biggest roadblock to a rePete?

hoxrox

Reaction score
49ers may be one of our biggest speed bumps to the SB next year, but I like our chances. They had their best chance this year and now their window is getting smaller.

Turnover-prone Kaepernick will have to get paid. Whitner, who is overrated by their fan base, may not return. Boldin, their toughest receiver, may not return. Crabtree and Davis are still having nightmares about Kam. They have no deep or speed threat that could stretch the field.

Gore is another year slower. Who knows if Lattimore will play?

Willis and Justin Smith are also another year slower. Respect them, but they are not the same players they once were.

Their secondary can be passed on as we saw in that Atlanta playoff game, even without Julio Jones. Rodgers is slow. Cox was picked up off the bottom of our depth chart.

Iupati and their best defender in Bowman may not even start the season.

Will Baalke scout and draft first-year impact players to replenish their ranks? Maybe, but I like our chances with Schneider and McCloughan better.

Will free agents flock to their team to play for a coach like Harbaugh? Or given a choice, would FAs rather play for Pete Carroll? The anonymous player poll already showed that Carroll won by a landslide. Now that he has SuperBowl credentials, we will attract even more free agents.

They still couldn’t stop Marshawn despite saying that was their #1 goal in the NFC game. How will they stop Percy?

Many of their fans, and talking heads like Stephen A and Bayless still maintain they are the better team on a neutral field.

I just don’t see that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hoxrox":1953jzll said:
49ers may be one of our biggest speed bumps to the SB next year, but I like our chances. They had their best chance this year and now their window is getting smaller.

Turnover-prone Kaepernick will have to get paid. Whitner, who is overrated by their fan base, may not return. Boldin, their toughest receiver, may not return. Crabtree and Davis are still having nightmares about Kam. They have no deep or speed threat that could stretch the field.

Gore is another year slower. Who knows if Lattimore will play?

Willis and Justin Smith are also another year slower. Respect them, but they are not the same players they once were.

Their secondary can be passed on as we saw in that Atlanta playoff game, even without Julio Jones. Rodgers is slow. Cox was picked up off the bottom of our depth chart.

Iupati and their best defender in Bowman may not even start the season.

Will Baalke scout and draft first-year impact players to replenish their ranks? Maybe, but I like our chances with Schneider and McCloughan better.

Will free agents flock to their team to play for a coach like Harbaugh? Or given a choice, would FAs rather play for Pete Carroll? The anonymous player poll already showed that Carroll won by a landslide. Now that he has SuperBowl credentials, we will attract even more free agents.

They still couldn’t stop Marshawn despite saying that was their #1 goal in the NFC game. How will they stop Percy?

Many of their fans, and talking heads like Stephen A and Bayless still maintain they are the better team on a neutral field.

I just don’t see that.

Since this is mostly niner related, just figured I'd respond. You aren't entirely incorrect. Mostly clarification.

1) Kap likely won't get paid till next year. If they keep him at current number and then franchise him next year, he'll likely still be cheaper over 2 years. It also gives them another year to be sure.

2) I've never been a big fan of Whitner and I was saying that in this forum before the season started. He actually probably had his best year in SF tho paired up with the rookie. Losing him might hurt because he is a physical presence back there and great against the run, but they won't miss him in coverage (funny....seems I said the exact same thing about Goldson).

3) I think Boldin will return. Both parties seem to want it to happen, but we'll see.

4) Crabtree and Davis nightmares...I'll just leave it alone. :D

5) Gore isn't going anywhere, but they certainly need to work youth into that position. Lattimore, Hunter, James, and probably a rookie. I'm actually not all that worried about replacing Gore as a runner. I'm more concerned with replacing him as a pass blocker.

6) Willis is just fine...just had injuries this year. Justin is getting older for sure but they've been working to replace him for a few years now. Glenn Dorsey is a part of that solution (Ian Williams was supposed to start at NT before he broke his ankle in week 2) as was the drafting of Tank Carradine. We'll just have to see if any of the replacements can be anything close to what he has been.

7) Their secondary will be different. Can't guarantee better, but certainly different. Reid will have a year of experience. Rogers is likely a cap casualty. They resigned Tramaine Brock during the year because he was playing very well. He's likely a starter next year. They also get Chris Culliver back who was out all year with a torn ACL in camp. He was probably their best CB in 2012 (tho most people remember him as the guy who should never have opened his trap in SB week). We don't yet know who the SS will be and CB is probably a position they invest heavily in on draft day.

