Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News on Harbaugh

Jville

Reaction score
Audio interview on Brock and Danny >>> [urltargetblank]http://audio.kiroradio.com/seattle/kiro/2014/02/brockanddanny022514_2_259.mp3[/urltargetblank]

Laloosh

Reaction score
Where's the picture of Harbaugh posing with one of our very own .NET members down in Cali? I wonder how much of his dickish nature bleeds through to his personal life versus how much of it is football related.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
-The Glove-":34cib6qm said:
Nope. Not on the list of trusted Niners media members
I'm sure that's an ever shrinking list as the news from whinerville gets worse and worse. :lol:

drdiags

Reaction score
That was a funny video of the Raiders coach that was going to punch his lights out. Seems like he is about as loved as Steve Kelly is around the PNW.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
drdiags":cl1zqkma said:
That was a funny video of the Raiders coach that was going to punch his lights out. Seems like he is about as loved as Steve Kelly is around the PNW.
Ahhhhhhh Steve Kelly, the jackalope that said the Mariners should trade Ken Griffey Jr after his rookie season for "prized prospects". Never liked "being contrarian just to be contrarian" writing style. Cancelled my subscription to the Times after that article.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":v8pdmmrm said:
We can't trust Kawakami because Marvin told us so, guys. MARVIN.

LOL. :D

I don't doubt that there is some truth in what Kawakami says, but the guy reaches ALOT for bigger stories. Consider him the Skip Bayless of Bay Area media.

He ALWAYS has a beef with Bay Area teams, not just the 49ers. His style is ALWAYS to criticize or have something negative to say. One Raider front office guy once almost came to blows with him right after a press conference. You guys are free to listen to him all you want and I'm not saying he's 100% wrong, but its really, really hard to take him seriously when almost everything he posts is negative about every team in the Bay Area.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":3bncqu8t said:
Smelly McUgly":3bncqu8t said:

I don't doubt that there is some truth in what Kawakami says, but the guy reaches ALOT for bigger stories. Consider him the Skip Bayless of Bay Area media.

He ALWAYS has a beef with Bay Area teams, not just the 49ers. His style is ALWAYS to criticize or have something negative to say. One Raider front office guy once almost came to blows with him right after a press conference. You guys are free to listen to him all you want and I'm not saying he's 100% wrong, but its really, really hard to take him seriously when almost everything he posts is negative about every team in the Bay Area.

In other words, you don't like him because he recognizes what a bunch of douche bags you all are ;)

Marvin49

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":38c07keb said:
Marvin49":38c07keb said:
Smelly McUgly":38c07keb said:

In other words, you don't like him because he recognizes what a bunch of douche bags you all are ;)

No, I don't like him because he's always stirring sh*t up and is only right about it about 50% of the time. :D

I watched him last night on CSN Bay Area and it was pretty clear the guy was speculating 90% of his "story". He wrote and article the other day that was LONG and was all the reasons that there MIGHT be a rift between Baalke and Harbaugh. No evidense mind you that any of those reasons were real...just a laundry list of stuff he though MIGHT create a rift.

Seriously? THAT's what passes for journalism these days? Pure speculation?

I am 100% positive the relationship with Baalke and Harbaugh is frosty. Baalke as much as admitted it on the air during the season so this isn't really news.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":hhjnkmvr said:
E.C. Laloosh":hhjnkmvr said:
Marvin49":hhjnkmvr said:
Smelly McUgly":hhjnkmvr said:

No, I don't like him because he's always stirring sh*t up and is only right about it about 50% of the time. :D

I watched him last night on CSN Bay Area and it was pretty clear the guy was speculating 90% of his "story". He wrote and article the other day that was LONG and was all the reasons that there MIGHT be a rift between Baalke and Harbaugh. No evidense mind you that any of those reasons were real...just a laundry list of stuff he though MIGHT create a rift.

I am 100% positive the relationship with Baalke and Harbaugh is frosty. Baalke as much as admitted it on the air during the season so this isn't really news.

