Capernick interview, with "capernickisms"

Rocket

Reaction score
[youtube]_XLh4MR0rX8[/youtube]

A Capernick interview between his loss and the Super Bowl.

on bad plays - "those are the things that "resignate" in my mind"

He dreams of bad plays, over and over.

He takes full "credibility" for the Tip.

Classic... :34853_doh:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I could only listen to half of the interview. The Kraepper is real boring and he just has the smarmy factor going, kind of reminds me of A-rod when being interviewed, very Eddie Haskellish.

willyum

Reaction score
was anyone honestly surprised? The guy can't throw a touch pass to save his life. Not only that, he stared down Crabtree the WHOLE way. Watch the play, M. Smith knew where he was going with the ball very soon after the snap. The criticisms against Kap are spot on, and it showed glaringly on that last play

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
willyum":39mnu21g said:
was anyone honestly surprised? The guy can't throw a touch pass to save his life. Not only that, he stared down Crabtree the WHOLE way. Watch the play, M. Smith knew where he was going with the ball very soon after the snap. The criticisms against Kap are spot on, and it showed glaringly on that last play
Most of the whiner nation was surprised including our resident whiner trolls.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
willyum":k7nictjn said:
Not only that, he stared down Crabtree the WHOLE way.

FWIW if you watch the play from the angle from the endzone where you can see Kaep's eyes this just isn't true. I looked for it but couldn't find it, but if you actually care it's worth taking a look.

The thing to know is that it was a presnap read, but from the snap until the top of the drop back Kaep is keeping his eyes up field (not toward Crabtree) to freeze the safeties. He doesn't look over there until he has already started his motion. This definitely seems to be how the play was drawn up, but it was too clever by half, and was ultimately just really dumb IMO.

If he had been watching Crabtree the whole time he would have seen that Sherman didn't bite on the double move. Earl Thomas did (he ran up and ran himself out of the play), so freezing him didn't matter anyway. With the game on the line against the best corner in the NFL you WANT to stare that down and pump fake on the double move, so you either a) beat Sherman on the double move, b) catch Sherman peaking in the back field and really beat him on the double move, or c) see that Sherman didn't bite on the double move and then either throw the ball away and live to fight another play or hit Patton in the flat for a small gain and a step out of bounds.

As for Smith, the Hawks were in their standard zone. If he knew where the play was going he wouldn't have been run out of the play for anything BUT a tip drill. It was a really dumb play call, a bad pass by Kaepernick, a great play by Sherman, and good hustle by Smith.

So, yeah, I know you're just making a "Kaepernick sucks" post, but if you want to make one of those, say that Kaepernick sucks for under throwing the ball and for throwing almost blind against Sherman, not for staring down Crabtree and not being able to throw a touch pass, which are both just wrong in relation to this play.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
I am sick of hearing this, "The ball was under-thrown," nonsense. Sherman was all over crabtree so it wouldn't have mattered where the ball was thrown. The pass was either going to be tipped or intercepted. Saying the ball should have been thrown a foot farther ignores the fact that Sherman is not an inanimate object and would have remained in motion as well. Maybe crabtree would have gotten a better push-off? I doubt it though as his original push-off was mighty strong.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Fine: Kaepernick is dumb for relying on his pre-snap read of Crabtree one-on-one with Sherman because if he just checked the stats, he would know that Crabtree never finds much success up against Sherman when targeted in that matchup (or really against anyone else in the current secondary).

Popeyejones

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":8zqkqe3b said:
I am sick of hea ring this, "The ball was underthrown," nonsense. Sherman was all over crabtree so it wouldn't have mattered where the ball was thrown. The pass was either going to be tipped or intercepted. Saying the ball should have been thrown a foot farther ignores the fact that Sherman is not an inanimate object and woukd have remained in kotion as well. Maybe crabtree would have gotten a better pushoff? I doubt it though as his original pushoff was mighty stong.

If your takeaway from my post was that the problem for the 9ers on that play was that the ball was under thrown, you simply didn't read it. I say it in passing at the bottom but that REALLY wasn't the 9ers problem on that play.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1ld91ubp said:
CurryStopstheRuns":1ld91ubp said:
I am sick of hea ring this, "The ball was underthrown," nonsense. Sherman was all over crabtree so it wouldn't have mattered where the ball was thrown. The pass was either going to be tipped or intercepted. Saying the ball should have been thrown a foot farther ignores the fact that Sherman is not an inanimate object and woukd have remained in kotion as well. Maybe crabtree would have gotten a better pushoff? I doubt it though as his original pushoff was mighty stong.

If your takeaway from my post was that the problem for the 9ers on that play was that the ball was under thrown, you simply didn't read it. I say it in passing at the bottom but that REALLY wasn't the 9ers problem on that play.

It wasn't my "Only take-away," but I am not about to let you slip that excuse by.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
This thread isn't a Kaeperstank sucks thread. I don’t think anyone said that. But I will.

He sucks because he made up some shit remarks that have no fact behind them to counter Sherman well after Sherman made a heat of the moment comment. Ticks after Crabtree stuck his hand in Sherman's face like a big puss. It can be argued that by Sherman's standards, Crabtree is a sorry receiver and that Sherman is the best corner in the game right now.

He has personally picked off CK about the same number of times that he has thrown completions on him.

