Dion Jordan likely not a starter in 2014

kearly

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ns-starter

He struggled to stay on the field in part because of his strength, which could be an ongoing issue. The Miami Herald wrote Sunday that Jordan doesn't project as a 2014 starter.

"When we drafted Jordan, nobody expected Olivier Vernon to develop like he did," a Dolphins source told the newspaper. "My concern is (Jordan) will have struggles playing against bigger tackles. If you play him at linebacker, he has far more range and speed and explosiveness than (Koa) Misi. But Koa is more consistent and steady. Jordan gives you great flexibility because he can cover and rush the passer. This is a huge offseason for him."

The most discouraging part of Jordan's rookie season: He never earned more playing time. He was on the field for 35 snaps in the final two games combined, accounting for just 23 percent of the team's total defensive snaps.

The #3 pick in 2013, Jordan had a very tough rookie season which resulted in just two sacks but also revealed some big flaws in his game against the run.

Personally, I've always seen Jordan as the ideal SAM LB in a Pete Carroll type of 4-3 defense, but not a true 4-3 DE. Not that I am rooting for Jordan to struggle in Miami, but I do think that if he ever ends up being released in the next couple years (big cap hit), he could be worth keeping an eye on as I think Carroll could probably find a use for him.

drdiags

Reaction score
Seems like a bad match. Sounds like the former GM didn't work with his coaches on drafting a guy they could work with. This sounds like the type of situation that lends itself to the player getting caught using PEDs because he knows the coaches want him to bulk up and it isn't in his body type to be the player they want.

seadoc30

Reaction score
SSeriously, I don't know how some GMs have jobs at such a level. I could tell all the way in my house through a TV, that this guy isn't a first round worthy guy, let alone top 5. SMH.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It always felt like the Dolphins reached for this kid because he seemed like Jason Taylor to them.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Thank goodness for the new CBA or this kid would have a contract worth over $50 million.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Jordan was never that great at Oregon which is why I didn't like the pick at 3, the upside is
So high though it may just take time for him to come into his own

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
The top end of the draft was pretty weak compared to years prior. It's just funny that they traded up for him and can't find an effective way to use him albeit only giving up an extra 3rd for ten spots up.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
So I don't watch a ton of tape or anything like that but the guy from the 2013 draft class I thought best fit the Seahawks was Jordan. He is fast enough to cover receivers and I remember him doing some of that in college. If Miami has given up on him to a certain extent I would love to bring him in relatively cheap. He looks to me like a perfect fit for the seahawks to me.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
kearly":34al7fq0 said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000324677/article/dion-jordan-not-projecting-as-miami-dolphins-starter

He struggled to stay on the field in part because of his strength, which could be an ongoing issue. The Miami Herald wrote Sunday that Jordan doesn't project as a 2014 starter.

"When we drafted Jordan, nobody expected Olivier Vernon to develop like he did," a Dolphins source told the newspaper. "My concern is (Jordan) will have struggles playing against bigger tackles. If you play him at linebacker, he has far more range and speed and explosiveness than (Koa) Misi. But Koa is more consistent and steady. Jordan gives you great flexibility because he can cover and rush the passer. This is a huge offseason for him."

The most discouraging part of Jordan's rookie season: He never earned more playing time. He was on the field for 35 snaps in the final two games combined, accounting for just 23 percent of the team's total defensive snaps.

The #3 pick in 2013, Jordan had a very tough rookie season which resulted in just two sacks but also revealed some big flaws in his game against the run.

Personally, I've always seen Jordan as the ideal SAM LB in a Pete Carroll type of 4-3 defense, but not a true 4-3 DE. Not that I am rooting for Jordan to struggle in Miami, but I do think that if he ever ends up being released in the next couple years (big cap hit), he could be worth keeping an eye on as I think Carroll could probably find a use for him.

I agree, I think his unique skill set could be awesome in this defense, he just needs to find a role and a traditional defense maybe not tailored for him well enough. Perhaps 3rd and long rusher, and rotational wide 9 edge rusher along with Sam baker on passing downs.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Just painful. I wondered how it would work out because of his size. Disappointing year for a guy they traded up to get and was the third pick. Ouch.

kigenzun

Reaction score
I knew he was bust city from a mile away. First off the bus, looks the part, totally cut, great measurables, etc. etc.
...just little or no actual football awareness and can't actually play at a high level in the NFL.

A terrible terrible pick at #3 overall. He reminds me of our terrible pick at #4 overall.
I wonder if JSPC can pick him up for a 7th two years from now, and miraculously resurrect his career. But I doubt it...