Never know, Marv. Maybe Harbaugh is one to provide some pillow talk. Reporters will do anything for a story these days :)

Marvin49

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":bn989hfl said:
Marvin49":bn989hfl said:
E.C. Laloosh":bn989hfl said:
Marvin49":bn989hfl said:

Never know, Marv. Maybe Harbaugh is one to provide some pillow talk. Reporters will do anything for a story these days :)

LOL. :D Like I said, it could all be true...just find it difficult to take Kawakami seriously.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I was just coming here to post the Wyman Mike and Moore audio from yesterday with Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee. Guy made me laugh, "Jim Harbaugh is the King of Discord."

He quotes someone as saying "Walking down the hall, Jim Harbaugh tries to walk down the hall better than you!" :p

And "When their dad said they had to move Jim said 'It's okay, I just ran out of friends." :lol:

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... nd%20Moore

Marvin49

Reaction score
ivotuk":15oe58do said:
I was just coming here to post the Wyman Mike and Moore audio from yesterday with Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee. Guy made me laugh, "Jim Harbaugh is the King of Discord."

He quotes someone as saying "Walking down the hall, Jim Harbaugh tries to walk down the hall better than you!" :p

And "When their dad said they had to move Jim said 'It's okay, I just ran out of friends." :lol:

LOL. Yeah.

Barrows is one of the good ones BTW. He and Maiocco are the best.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
ivotuk":2j62hy74 said:

Thanks for posting. Quite the continuing melodrama.

How did the Jim Harbaugh-Trent Baalke breach open up? >>>> [urltargetblank]http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2014/02/25/how-did-the-jim-harbaugh-trent-baalke-breach-open-up-lets-go-back-through-it-owen-marecic-a-j-jenkins-aldon-smith/#more-21931[/urltargetblank]

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Yeah, it's articles like that which are the problem with Kawakami. It's not what he says it's that he just pontificates as if there's anything to back up what he says and then his pontification gets repeated as fact. Many of the possible incidents he lists are things that I've listed here in the last week, but he's not actually reporting anything.

When Matt Barrows says Harbaugh is impossible to get along with and a pain in the butt in the org I believe him because Barrows is a reporter and doesn't just BS. I've been a Bay Area sports fan for long enough to just discount everything Kawakami says because it's always just BS.

Just as an example, here's Kawakami from less than a month ago:

* Oh, and I’ve also heard that the tension between Harbaugh and Baalke—which at times this season was unpleasant for both—seemed to ratchet down recently.

Both are stubborn, they do argue and this relationship is probably not destined to last forever.

But maybe in the last few weeks Baalke and Harbaugh started to look at each other and think: Can I really get a better football partner than him?

Now that he's feeding off this conflict though his "observation" (in quotes, because it too was just him BSing) from a month ago is treated as if it never happened. He has had this same schtick in the Bay Area sports scene since I was a kid.

Another example from all of five lines in from the above link:

Both Harbaugh and Baalke were represented by agent David Dunn at the time, though Baalke has never publicly acknowledged it that I know of, and I’m not sure if the GM still has that relationship with the power agent.

Tim, if you WANT TO write about Harbaugh and Baalke's relationship through Dunn, maybe it's worth taking the 30 seconds to make a phone call and find out who Baalke's agent is. You are a ostensibly a reporter. This is not rocket science.

When you read Kawakami closely all of his statements about the way things "are" are just him opinionating like a messageboard poster.

For instance, on Harbaugh:

He doesn’t want to be a GM–you think he wants to put together draft boards, review 30 game tapes of potential 6th-rounders from New Mexico or spend all of March going to Baylor/Maryland/Colorado/Nebraska pro days and gossiping with college coaches and other execs?

No, he does not.

This isn't based on if Harbaugh actually wants GM duties or not. It's just Kawakami listing reasons why Harbaugh SHOULDN'T want to, and saying it's why he doesn't. It's just as likely Harbaugh DOES want to control all this stuff but Kawakami says he doesn't because Kawakami doesn't think he should.

Add on that 95% of his "I've heard"s are just writing what other people have investigated and reported without linking the source. He never quotes anybody because he never does any actual reporting.* He doesn't even cover the 49ers. He's only spamming pontificating posts about this for the last week because he's a fly drawn to light. He's a Warriors beat reporter.