That is why Kaeperstank sucks. He is the most athletic QB in the league right now, has a cannon for an arm and has taken his team to the Super Bowl. But garbage like "he is scared of our receivers" "exploit that next year"? COME ON MAN.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3shlld86 said:
Popeyejones":3shlld86 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":3shlld86 said:

It wasn't my "Only take-away," but I am not about to let you slip that excuse by.

And I almost got away with it! :roll:

FWIW the ball was underthrown, but Sherman would have deflected the pass regardless IMO because he had excellent coverage and did bite on the double move. Both of those things can be true.

It's why my point that you're ignoring in order to score cheap points was that if he had been focusing on that side of the field the whole way he could have ostensibly reset or thrown the ball away...

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2d7n4rnw said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2d7n4rnw said:
Popeyejones":2d7n4rnw said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2d7n4rnw said:

FWIW the ball was underthrown, but Sherman would have deflected the pass regardless IMO because he had excellent coverage and did bite on the double move. Both of those things can be true.

It's why my point that you're ignoring in order to score cheap points was that if he had been focusing on that side of the field the whole way he could have ostensibly reset or thrown the ball away...

Gotta agree with Popeye here. The ball WAS underthrown. In that scenario, the ideal ball placement is where if your receiver can't get it, it goes out of bounds. I know the "one foot more" thing is out there, but it probably should have been 3-4 feet more if he wanted Crabtree to have a shot AND to have Sherman unable to get a finger on it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
volsunghawk":35gd5g5i said:
Popeyejones":35gd5g5i said:
CurryStopstheRuns":35gd5g5i said:
Popeyejones":35gd5g5i said:

Gotta agree with Popeye here. The ball WAS underthrown. In that scenario, the ideal ball placement is where if your receiver can't get it, it goes out of bounds. I know the "one foot more" thing is out there, but it probably should have been 3-4 feet more if he wanted Crabtree to have a shot AND to have Sherman unable to get a finger on it.

Agree on the one foot thing

Sherman got his entire hand on the ball...not just a finger. Its not outside the realm of possibility that he could have made a one handed interception on it if he hadn't batted it away.

If the ball were a few feet further it would have been a difficult catch by Crab but it would have been impossible.

My issue with the play tho has never been the execution. It was the play call. Even if they score there they leave 20-30 seconds on the clock for the Seahawks who only need a Field Goal. Niners still had 2 timeouts. There was no need to shoot for the endzone there.

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":9toyjp3m said:
This thread isn't a Kaeperstank sucks thread. I don’t think anyone said that. But I will.

He sucks because he made up some shit remarks that have no fact behind them to counter Sherman well after Sherman made a heat of the moment comment. Ticks after Crabtree stuck his hand in Sherman's face like a big puss. It can be argued that by Sherman's standards, Crabtree is a sorry receiver and that Sherman is the best corner in the game right now.

He has personally picked off CK about the same number of times that he has thrown completions on him.

That is why Kaeperstank sucks. He is the most athletic QB in the league right now, has a cannon for an arm and has taken his team to the Super Bowl. But garbage like "he is scared of our receivers" "exploit that next year"? COME ON MAN.

Yeah...I wish he hadn't said that. I think he was sticking up for his teammates, but it wasn't a wise or true thing to say.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
volsunghawk":563c6qvo said:
Popeyejones":563c6qvo said:
CurryStopstheRuns":563c6qvo said:
I am sick of hearing this, "The ball was under-thrown," nonsense. Sherman was all over crabtree so it wouldn't have mattered where the ball was thrown. The pass was either going to be tipped or intercepted. Saying the ball should have been thrown a foot farther ignores the fact that Sherman is not an inanimate object and would have remained in motion as well. Maybe crabtree would have gotten a better push-off? I doubt it though as his original push-off was mighty strong.

FWIW the ball was under-thrown, but Sherman would have deflected the pass regardless IMO because he had excellent coverage and did bite on the double move. Both of those things can be true.

Gotta agree with Popeye here. The ball WAS under-thrown. In that scenario, the ideal ball placement is where if your receiver can't get it, it goes out of bounds. I know the "one foot more" thing is out there, but it probably should have been 3-4 feet more if he wanted crabtree to have a shot AND to have Sherman unable to get a finger on it.

This is where I disagree. There was no "better place to throw it." Like you mentioned, the safest play would have been to throw it away. three, four, five more feet make no difference because Sherman was a wet blanket on crabtree and would have tipped or intercepted it had it been anywhere in the field of play.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ FWIW I think the argument is that there's a small window where it's a 95% chance of the ball going out of the back of the endzone and a 5% chance of Crabtree being a miracle maker and getting a hand on it. Sherman's coverage was that good but while in perfect position he was still a step behind. Maybe it's a 99% and 1% chance (or less!), but that window does exist in some small proportion. Even if that window is 1% it's increasing the probability that Sherman isn't getting a full palm on the ball to tip it up.

Basically though, while it was under thrown, I think that's missing the story of that play. Of all of the mistakes on the 9ers part on that play and all of the successes on the Hawks part on that play the ball being a tad under thrown is way low on the list, IMO.

As for Kaepernick just talking about the ball being under thrown to the media, regardless of if it's true or not, that's what you WANT your QB to do. It doesn't matter if it's actually true, if he's talking to the media you want him to take ownership. If he said what Marvin and I are saying ("it was a dumb play call, with a dumb strategy for how the play should be run within that dumb play call") everyone would go ape. Even if your QB believes that you don't want him actually saying that.