How long before the 49ers let go of Jim Harbaugh?

korboko

Reaction score
Three years going to the NFC Championship Game, and one Super Bowl appearance yet they're still on the "Quest For Six". What happens if they go back to NFCCG next season and lose again? They're starting to look like the Philadelphia Eagles of the early 2000's. I'm pretty sure if the 49ers fail to make it to the playoffs next year, there is going to be some complaints down in San Francisco. They are expecting to win Super Bowls with this team.

If they don't win the Super Bowl next year, I don't think Harbaugh will be the 49ers coach for 2015.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
lol.... are you trolling? Getting to 3 straight NFC championships is fantastic any way you slice it. Short of a monumental collapse there is 0% Harbs is not the coach in 2015, and thats from someone who pretty much hates him as a person

The Radish

Reaction score
Perhaps this is on the heels of the word that Harbaugh almost left for cleveland after losing the NFC Championship game to,,,,,,who was that now? :D

Perhaps even tho he has had great success with them his antics are not suiting the "superior" ninnir organization?

Or perhaps he was considering a try at taking over a completely dead team and rebuilding rather than having his work pretty well done for him. Than suddenly waking up and realizing what a stupid idea that is.

And not make the playoffs next season? What are you smokin? I think again the ninnirs and the Seahawks will both go to the playoffs next season in what ever order.

:141847_bnono:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think it's entirely possible Harbaugh is gone in three years when his contract is up, regardless of what happens over the next two. The holdup right now is contract. Part of this IMO is that the Yorks aren't Paul Allen, who has f.u. money in the billions. It's not that they're cash poor -- far from it -- but just that the Yorks have family money, unlike Paul Allen who has his own McDuck tower (e.g. Allen's net worth is around 15 billion, Jed's is around 100 million) I'm guessing with the cash influx of the new stadium (projected to be +100 million per season) Jed will be resigning Harbaugh next off-season, a year before his deal is done. The York-Debartolo family isn't relying on the team for income (by a LOOOONG shot) but from John York's tenure I find it very doubtful that he would be opening up the purse strings and taking a loss every year.*

*John York is rightly blamed for the 49ers lost decade, as he was solely motivated in running the team as a business venture rather than a professional sports team. His first move after he took over ownership was to cut Christmas bonuses for secretaries and support staff, he just let Candlestick rot, the 9ers string of coaching ineptitude coincided with the 9ers rotating through signing some of the lowest paid coaches in the league, something that only changed right after Jed took over and signed Harbaugh.

Throwdown

Reaction score
49ers would be stupid as all hell to let Harbaugh walk without fighting tooth and nail to keep him there, dude is a genius... weird, but a genius.

But in my biased opinion, something is rotten down there in the bay, there's no reason why the 49ers after 3 great years and one of those a Super Bowl appearance should be even thinking of letting Harbaugh go to another team unless there's something that just doesn't look fixable between Harbaugh and the FO down there.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think he is gone after the 2014 season. Look at his abrasive personality, and nomadic coaching history as huge factors. I love beating the guy and love watching his epic sideline meltdowns, but will enjoy watching that fanbase in crash and burn mode.

chris98251

Reaction score
New artical on PFT saying workplace and office are high tension and stress with Jimmie there, he is high maintenance also. When you have to put that much energy into someone it doesn't last long, regardless and I posted this in two other places.

One if they don't extend him he feels insulted and becomes a bigger problem, may be off camera and behind closed doors but it will be there. You then have a successful team playing for a coach with lame duck status so to speak on him. Not hard to see where that can go.

Two, you extend him, he may want more control, the other front office people will be taking a back seat to a large part to him, based on tensions already that could lead to others leaving and looking to get out. You break what was working for one persons ego.

All this will fester to a blow up of some sort.

Again I see Dallas and Jerry looking at this and saying GOOD GOOOOOOD.

I say probably gone after this season.

The Radish

Reaction score
Perhaps this is like the battle between The Chicago Bulls GM Jerry Krause and coach Phil Jackson during their glory years.

Krause always thought, and said, he felt their 8 years domination of the NBA was directly atrributle to his drafting & trading rather than Jackson's coaching. You could tell he had his feelings hurt because he didn't get to share much of the spotlight with the team and players. During this same time Phil Jackson did a strange thing for him,,,he kept his mouth shut about it and let the players get the spotlight.

Tho this never blew up much in the media it was one of the reasons Jackson left the Bulls and moved on. Something Krause never has seemed to do. His stance was proven big time wrong when the Bulls fell to mediocrocy soon after Jordan's final retirement and Jackson leaving.

If that's what is going on in the ninnir camp rest assured one of the two or both will surely go eventually. I would think young York who is cast more in the style of Eddie DeBartillo, than anyone else would do something to relieve the pressure. In his case shedding the GM would be the smarter route to go.

For us, them letting Harbaugh go would make the GM feel like a super man and he would continue his dumb assed moves, making them soon an after thought in the NFC West.

Let us hope and pray for that. But could even the York family be that dumb?

