has been playing like one of the best CBs in the league in that category. Malcolm Jenkins has his moments as well, but is still a liability in coverage. The biggest blow to the Saints D that no one outside of New Orleans will even acknowledge is the loss of Jabari Greer. A perennial over achiever and overall underrated savvy veteran, his instincts will be sorely missed now that a 2nd year guy outta SAMFORD (huh?) college, Corey White, will have to put on his big boy pants in a hurry.

253hawk

Reaction score
I'm not too worried. The only teams to crack 20 on us not in garbage time were the Colts -- at 10 AM, in their house, with some pretty bad officiating and a fluke blocked FG -- and the Bucs who had a perfect storm 2nd quarter with some very short-field drives set up by turnovers but were held to a single FG for the rest of the game.

Their D has given up 11 running plays of 20+ yards; tied for 3rd worst in the league. Gonna Beast Mode 'em to death again. They've been gashed by all of the read-option teams since last season.

They're pretty good against the pass, but we all know Wilson doesn't have to light it up for us to put points on the board...especially with the YAC monsters that are Tate and Harvin. So long as our line protection is half-decent, I don't see too many issues.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawker84":tfjvzbzz said:
Really? I guess i'm going to have to re-watch that game then. I don't remember seeing anything that even remotely concerned me about their pass rush..

Even if you did, the Falcons have been playing with backups on their O-line all year. The Saints won't look nearly as good against the Seahawks.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Chopzley":2rv3q5lt said:
hawker84":2rv3q5lt said:

Julio Jones
Vincent Jackson
Larry Fitzgerald
Mike Wallace
Brandon Marshall
Stevie Johnson
Dez Bryant
Anquan Boldin

NONE of the above were able to reach even 80 yards receiving on the Saints. In regards to Harvin, I think Vaccaro will get the assignment. He's displayed the ability so far to cover the slot and the opposing teams go to guy fairly well so far. Going back to his UT days he fared extremely well covering Tavon Austin, which boosted his draft stock among scouts immensely despite playing on a terrible defensive unit. Harvin however is in a league of his own when it comes to playmakers, so the rookie is definitely gonna have to prove his worth on Monday night.

As far as physicality, Keenan Lewis has been playing like one of the best CBs in the league in that category. Malcolm Jenkins has his moments as well, but is still a liability in coverage. The biggest blow to the Saints D that no one outside of New Orleans will even acknowledge is the loss of Jabari Greer. A perennial over achiever and overall underrated savvy veteran, his instincts will be sorely missed now that a 2nd year guy outta SAMFORD (huh?) college, Corey White, will have to put on his big boy pants in a hurry.

None of those wr were playing with Russell Wilson. Most of those wr were either playing with backup QB or were new in their offenses. I like the Seahawks chances.

OP
OP
hawker84

hawker84

Reaction score
Chopzley":32ltohma said:
hawker84":32ltohma said:

Julio Jones
Vincent Jackson
Larry Fitzgerald
Mike Wallace
Brandon Marshall
Stevie Johnson
Dez Bryant
Anquan Boldin

That's all fine and dandy, but we don't have 100 yrd per game recievers on this team, because we spread the ball around. We have impact players, who make the clutch catches game after game. i don't care who you've faced, you're not going to cover Tate, Baldwin, Harvin, Kearse, Miller all game on every passing play..not possible, especially with a mediocre defensive backfield.