3 NFL Playoff Games Face Blackout

TalontedNoseRider

Reaction score
This is just sad:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t2

The Wild Card Round of the 2013 NFL playoffs offers four intriguing matchups that should have football fans everywhere on the edge of their seats. However, hometown fans of the Cincinnati Bengals, Indianapolis Colts and—most surprisingly—the Green Bay Packers may be left in the dark unless a lot more fans attend the games in person.

According to Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com, the aforementioned teams have yet to sell out their playoff contests with the deadline set for Jan. 2 at 4:30 p.m. ET. If they are unable to sell out, then the games will be blacked out on local television.

Cincinnati, Indy & Green Bay should be chomping at the bit for tickets--disgrace to the game!

Axx

Reaction score
what a incredibly stupid policy.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Uhh... what the heck is the purpose of this policy? To ransom fans into buying tickets for the game?

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Media outlets can buy tickets and contest them away for huge advertising revenue gains. Then the hearty fans who normally can't afford to go to games get to, kids, etc. It really benefits everyone!!

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
A London Hawk":2xe0u1qx said:
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20131231/PKR01/312310254/Packers-11-000-playoff-tickets-sell-TV-blackout-looming?nclick_check=1

Non B/R link for you.
Amazing. Stunning really. It's Green freakin' Bay in the playoffs, and there's still *thousands* of tickets left?! I thought they were rabid fans with a gajillion-year waiting list for tickets? Have I missed something somewhere, lol? Have the fans there just become spoiled? Or do they just think the Niners are going to smash the Pack?

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
There's a lot of time between now and 1:30 on Thursday, but I'm surprised how many tickets are left for each of those teams. Both Green Bay and Cincinnati are smaller market teams. I guess the 12ths represented the small market teams well, selling out the divisional round tickets in less than 30 minutes according to the Seahawks.

tom sawyer":5uqcyx7v said:
Media outlets can buy tickets and contest them away for huge advertising revenue gains. Then the hearty fans who normally can't afford to go to games get to, kids, etc. It really benefits everyone!!

Totally right on this. I recall it happening this season for a primetime game, I think it was a San Diego home game.

lsheldon

Reaction score
They've been told this is the Seahawks year for so long, they now believe it. I don't blame them...

main

Reaction score
Hard to believe the Packers? It takes a lifetime to get season tickets there. They've been sold out since the 1960's. How can that be?

el capitan

Reaction score
The fact that the Packers are struggling to shift tickets is probably indicative of their fans hopes of beating the 49ers. I guess the people of Green Bay are expecting another blowout.

rsm650

Reaction score
I guess Packers season ticket holders thought that they had no chance at the playoffs with Flynn. I mean Rodgers only played last week...I don't think they will get a blackout.

lsheldon

Reaction score
One thing that is an issue for the Packers is that they just added 7,500 seats to the south end zone. That puts total capacity now at ~80,750. That puts a lot more pressure on selling out.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
This is a stupid and outdated policy. :sarcasm_on: Surprised our genius commish hasn't figured that out yet! :sarcasm_off:

main

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3s9svf66 said:
This is a stupid and outdated policy. :sarcasm_on: Surprised our genius commish hasn't figured that out yet! :sarcasm_off:
I agree. I hope they finally change this dumb rule.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
If taxpayers pay for part or all of the stadium, it should be illegal to black them out.

If owners want to black out games to entice people to buy tickets, they should have to pay for their own stadiums 100% with their own money, no public subsidies, kickbacks, tax breaks, etc.