penalties leveling out

bryantology79

Reaction score
the loose officiating was only for wildcard weekend...

from pat kirwan's article today:

5: Penalties back in order

Compared to the regular season, the average number of penalties was cut in half over the four first-round games as compared to the regular season. During the 17-week schedule, NFL games averaged 14 penalties a game. The first round of the playoffs saw the average penalties called drop to 7.7 per game in what appeared to be a let-them-play attitude.

The league warned teams that postseason games would be called just like regular-season games, indicating that the divisional games likely would go right back to 14 penalties per contest.

A few coaches told me they were aware of the relaxed attitude toward throwing the flag in wild-card games, but were reluctant to tell their players it was a postseason trend. Good idea, because two divisional games hit 14 penalties right on the head and the four games averaged 12.2 penalties per game.

No game was more strange than the AFC game at Denver, with five neutral-zone infractions by five different Chargers. Teams averaged 10 of those calls over a 16-game regular-season schedule, and the Chargers were only called for it 10 times all season. Rest assured that the Patriots will look very closely at those five calls to see if Peyton Manning's hard count or sudden movements were drawing the players over the line of scrimmage. The Patriots were only called for defensive off-sides three times during the regular season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat ... -on-ground

mikeak

Reaction score
Here is what is going to be funny about this. If NE finds anything on film indicating head-nods etc etc then you know they will use the media to tell everyone about it to make sure the refs are looking at it.

You know the same media that both coach and qb basically dismisses for any other reason than when they want to use them. They go to pressconferences and answers question with yes / no........

If NE tries to use the media then I would love it if the media just ignored them. Give them some payback

With that said. One of those infractions was a Chargers player getting into the neutral zone and the offensive player jumped up to point to him. This caused the refs to whistle and call the Chargers guy.

MY understanding of the rules is that the defensive player has to basically pull the offensive guy. He has to encroach and make the defensive guy react not jump up and point at him but flinch etc. I saw this in one game where the offensive lineman jumped up after the fact and then got the false start......