3 FA WR's vs Golden Tate

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Seeing as most on this board thinks Golden Tate should be our #1 offseason priority. I did some comparing of stats with 3 other Free Agent WR's who could be similarly or more productive than Tate.

Of these 4 WR's I can see Decker getting the biggest contract probaby 8-10Mil per year, then Tate $5-7mil, then Maclin $5-7mil, then Jones $3-5Mil. My argument here is would it be worth it to spend 2-3 Million more a year on a WR like Decker who brings size and a huge threat in the red zone and would compliment Harvin's skillset. Or for a similar price probably even less money sign take a gamble that Maclin can return to form and upgrade our WR corps. Or go full savings and sign Jones who would provide similar production for much less but is older. Is Tate our best option? If he is I think we still have to invest a 1st or 2nd round pick in 6'2+ WR.

Golden Tate 5'10" 202lbs 25yo
2010- 21 REC 227 YDS 0 TDS
2011- 35 REC 382 YDS 3 TDS
2012- 45 REC 688 YDS 7 TDS
2013- 64 REC 898 YDS 5 TDS

Jeremy Maclin 6'0 198lbs 25yo
2010- 70 REC 964 YDS 10 TDS
2011- 63 REC 859 YDS 5 TDS
2012- 69 REC 857 YDS 7 TDS
2013- Torn ACL in preseason

Eric Decker 6'3 214lbs 26yo
2010- 6 REC 106 YDS 1 TDS
2011- 44 REC 612 YDS 8 TDS
2012- 85 REC 1064 YDS 13 TDS
2013- 87 REC 1288 YDS 11 TDS

James Jones 6'1 208lbs 29yo
2010- 50 REC 679 YDS 5 TDS
2011- 38 REC 635 YDS 7 TDS
2012- 64 REC 784 YDS 14 TDS
2013- 59 REC 817 YDS 3 TDS

getnasty

Reaction score
For our team Golden Tate makes more sense then Decker in my opinion.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Add Tate's return yardage to the equation and he is the superior weapon. It would be great to have a Decker type but they can be had much cheaper than Decker, who's numbers doubled with the arrival of Manning. We could practically use Willson in a similar role.

We will remain a run first team and Pete would likely prefer to throw no more than 20 x per contest. Harvin, Baldwin, TATE, Kearse, Miller, Willson, McCoy / ASJ (!), Lynch, Michael (?)...that's 10 targets just right there. Only so many balls to go around and if Harvin can be depended on, I'd like to draft ASJ and call it all good. Just my opinion, of course.

drrew

Reaction score
Watch out for Jacksonville to offer Tate more than we're willing to pay. Tate would be a huge upgrade to their offense across from Cecil Shorts, I'd expect Bradley to know Tate has more value than his number might suggest, and Jacksonville has cap room.

I don't want to lose either, but if we have to lose a WR, I'd hope it'd be Doug Baldwin to Jacksonville. He's from North Florida which may be a draw for him, and his production would be much easier to replace. Tate is just such a unique talent, we'd be forced to invest a 1st round pick to try and replace him.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. Pairing Tate with a healthy Harvin would be maddening for defenses. Especially once the line gets resolved and we can let our TEs run. Love Doug, but Kearse is too cheap to let go. As you suggest, it may be a moot point. IF a Jax offers Tate 8+, we have to let him walk, IMO. And I would be much more disappointed than surprised should that happen.

washmont

Reaction score
I'd say resign Tate, let Rice go and get Decker, draft ASJ as the future replacement for Miller

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
Decker would come at a steep price. He'd be the second coming of Sidney Rice, overpaid and underperforming. Which would describe Percy thus far too.

DrDix

Reaction score
Watch his one handed TD catch against the Falcons again. Dude is crazy talented. He can and does make all types of catches and is extremely clutch. Tate is also a threat on punt returns, screens. Having him and Harvin as the top two threats is just mind boggling. They're both so similar in what they can do. Hard to stop. Golden is gold.

The Outfield

Reaction score
washmont":27co9hw1 said:
I'd say resign Tate, let Rice go and get Decker, draft ASJ as the future replacement for Miller

Re-sign you mean?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawkWow":1mru3qu2 said:
Couldn't agree more. Pairing Tate with a healthy Harvin would be maddening for defenses. Especially once the line gets resolved and we can let our TEs run. Love Doug, but Kearse is too cheap to let go. As you suggest, it may be a moot point. IF a Jax offers Tate 8+, we have to let him walk, IMO. And I would be much more disappointed than surprised should that happen.
If they pay Tate 8 million, let him walk and draft somebody. Not even Jacksonville is that stupid so I think the entire premise is invalid but whatever.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Decker is going to get 6/60 - 6/70, so no way we could fit him in even if we wanted to. Would you rather have Decker or Bennett?

I would pay 5/30 for Tate before I got nervous about the budget. He's worth it to me. The thing about Jax is that they have Blackmon, Sanders, and Shorts. I think that they are more likely to try and pay Bennett than Tate.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
i'd pay Bennett over Tate but I'd like to keep Tate around, a 5/30 seems perfect to me. Danny Amendola and Brian Hartline both are good #2 WR's and received 5y/31mil deals. I could see Tate take a 5/35 from Jax or someone else I'm hoping his relationship with Wilson gives us a small discount.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Bennett must stay.

I want Tate back too.

Maybe add Nicks to this list if he can be brought in cheap? He was really bad this year though.

getnasty

Reaction score
Sign Tate, Baldwin, get Percy healthy then draft a WR with size. Our WR core is really good if Percy can stay healthy. I realize that hasn't been the case yet, but keep in mind were still 13-3.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Isn't Riley Cooper a FA too? I would take him over Decker at half price. He also seems pretty well liked by his Eagles teammates, which says a lot after the controversy earlier this year.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Yuck @ Cooper, I realize he has some talent but this year Seattle should draft a couple WR, this draft is pretty stacked I think for WRs.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
getnasty":2c9q7t8k said:
Sign Tate, Baldwin, get Percy healthy then draft a WR with size. Our WR core is really good if Percy can stay healthy. I realize that hasn't been the case yet, but keep in mind were still 13-3.
That's my thinking plus Bennett. Bennett is a priority even over Tate.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":2ehmh4rg said:
Isn't Riley Cooper a FA too? I would take him over Decker at half price. He also seems pretty well liked by his Eagles teammates, which says a lot after the controversy earlier this year.

Cooper told them he was "very, very, very sorry". Damn I wish I had a 10 spot for every time he used the word "very" during those weeks. LOL. The whole thing was absolute BS that should never had been a story. I like your substitution for the (likely) over-priced Decker. Cooper would be a great complement to our corps.

Latest posts