8) Cox was picked up off the bottom of your depth chart, but he was first on the bottom of the 49ers depth chart. The 49ers released him before he signed in Seattle...and then was released and brought back to SF. The main reason they brought him back was that Rogers got hurt and Cox already knew the system.

9) Iupati WILL start the season. Its a broken bone. It will be 100% healed. Bowman is another story.

10) How will Baalke do? He'll have ALOT more chances to get it right than the Seahawks will. The 49ers own 11 picks overall and 5 in the first 3 rounds. They will likely end up with an additional 3rd when they get comped for the loss of Goldson giving them 12 overall and 6 in the first 3 rounds. If I understand correctly, I believe the Seahawks will have 2 picks in the first 3 rounds. We can argue all day over whos better (and I have alot of respect both for Schneider and McCoughan) but I'd say the Niners are in better shape here simply because of their firepower in the draft. They will also have more needs and holes to fill...so it works both ways.

11) Free Agents? To be honest, I don't think it'll matter all that much. Neither team will be looking at big name, big money, impact free agents. Both teams will be looking to lock up their own players and look for value in Free Agency. The Niners haven't had too much trouble in this regard and I don't see them suddenly having any now.

12) Marshawn is a Niner killer. Won't even try to argue. Percy? We'll see.

13) I really don't buy into the neutral field thing. Would the Nniers have won if the NFCCG were at Candlestick? Maybe. No way to know so not really worth talking about. All we do know is that the Seahawks won the Division, the Conference, and the league title. They are a better team until someone proves otherwise.

Here's the thing...you really never know what's going to happen from year to year. I thought the Falcons were way overrated but who saw them falling like they did this season? I sure didn't. If they stay healthy and get a few good draft picks the niners could be set for a run next year. At the same time if they don't hit on any picks and lose a few of the wrong players early they may not even make the playoffs.

If I were in your guys shoes I'd feel confident too. There will be more transition in SF than there will be in Seattle. We'll just have to see if they get better, worse, or stay the same. Everyone thought losing Goldson would be a huge loss. Instead they got a younger, cheaper, BETTER player in Eric Reid.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Marvin49":25na27b9 said:
The 49ers own 11 picks overall and 5 in the first 3 rounds. They will likely end up with an additional 3rd when they get comped for the loss of Goldson giving them 12 overall and 6 in the first 3 rounds.

This is what I am going to be watching closely to see how 49ers draft this year. They have bunch of picks this year and it's a pretty good year to draft a WR or two. Looking forward to see how 49ers do in the draft.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":23zr4uai said:
Marvin49":23zr4uai said:
The 49ers own 11 picks overall and 5 in the first 3 rounds. They will likely end up with an additional 3rd when they get comped for the loss of Goldson giving them 12 overall and 6 in the first 3 rounds.

This is what I am going to be watching closely to see how 49ers draft this year. They have bunch of picks this year and it's a pretty good year to draft a WR or two. Looking forward to see how 49ers do in the draft.

My guess is they go heavy with DBs early and wait on a WR. Who knows...maybe they try to replicate the team that eliminated them and take McGill and Jean-Baptiste. Both 6'3" Corners. :D Who knows. With Harvin and Austin in the division it might not be a good idea to bank on bigger corners like that.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Marvin49":20mh180s said:
My guess is they go heavy with DBs early and wait on a WR. Who knows...maybe they try to replicate the team that eliminated them and take McGill and Jean-Baptiste. Both 6'3" Corners. :D Who knows. With Harvin and Austin in the division it might not be a good idea to bank on bigger corners like that.

Makes sense but the number of picks they have, they can pretty much do anything to cover a lot of their needs. Key will be to get guys who can play & compete in the NFCW and not draft guys like AJ Jenkins.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
SF's needs are WR, OG, CB, and SS, right?

Speaking of, the NFCW is our biggest roadblock because we have what will probably end up being four legit playoff teams in the division, and only three at most can make it in.

ARZ's needs are: C, OT, QB, S

STL's needs are: QB, OT, OG, S, maybe DT. Am I right about this?

