Julius Peppers possilbe cap casualty target?

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
He's definitely long in the tooth but I bet he wants to win a superbowl becuase he's been to the big show and lost. Heard he would have to restructure or be a cap casualty this off season. I doubt he restructers for a Bears team that does'nt appear close to winning a superbowl. I think he's making like 18 mill this year or somthing close to that. If he's cut wonder if he takes the cheap deal to play on a potentially legendary defense with the chance to contribute to a winning superbowl team.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
No thanks. He's done. Would rather cut Clemons and bring him back cheap.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
This really should be in the NFL forum. We don't need every possible NFL player who may come to Seattle to have it's own thread :p.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Considering all the Bears fans want to cut Peppers and sign Michael Bennett...lets just re-sign Bennett

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":7kmzstda said:
He's definitely long in the tooth but I bet he wants to win a superbowl becuase he's been to the big show and lost. Heard he would have to restructure or be a cap casualty this off season. I doubt he restructers for a Bears team that does'nt appear close to winning a superbowl. I think he's making like 18 mill this year or somthing close to that. If he's cut wonder if he takes the cheap deal to play on a potentially legendary defense with the chance to contribute to a winning superbowl team.
It should be clear to all by now that this regime has no desire to acquire twilight players well on the wrong side of 30 to occupy backup positions that could otherwise be invested in better, younger and/or developmental prospects for the future (see: Mayowa, Benson). The closest they came to that was Antoine Winfield, but that was for a specific role as a nickel/slot corner which he excelled at previously (including in 2012 when he graded out as PFF's #1 CB)....and even he didn't make the team. The last thing they're going to do is turn our roster into a depository for lifetime achievers to come and get a free Super Bowl ring on their way out the NFL door.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Sure he's not a every down player anymore but put him in the Seahawks rotation and he would do damage. Name me one other Chicago D-lineman not named Henry Melton becuase he was injured most of the season. So Peppers never had much help and he's older but put him in Seattle's rotation for 20 snaps and he could do what he used to do. I would rather have Jared Allen but Peppers could be another alternative.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I don't want old (team cancer) players..Peppers whines a lot here..Granted Bears suck but I'd rather have young and hungry BOOM team players...

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":2goqtqhs said:
Sure he's not a every down player anymore but put him in the Seahawks rotation and he would do damage. Name me one other Chicago D-lineman not named Henry Melton becuase he was injured most of the season. So Peppers never had much help and he's older but put him in Seattle's rotation for 20 snaps and he could do what he used to do. I would rather have Jared Allen but Peppers could be another alternative.

Why are you desperate to pick up over-the-hill big names?

You know who I want in free agency?

NO ONE.

I don't want the Hawks looking any further than the VMAC for the free agents they need to sign.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":trhgn2zk said:
It's not a matter of if he can be effective, it's a matter of having players who can not only be effective, but who also have a future. Peppers barely has the former, and has none of the latter. That's not how Pete and John are managing this roster/program.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Competition is always a good thing if they can't hang they won't be on the TEAM thats for sure. Pete Carroll don't mess around the best players play and the competition elevates everyones game. So i don't see where bringing in a ring hungry veteran on a young team that just won their first superbowl is a bad thing. I don't think Seattle can afford to be complacent they need to improve because they are now public enemy number 1 in the NFL. St. louis has the draft(2,1st rounders) and I expect big moves from San Fran and Arizona in free agency so Seattle has to do a little more than signing or re-signing Earl thomas, Golden Tate, and Michael Bennett. Draft for offense, a key free agent on D-line(Allen or Peppers), and seattle should be good to make another run at a superbowl next year.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
We wouldn't have the cap room to sign him this year. If it came down to re-signing Bennett and giving Thomas and/or Sherman extensions or signing Peppers...I think most of us would end up on the same side of that debate.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
This team isn't about signing a possibly expired free agent unless they are still playing at the highest level. Clearly peppers is not.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":3sdw1gu8 said:
Competition is always a good thing if they can't hang they won't be on the TEAM thats for sure. Pete Carroll don't mess around the best players play and the competition elevates everyones game. So i don't see where bringing in a ring hungry veteran on a young team that just won their first superbowl is a bad thing. I don't think Seattle can afford to be complacent they need to improve because they are now public enemy number 1 in the NFL. St. louis has the draft(2,1st rounders) and I expect big moves from San Fran and Arizona in free agency so Seattle has to do a little more than signing or re-signing Earl thomas, Golden Tate, and Michael Bennett. Draft for offense, a key free agent on D-line(Allen or Peppers), and seattle should be good to make another run at a superbowl next year.

Seattle was enemy number 1 for much of the NFL this past year. Remember when every talking head was penciling the Seahawks in for the SB?

Yeah, and look what they went out and did.

We don't need key free agents on D other than our own. And we sure as hell don't need aged vets when we can draft a rookie for a fraction of the cost to give us the same level of competition.

Bringing in that ring hungry veteran takes opportunities away from the developing 1st and 2nd year guys, and it impacts the cap more than those young guys. Plus, in free agency, you're paying for past performance instead of potential. Don't pay some guy because of what he did for some other team. Reward your own vets and draft replacements.