:les:

CPHawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1no6e935 said:
lol.... are you trolling? Getting to 3 straight NFC championships is fantastic any way you slice it. Short of a monumental collapse there is 0% Harbs is not the coach in 2015, and thats from someone who pretty much hates him as a person

Maybe, but Clayton and Sando just this morning both said they won't be surprised if next year is his last as the 49ers coach. Sounds like a lot of issues between him and the front office, and now that Seattle won the SB those people are blaming him for not winning one yet. Basically it sounds like his act is old around the building, and he's made enemy's.

chris98251

Reaction score
Many of you may not remember but Buddy Ryan had a habit of pissing off people also, great coach abrasive person. You could say the same about Mike Martz, got the Rams playing well and then got to full of himself. Looks like the Harbaugh thing is heading in that direction. Ditka is another name that comes to mind as well.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Retweeted by Danny Kelly
Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 22m
Clayton believes Carroll will earn $8.5M in next contract from Paul Allen, already makes $7M....must piss Jim off to no end!

:3: :rofl:

Jville

Reaction score
I think the 49er organization is structured differently than what most of us have become accustom to with the Seahawks.

In my model, decisions go thru Jed York and associates. And I think Jed relies on the personal side of things, reinforced in the aftermath of the Singletary disaster.

In my view, personal trumps coaching in San Francisco. It's based on the assumption that there is a shortage in the supply of acceptable players and a good surplus of available coaches. For me, that is the driving force behind the annual collection of draft picks over the basic allocation. It is also the driving force behind a heighten interest is signing former high round draft picks as they become available thru free agency. The 49ers are heavily dependent on player talent.

So ...... the personal camp trumps the coaching camp. And, so far they seem to be having success with it. Rumors of a rift will continue trickle out from time to time. It doesn't mean their falling apart ...... it just reflects organization structure and the pecking order in San Francisco ..... at least as I see it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^I think you might be conflating the tenures of John and Jed York. John York came out of the business world and focused on yearly profitability. He treated revenue as fixed and slashes operating costs to increase profits. He cut every corner possible, including coaches salaries (the 9ers lost decade was marked by John rotating through low paid coaches who nobody else wanted and all of whom would never get another opportunity again).

Jed York is basically a kid playing with the family money. He looks up to his uncle Eddie Debartolo. His first move running the team was to bring in Baalke and Harbaugh, and to spend for both of them beyond what was typical for John (although still below market value due to John still controlling the purse strings). That will likely change with the new stadium.

The focus on stockpiling picks and packing the bottom of the roster with highly touted players who had injuries, poor performance at their first stop, etc. is a philosophy that comes in equal parts from Trent Baalke and Paraag Marathe. As a guy who comes out of the new school of management training, Jed York stays out of football operations.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hey Popeye, this is coming from a guy that's not in touch with the inner workings of the SF organization:

What are the issues with Baalke and Harbaugh? Why is it being discussed so much and do you think something's got to give?

Jville

Reaction score
Popeyejones,

Paraag Marathe is very interesting. Forgot about him.

Thanks for responding. :D

Jville

Reaction score
Popeyejones":8mtezi15 said:
^^^^I think you might be conflating the tenures of John and Jed York. John York came out of the business world and focused on yearly profitability. He treated revenue as fixed and slashes operating costs to increase profits. He cut every corner possible, including coaches salaries (the 9ers lost decade was marked by John rotating through low paid coaches who nobody else wanted and all of whom would never get another opportunity again).

Jed York is basically a kid playing with the family money. He looks up to his uncle Eddie Debartolo. His first move running the team was to bring in Baalke and Harbaugh, and to spend for both of them beyond what was typical for John (although still below market value due to John still controlling the purse strings). That will likely change with the new stadium.

The focus on stockpiling picks and packing the bottom of the roster with highly touted players who had injuries, poor performance at their first stop, etc. is a philosophy that comes in equal parts from Trent Baalke and Paraag Marathe. As a guy who comes out of the new school of management training, Jed York stays out of football operations.

How big a stake does co owner Gideon Yu have in the 49ers? What are your impressions?

drdiags

Reaction score
From Popeye's description, it doesn't sound like Jim H will leave due to financial constraints, as he points out the money making venture the new stadium should be. I don't see Jim H being fired anytime soon unless the working environment becomes as toxic as it was here with Mike H and Bob Whitsett. I doubt on-field results from next season would be a deciding factor because unless the wheels fall off, the team should be competitive.

The NFC is going to be tougher for everybody, HFA probably comes out of the NFC North since the Lions, Bears and Vikings have some issues to overcome.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Jason Cole ‏@JasonPhilCole 2h
Yes RT @JoshuaCurtis10: @JasonPhilCole @timkawakami On Harbaugh, @ESPN_Colin has been saying this for month, Stanford was happy he left

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":2ogdhdy8 said:
Popeyejones":2ogdhdy8 said:

How big a stake does co owner Gideon Yu have in the 49ers? What are your impressions?

Very small.

Ownership stake is like 1% and he was brought in largely to get the stadium completed. He just recently stepped down from his position and remains a minority owner.

Marvin49

Reaction score
drdiags":1on3u0ia said:
From Popeye's description, it doesn't sound like Jim H will leave due to financial constraints, as he points out the money making venture the new stadium should be. I don't see Jim H being fired anytime soon unless the working environment becomes as toxic as it was here with Mike H and Bob Whitsett. I doubt on-field results from next season would be a deciding factor because unless the wheels fall off, the team should be competitive.

The NFC is going to be tougher for everybody, HFA probably comes out of the NFC North since the Lions, Bears and Vikings have some issues to overcome.

As I've been saying all along, the 49ers are about to start minting money and Harbaugh is going to get a sizable slice.

He and Baalke will likely still butt heads from time to time, but it seems to be working for them so far.