The worst possible thing to happen would be Johnny Football falling to ARZ in the early 20s. THE WORST. The second-worst thing would be Les Snead being smart enough to ditch Bradford and take Manziel or Bridgewater. This division would become a total bloodbath.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":3chz7j89 said:
Marvin49":3chz7j89 said:

Makes sense but the number of picks they have, they can pretty much do anything to cover a lot of their needs. Key will be to get guys who can play & compete in the NFCW and not draft guys like AJ Jenkins.

Ouch. Truth hurts. :)

They have been acumulating additional picks for 2 years now because they didn't have a number of holes to fill. One of the reasons the 2012 draft hasn't really helped tham (aside from the AJ Jenkins pick) was that they traded a number of their picks into 2013. They only had 3 picks in the first 4 rounds. They traded a few more into 2014 last year.

I think this may be the year they make all those picks. DBs, WRs, DE/DTs, a RB, and maybe even a big guard in case Iupati leaves next year (although they seem to like Luke Marquardt whome they signed as an UFA last year and redshirted).

My current draft crushes are S Deone Bucannon, CB Keith McGill, CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste, and RB Andre Williams. That last one reminds me of Roger Craig (just the run style...he isn't the receiver or the blocker Roger was by any stretch). I'm about 100% certain that's not who they'll pick, but those are the guys I've been looking at.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1euhbsyy said:
SF's needs are WR, OG, CB, and SS, right?

Speaking of, the NFCW is our biggest roadblock because we have what will probably end up being four legit playoff teams in the division, and only three at most can make it in.

ARZ's needs are: C, OT, QB, S

STL's needs are: QB, OT, OG, S, maybe DT. Am I right about this?

The worst possible thing to happen would be Johnny Football falling to ARZ in the early 20s. THE WORST. The second-worst thing would be Les Snead being smart enough to ditch Bradford and take Manziel or Bridgewater. This division would become a total bloodbath.

I'd probably order the needs differently, but I'd say that's accurate.

Agreed on the other two...I won't be afraid of either of those teams till they have different QBs. I like Palmer, but I just can't see him staying healthy all year again behind that line. Bradford is another Alex Smith. He'll be solid but you will never get to where you need to be with him.

lucky49

Reaction score
"Turnover-prone kaepernick" threw 8 interceptions in 2013 and russel threw 9 just btw. Also I have total faith in lattimore and while Frank Gore is pretty old, Lynch isn't getting any younger either

Marvin49

Reaction score
lucky49":dai4h0kg said:
"Turnover-prone kaepernick" threw 8 interceptions in 2013 and russel threw 9 just btw. Also I have total faith in lattimore and while Frank Gore is pretty old, Lynch isn't getting any younger either

Well...

...and I hate to argue with a fellow 49er fan....

1) Kaepernick threw 11 INTs this year (including playoffs), but SIX of them came against the Seahawks in only 3 games. He also fumbled quite a bit against them. Can't really blame them for thinking that.

2) Lets be real on Lattimore...I hope he can make it all the way back and I really like the kid, but there is no guarantee he would be a great back if he had never been injured. We'll just have to see.

3) Lynch is 3 or 4 years younger than Gore...although I do wonder how long he can last with that "contact" running style.

Largent80

Reaction score
It is not the 9ers, or any other team but the Seahawks.

We need to take care of business. 9ers did it last year after appearing in the SB.

They did have that draft where they got 2 first round O-linemen, and that is a built to last type of thing.

For us to be the same or better we just need our F.O. to keep doing what they have done.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't think there is any need to diminish the Niners to feel good about our chances next year. A lot of Hawk fans on this board spent most of last year arguing why they were going to miss the playoffs, and they came within a play of going to the SB. They are a good team with a great offensive line, a very dangerous quarterback, and much like us, they red shirted some good prospects last year.

lucky49

Reaction score
Marvin49":1sh52hqf said:
lucky49":1sh52hqf said:

Well...

1) Kaepernick threw 11 INTs this year (including playoffs), but SIX of them came against the Seahawks in only 3 games. He also fumbled quite a bit against them. Can't really blame them for thinking that.

2) Lets be real on Lattimore...I hope he can make it all the way back and I really like the kid, but there is no guarantee he would be a great back if he had never been injured. We'll just have to see.

3) Lynch is 3 or 4 years younger than Gore...although I do wonder how long he can last with that "contact" running style.

