Playoff seeding

el capitan

Reaction score
I know we famously benefitted from the way teams are seeded for the playoffs when we beat the Saints 3 years ago but it is something that should be looked at very soon because the current system is dumb.

For example, we're the deserved no.1 seed (we have the best record and therefor earned the right to HFA and the "easier" road to the superb owl), yet our most likely opponents in the divisional round are the 12-4 9ers or the 11-5 Saints.
The Panthers as the no.2 seed could very well end up with either the 10-6 Eagles or a Packers team that scraped into the playoffs with 8 wins. The only way we'll get an easier matchup than the Panthers is if either both road teams win or both home teams win in the wildcard round.
I have every confidence that we can and will beat anyone at home and would personally love to see the 49ers season end at the Clink but what is the point in having a seeding system if those seeds are not based on record.

sutz

Reaction score
What is the point in having divisions if they don't mean anything come playoff time? I had no problem with hosting a playoff game at 7-9. If some team wants to host a game, win their division. Otherwise, it's meaningless. Hell the Seahawks stayed home at least once with a 12-4 record IIRC in the old days.

Shit happens. It's simple. Want a home game, win your division. Last year's standings mean nothing. How many games is only a route to the division crown, and maybe a WC if the rest of the league doesn't have better records.

But I vote to leave it as is, even if we have the same thing happen to us in the future.

OP
OP
el capitan

el capitan

Reaction score
I agree with you on the division winners hosting games against the wildcard teams as a reward for winning their respective divisions but then how hard would it be to reseed the remaining teams for the divisional round so that the no.1 seed plays the easier team as their reward for finishing first in the conference.
I'm not bringing this up because I think in anyway that we're gonna get jobbed, i appreciate that this is how it has been for a long time and I have no fear of any team we may face, especially at home, but as we are the no.1 seed it has just really occurred to me how retarded the seeding system is.

chris98251

Reaction score
What if the 49ers strength of schedule was higher and they were deemed number 1 if we had the same record even though we beat them twice and they used that formula, would we all be pissed or what?

OP
OP
el capitan

el capitan

Reaction score
chris98251":u2zt28a7 said:
What if the 49ers strength of schedule was higher and they were deemed number 1 if we had the same record even though we beat them twice and they used that formula, would we all be pissed or what?

That's down to tie breakers, I don't think there's anything wrong with the way they are decided, I'm just saying I think having an 8-8 team going to play the no.2 seed whilst the no.1 seed has to play an 11 or 12 win team just seems against the whole point of having seeded teams.