Levi Stadium predicted to be as loud as Seattle's

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/c...vis-stadium-provide-better-viewing-experience

The biggest revelation, however, will occur at kickoff time: Even though Levi's Stadium will have about 1,000 fewer seats than Candlestick, it will be much louder. During a tour earlier this year, project co-director Robert Rayborn pointed out something that I had not even considered.

"It's going to be really loud in here," said Rayborn, who works for Turner/Devcon construction. "Really loud. Really, really loud."

Then he explained why. The stadium's design is different from most football stadiums.

The vast majority of luxury boxes are located in an eight-level tower -- essentially, a 12-story building -- on the west side of the field. That means two things: One, there are no upper decks on the west side, just the lower bowl and the tower. And two, the east side upper decks can be closer to the ground -- because it does not sit atop multiple levels of luxury boxes.

Perhaps that's a bit too architectural-geeky. But the practical ramification is this: All of those fans on the east side of the stadium (who are closer to the field than at Candlestick) will scream noise toward the field and the west side of the stadium. And when that noise hits the large flat side of the tower, the noise will immediately bounce right back toward the field.

Jed York, the 49ers CEO and stadium overseer, agrees the net effect should be a cacophony of howling.

"It should be louder than Candlestick, for the reasons you point out," York said. "I don't know how loud it will get, though." Prediction: As loud as Seattle or Kansas City

drdiags

Reaction score
That would be pretty good for the 9ers. The NFL wants all home stadiums to give the urge to folks watching on TV the desire of wanting to be there. Since it is a competition, they could have something similar to the CLink where they keep track of off sides. Will take awhile I would imagine, not long, to get the fans to buy into being loud like those crazy Canadians (Seahawks) fans. But if it helps your team, they will change how they view it.

I think players love playing in stadiums that are loud and crazy. They get pumped from it based on visitor remarks over the years. No hate from me.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Perhaps if they get enough ex-Raiders fans to make the drive, the Santa Clara team's building will get a little noisy at times. But that's not something you can really count on.

OP
OP
S

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Yeah, none of this is guaranteed. Not the fan participation, nor the architectural effect. Will know by Week 1 next season

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Good for them if it's true but as Kansas City has proven for years unless you're a winner it's irrelevant even for Seattle (Though to a lesser degree).

OrFan

Reaction score
When you have to try to teach your fans when to get loud, and when not to, and still most don't like people standing or making noise.....

Waste of money even trying.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
One day people will accept it's not some gimmicky stadium that makes Seattle so noisy.

I'm not a fan of any college team, but whenever I see Husky Stadium it's exactly the same. The damn camera shakes from all the noise.

It's just something about the fans in this part of the world. Maybe it's because they're starved of success? Whatever.

But there's no way they'd ever need a bloody cheat sheet on when to cheer at a big game.

Crizilla

Reaction score
How can someone predict this stadium will be as loud as ours? stupid. They're just hyping it up. Yea stadiums probably alter the noise a little bit but its mainly the fans.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
But Seattle has more energy and enthusiasm for their team...

OP
OP
S

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":fcv8bqed said:
One day people will accept it's not some gimmicky stadium that makes Seattle so noisy.

I'm not a fan of any college team, but whenever I see Husky Stadium it's exactly the same. The damn camera shakes from all the noise.

It's just something about the fans in this part of the world. Maybe it's because they're starved of success? Whatever.

But there's no way they'd ever need a bloody cheat sheet on when to cheer at a big game.
Um, I was at Candlestick for the Green Bay playoff game when Kap broke out. Every fan in that stadium stood the whole game and cheered as loud as they could every down when Packer's were on O. You can't say Seattle fans want it more. That's complete BS

OP
OP
S

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
OrFan":1rr62wwx said:
When you have to try to teach your fans when to get loud, and when not to, and still most don't like people standing or making noise.....

Waste of money even trying.
That was proven to be a fake email.

SF49r

Reaction score
That's just going to hurt us more, you know how our fans are always loud on offense lmao

86Hawk

Reaction score
Sorry s.f. It will not be as loud as the clink. Stadiums don't make noise. Fans screaming make noise. Keep dreaming.

SF49r

Reaction score
86Hawk":2o5rrhz8 said:
Sorry s.f. It will not be as loud as the clink. Stadiums don't make noise. Fans screaming make noise. Keep dreaming.
The fans make the noise, the stadium design amplifies it.

nategreat

Reaction score
SF49r":1srq5tjd said:
86Hawk":1srq5tjd said:
The fans make the noise, the stadium design amplifies it.

One thing it won't amplify; knife stabbings.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I don't think any of the idiots quoted in that story know much about the way sound travels. Everyone is seated below the tower so once the sound hits the tower it will bounce back while continuing upward, not downward to the field.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I thought this was unfair and Seattle is classless for being too loud. At the end of the day, this shows what it really was...JEALOUSY!

86Hawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1f2hggdv said:
I thought this was unfair and Seattle is classless for being too loud. At the end of the day, this shows what it really was...JEALOUSY!
Yes. The night before a huge playoff game against the packers they are on a seahawks board trying to convince us why their stadium and fans are better than ours.... :angry017: whiners