Week 15 - Pick your dogs

drdiags

Reaction score
Here are this week's underdogs (Cowboys vs Packers is a Pick-em)

FavoriteUnderdogPoint Spread
@BroncosChargers10.5
Patriots@Dolphins2.0
Bills@Jaguars2.0
@ColtsTexans6.0
Eagles@Vikings4.5
Seahawks@NY Giants7.0
9ers@Tampa Bay4.5
@BrownsBears1.5
@FalconsWashington6.0
@PanthersJets11.0
Chiefs@Raiders4.5
Cardinals@Titans3.0
Saints@Rams5.5
Bengals@Steelers3.0
@LionsRavens6.0
@CowboysPackersPick-Em

The following is only for those seeking bragging rights:

Week 14 winner
------------------

.NET handicapper# of PicksBeat the SpreadLost to the SpreadWon OutrightLost OutrightRD Factor
rsm650410121.00

This week's players
----------------------

.NET handicapper# of PicksBeat the SpreadLost to the SpreadWon OutrightLost OutrightRD Factor
aawolf630306.75
Cartire530205.25
DrDiags400315.00
Scottemojo400315.00
HFSD1410214.00
davidonmi511303.75
RolandDeschain420113.00
ClumsyLurk300213.00
ivotuk800443.00
KCHawkGirl931322.50
Polaris621212.25
AbsolutNET521110.75
Seahawkfan80752000.75
rsm65010001-1.00
OkieHawk62211-1.25

LEGEND
---------

Pick Total
----------
Pick outright winner - 2 pts
Pick spread winner - 1 pt
Miss outright winner - (-1pt)
Miss cover - (-2pts)

Scale Factor (used as multiplier of Pick Total)
--------------------------------------------
1 -4 picks = use multiplier of 1 times total value
5 -8 picks = 0.75 (if positive) or 1.25 (if negative)
9-12 picks = 0.50 (if positive) or 1.50 (if negative)
13-16 picks = 0.25 (if positive) or 1.75 (if negative)

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
I have 4 outright winners:

Jags - Gus has his team on a roll. MJD missing would hurt but Buffalo is scaling back offense for Manuel so I think the game is close.

Bears - Not sure why the pt spread is as close as it is but I think the Bears can score with the Browns and have more to lose.

Steelers - I don't trust Andy Dalton. I am going with the home team on this one.

Ravens - I also don't trust the Lions. They probably play out of their minds at home but it is hard for me to take new blood over old until they prove solid.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Man, these are some ugly choices this week, but here goes.

Cover: Jets, Ravens, TB, Texans

Outright: Bears, Jags

As far as the pick 'em...can I choose elimination by meteor strike on the field? No? Ok, the Cowgirls then, Rodgers is still out and even in December Romo is better than Flynn.

Polaris

Reaction score
Not a good week for me last week but here goes:

Win Outright: Jags, Bears, Steelers
Cover: Tampa, Jets, Rams

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Cover: Seahawks, Eagles

Outright: Jags, Dolphins

(Pats have been doing it with smoke and mirrors.....the smoke clears this week. Plus, that win in the snow in Pissburgh impressed me. That's the type of game Miami has lost since the inception of the franchise in 1966).

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Beat the spread:
Chargers
Jets
Giants (I'd take the Hawks to cover at 6.5)

To win:
Bears
Cowboys
Jags

I just realized that I've been picking underdogs to beat the spread but I've been saying "cover the spread.'

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
Once again this shows I should not try to act like I am familiar to the betting lingo. I was looking at the underdog and was using cover to mean the underdog loses by less than the spread. Looking at the semantics of "beat the spread" vs "cover" in my feeble mind it was always from the underdog's perspective. I now see that for our case, I should have not used cover, since that is from the winning team's perspective.

So in our case, pick the underdog to "beat the spread" or win outright. If you used cover with an underdog, I will assume you are thinking along the same lines as I am.

With all that said, HFSD1 you picked two favorites (Seahawks/Eagles) and said they would cover. I need underdogs only.

Cartire

Reaction score
bears and rams win outright

jets and ravens and skins beat the spread

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
drdiags":37gx8f5p said:
Once again this shows I should not try to act like I am familiar to the betting lingo. I was looking at the underdog and was using cover to mean the underdog loses by less than the spread. Looking at the semantics of "beat the spread" vs "cover" in my feeble mind it was always from the underdog's perspective. I now see that for our case, I should have not used cover, since that is from the winning team's perspective.

So in our case, pick the underdog to "beat the spread" or win outright. If you used cover with an underdog, I will assume you are thinking along the same lines as I am.

With all that said, HFSD1 you picked two favorites (Seahawks/Eagles) and said they would cover. I need underdogs only.
:34853_doh:

OK, starting over.............

Win outright: Jags, Dolphins, Bears

Cover: Chargers

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
This week is ugly so my question is can you pick the favorite to beat the spread? If so give me until tomorrow for my picks. If not the Jags to win and I will think on if anything else is worth the bother.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Lol, I was doing so well, now the last two weeks have been an absolute slaughter for me. For shame.

Spread: Chargers, Jets

Win: Jaguars, Bears

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
My Captain Insano picks are Dolphins, Bears and Ravens to win and Jets, Raiders to beat the spread. Plus the Jags to win.

aawolf

Reaction score
I'll play this week:

Outright Winners: Bears; Steelers; Dolphins

Beat the Spread: Chargers, Jets, Ravens

Cartire

Reaction score
I see cousins is starting. I'm adding skins to beat the spread. I'll put it in my original post

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
Cartire":2374ppjc said:
I see cousins is starting. I'm adding skins to beat the spread. I'll put it in my original post

Thanks! I will update my offline file I use to calculate the RD factor.

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":3joje9x0 said:
This week is ugly so my question is can you pick the favorite to beat the spread? If so give me until tomorrow for my picks. If not the Jags to win and I will think on if anything else is worth the bother.

My thinking is we only pick underdogs to either beat the spread or win outright. Favorites will not count in the RD Factoring. I also will not count any "Pick-em" selections for the "I am the man/woman" weekly calculations.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
drdiags":1e5u37d5 said:
KCHawkGirl":1e5u37d5 said:

My thinking is we only pick underdogs to either beat the spread or win outright. Favorites will not count in the RD Factoring. I also will not count any "Pick-em" selections for the "I am the man/woman" weekly calculations.
Yeah I tried to take the Hawks and give the 7 this week and got spanked by the Doc :D

So no go KCHawkGirl.