1)i wasnt including playoffs. i guess it makes sense that they would think that since our games against them are likely the only niner games they watch

2)im talking blind faith man you need some for once

3) He's great at staying up, which also means he takes more hits than anyone. He's like 28 (i think?), which is younger than Gore but still kinda up there for an RB. Gore, just for examples sake, is still good, but got noticeably slower around that age.

I think both teams will still look pretty similar next year and whoever wins the first matchup will probably win the division.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":30m1qkf9 said:
I don't think there is any need to diminish the Niners to feel good about our chances next year. A lot of Hawk fans on this board spent most of last year arguing why they were going to miss the playoffs, and they came within a play of going to the SB. They are a good team with a great offensive line, a very dangerous quarterback, and much like us, they red shirted some good prospects last year.

Lattimore, Carradine, and Marquardt come to mind.

Out of curiosity, who did Seattle redshirt? Christine Michael? Jesse Williams? Any others?

Marvin49

Reaction score
lucky49":2wa3hh9j said:
Marvin49":2wa3hh9j said:
lucky49":2wa3hh9j said:

Well...

1)i wasnt including playoffs. i guess it makes sense that they would think that since our games against them are likely the only niner games they watch

2)im talking blind faith man you need some for once

3) He's great at staying up, which also means he takes more hits than anyone. He's like 28 (i think?), which is younger than Gore but still kinda up there for an RB. Gore, just for examples sake, is still good, but got noticeably slower around that age.

I think both teams will still look pretty similar next year and whoever wins the first matchup will probably win the division.

On Lattimore...don't get me wrong...I like the guy and I'm hoping for big things, but at this point I think we need to look at him as a potential bonus, not a guy we can look at and depend on him being THE guy.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Marvin49":k2h3xnzc said:
Scottemojo":k2h3xnzc said:

Out of curiosity, who did Seattle redshirt? Christine Michael? Jesse Williams? Any others?

Bailey and Bowie played a little, out of need, the two you mentioned, Hill, Scruggs, Shead (who we are really high on) are also guys who either played a little or were PUP then IR.

I really thing Lemonier might have a chance with you guys too. He played a little. Loved him out of college.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3baya7o0 said:
Marvin49":3baya7o0 said:
Scottemojo":3baya7o0 said:

Bailey and Bowie played a little, out of need, the two you mentioned, Hill, Scruggs, Shead (who we are really high on) are also guys who either played a little or were PUP then IR.

I really thing Lemonier might have a chance with you guys too. He played a little. Loved him out of college.

Yeah he looked good in limited time. He wasn't really stout against the run yet so shared time with Dan Skuta while Aldon was out.

Just mentioned the top 3 because they didn't play at all...all were injured in college.

Lemonier looked good as did Patton tho he was injured most of the year.

Almost feels like we get two draft classes this year with all those guys coming back. Quinton Dial as well.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I think the Niners are in good shape. Lots of young talent waiting for a shot, as has been mentioned. One or two of those young RB's will begin to emerge next year. Their offensive line is killer, and largely young.

The challenge will be replacing Justin Smith when he slows down. He's one of the best pure football players I've ever seen.

Some more talent in the secondary wouldn't hurt. I expect they'll address that in the draft and FA.

OP
OP
hoxrox

hoxrox

Reaction score
Marvin49":anz6oxl0 said:
10) How will Baalke do? He'll have ALOT more chances to get it right than the Seahawks will. The 49ers own 11 picks overall and 5 in the first 3 rounds. They will likely end up with an additional 3rd when they get comped for the loss of Goldson giving them 12 overall and 6 in the first 3 rounds. If I understand correctly, I believe the Seahawks will have 2 picks in the first 3 rounds. We can argue all day over whos better (and I have alot of respect both for Schneider and McCoughan) but I'd say the Niners are in better shape here simply because of their firepower in the draft. They will also have more needs and holes to fill...so it works both ways.

Here's the thing...you really never know what's going to happen from year to year. I thought the Falcons were way overrated but who saw them falling like they did this season? I sure didn't. If they stay healthy and get a few good draft picks the niners could be set for a run next year. At the same time if they don't hit on any picks and lose a few of the wrong players early they may not even make the playoffs.

Ok that changes my view a little bit. I wasn't aware you guys had that many picks in the first 3 rounds. To win the division next year, imo, those picks will need to be starting impact players, particularly at the WR and CB positions. RB is also a big question. As good as your oline is, you still couldn't run the ball on us.