Jon Kitna to Cowboys...

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Good for Jon for being back in the NFL no matter how temporary it is. Bad thing for Jon is it's Dallas.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
I always like Kitna. He wasn't the best, but he had heart and I always rooted for him no matter where he went.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
LMAO. I'm sorry, but can Jerry Jones prove himself more useless? Jon Kitna? You're telling me a 41 year-old never-was (he's not a has-been, he's a never-was, let's be honest) is a better back-up QB than any early 20's kid fresh out of college? You've gotta be kidding me.

I know Jon Kitna had heart and was in Seattle for a while, but C'MON MAN!!!!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Spiderdan":2g8adz0a said:
169 TDs and just shy of 30,000 yards is a never was?
not to mention how many years he made it in the league

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Please point me to accomplishments in the NFL other than NFL Comeback Player of the Year in 2003. If you want to go off those types of stats, apparently Tony Romo is THE man.

Stats tell one part of the story, not the whole thing though. If you think Kitna is a decent signing in the year 2013, you're absolutely delusional. Hell, you might be Jerry Jones. It's pretty convenient you point out how many passing TD's and passing yards he had. Considering the dude also has 165 career interceptions and a career passer rating of 77.4.

Don't get me wrong, the guy had a longer NFL career than most, but the guy isn't worth even having on an NFL roster TODAY.

mikeak

Reaction score
If this was the beginning of the season and you wanted someone on the bench that you could coach up then horrible signing

They are in the playoffs. Win and move on - lose and go home. If Kitna hits the field then it is because they have no other option. I would rather have a guy that has been there and can check down and make simple reads vs a rookie that has never seen the field before.

Situational awareness is kind of important for this one

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Alright, I understand that perspective.

In my book, the dude is still a never-was.

Spiderdan

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":hjzjm1s2 said:
Alright, I understand that perspective.

In my book, the dude is still a never-was.

No. Dan McGuire is a never was, Akili Smith is a never was, Billie Jo Hobert is a never was. Someone who had 6 seasons with 3000+ yards passing, 2 with 4000+ yards passing can't be classified as a never was. If you do, then you're the delusional one.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I thought this was a joke post until I saw NFLN report it with Romo confirming it. I understand the thinking behind it but do you really think he's playoff ready right from his couch? What this tells me is that Romo is actually done for the year.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":37zierk8 said:
He coaches his son and teaches at the school. He stays in good shape.
That's a far cry from NFL shape but hey it's not a bad choice given the circumstances. Dallas has a good OL and great receivers and Kitna is borderline HoF if protected and with those receivers...

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Cowboys only had 2 QBs on their roster. None on practice squad.
Whoever they signed needed to be available within 6 days notice.
Kitna may be rusty, but he knows the playbook better than anyone else they might pick off the street. (David Carr, Tebow, ...)
Can you imagine a QB in the huddle, who doesn't know the plays in a crucial game (in case Orton goes down)?
Kitna won them a few crucial games a few years ago, when he was called upon to play.
I actually think it is a good move from the Cowboys.

sutz

Reaction score
Cowboys only had 2 QBs on their roster. None on practice squad.
Whoever they signed needed to be available within 6 days notice.
Kitna may be rusty, but he knows the playbook better than anyone else they might pick off the street. (David Carr, Tebow, ...)
Can you imagine a QB in the huddle, who doesn't know the plays in a crucial game (in case Orton goes down)?
Kitna won them a few crucial games a few years ago, when he was called upon to play.
I actually think it is a good move from the Cowboys.

This. He played for them just two seasons ago, so he knows his way around the playbook.

I too always liked Kitna for his heart and drive. I think he was jobbed by Holmgren. IMHO, he was as good as Trent Dilfer. He didn't fit Holmie's offense, maybe, but neither did the Dilf. :229031_shrug:

Jville

Reaction score
They can take John Kitna out of football.

But they can't take football out of John Kitna.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
When Jon Kitna heard Tony Romo had a herniated disc that might keep him out this week, Kitna sent a text message to coach Jason Garrett on Tuesday asking if the Cowboys needed help.

Garrett's reply was: Are you serious?

"He said, ‘Absolutely,’" Garrett said. "He was excited about it. He spoke to his family about it, and it just made sense to us."

Kitna retired after the 2011 season, when he had a herniated disc in his back. He returned to his home in Tacoma, Wash., and has been teaching math and helping coach the football team at Lincoln High School, where his son, a sophomore, is the quarterback.

Kitna is only two pounds off his playing weight, but he isn't in football shape despite having thrown for the scout team at Lincoln.

"It’s not like I have been sitting around trying to stay in shape hoping I get another shot. My career is done. I was happy with that," Kitna said. "I just knew the situation that they were in. Being down here, I felt like I might be able to help in an emergency situation, just be able to, the functionality of running a play in the NFL. So I just felt like if he felt like it was worth a shot I would be willing to do it."

Garrett gave Kitna a 30-minute window to make a decision, and Kitna's family agreed for him to leave for Dallas on Christmas Eve. He spent Wednesday trying to get back up to speed on the offense and the NFL game. But for a quarterback as experienced as Kitna, it's almost like riding a bike.

"Our high school plays aren’t quite as long as what they’re calling here," Kitna said. "But it’s a lot of the same stuff we were running when I was here. It feels good. It came back quick."

-- Charean Williams

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/co ... rylink=cpy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
IRVING — Much has been made of the Cowboys signing high school math teacher Jon Kitna out of retirement to figure into their quarterback puzzle against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday. Almost every reference has mentioned the quarterback, who retired from the Cowboys after the 2011 season, will earn about $53,000 for his Christmas week’s work.

Only Kitna, 41, is not keeping the money. It didn’t come up in his Christmas Day media scrum in the locker room. But later, while relaxing on a locker room couch and reconnecting with radio play-by-play voice Brad Sham, Kitna said he would be donating his NFL check to his school. He also told several teammates.

Since retiring from the Cowboys, Kitna, who has 15 seasons and four teams on his NFL résumé, has taught math and coached football at Lincoln High School in his native Tacoma, Wash.

The football team — the Abes — finished its season last month at 8-2. That was up from 5-5 during Kitna’s first season. Kitna’s son, Jordan, a sophomore, was his starting quarterback.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas ... school.ece