Just to reiterate, when Barrows or Maoiocco or Branch report things no 9ers fan would EVER want to hear I never, ever, ever doubt that what they're saying is true because they're actually reporters who actually cover the team. Kawakami is an attention hungry troll though, and always has been. Start paying attention to how frequently he buries "I believe", "I suspect", "it stands to reason that", "likely", and "reasonable to assume" into every supposedly substantive statement he tries to pass off. It's all just BS. It's why Herrera (the Raiders exec) threatened on camera to to knock him out for constantly just making things up when he was a "reporter" whose "beat" was the Raiders a few years ago.

*Worth saying that the only person he has actually quoted or interviewed since he has abandoned his Warriors beat (which Warriors fans are thankful for, no doubt) to attention spam about the 9ers for the last week is Carmen Policy. That makes sense. IIRC the last time he was actually a beat reporter for the 49ers was in 1990s when Carmen Policy was with the team. It's really how up-to-date he is on what's actually going on inside the 9ers org.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
I get it that you have an ax to grind and do not like Tim Kawakami. I understand censorship thru arguments to dismiss or silence Kawakami.

Tim Kawakami's coverage of the 49ers has it's own style in describing a 49er front office and head coach that has become a reoccurring topic and created great national theater.

However, there is no seahawks.net buffer to filter or censor 49er theater.

Indeed, promoting and defending the 49er brand is not why we are here.

The 49ers and all that surround it exists because of its entertainment value. And like it or not, Tim Kawakami is a part of that 49er entertainment.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Jville":2rf2gxff said:
I get it that you have an ax to grind and do not like Tim Kawakami.

In saying that I have an ax to grind you're dismissing the basis through which I don't take credence in what Kawakami writes: He just makes things up and is not a reporter. When three and a half weeks ago (right when the Browns talks were actually happening) he claimed that he'd "heard" Harbaugh and Baalke's relationship was improving, I ignored it. Wouldn't I want to be believe that was true? Of course I would, but I didn't believe it because Kawakami is a BSer and him saying it didn't mean anything.

I understand censorship thru arguments to dismiss or silence Kawakami.

Spare me the fainting couch, man. Me giving examples of Kawakami trying to pass off pontificating as reporting is not censorship. That is hyperbolic and ridiculous. As I've noted on this very board last week I even pontificated about the same possible areas for a rift to emerge as Kawakami later did in this piece. The difference is that I labeled what I was doing as pontificating, and didn't use definitive statements that were subtly undercut as pontificating through "it seems", "it stands to reason", etc.

Tim Kawakami's coverage of the 49ers has it's own style in describing a 49er front office and head coach that has become a reoccurring topic and created great national theater.

Yes, his own style is to make stuff up and pretend it's fact. That's true. In the world of journalism him pretending that he knows if Harbaugh wants GM duties or not and stating it as fact is most certainly his own style. It's this "style" of just making stuff up and claiming it's fact that caused Herrera to threaten to clean his clock when he was "covering" the Raiders.

I don't know what this is even intended to mean.

If you think that's the critique you're mistaken. It's why I'm giving examples of Kawakami saying the relationship was good a few weeks ago (when the trade talk was actually happening), and examples of Kawakami claiming Harbaugh doesn't want GM duties. If either of those things were true they'd be GOOD for the 49ers brand. I'm singling them out as more BS from Kawakami BECAUSE they'd be good for the 9ers, which makes quote clear that my critique of him does not come from an investment in preserving the public perception of the internal workings of the 49ers. I want to know what's true, be it good or bad. Kawakami is full of it regardless of if he's being full of it in a way that, if true, would be good or bad news for the 49ers.

The 49ers and all that surround it exists because of its entertainment value. And like it or not, Tim Kawakami is a part of that 49er entertainment.

Sports is a form of entertainment. That is true. Sports journalism is also entertainment. That's also true. Neither of these things have a rat to do with if Kawakami is a reliable narrator or not, and he never has been. He has been like this since I was a kid.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":xlh47m63 said:
Jville":xlh47m63 said:
I get it that you have an ax to grind and do not like Tim Kawakami.

In saying that I have an ax to grind you're dismissing the basis through which I don't take credence in what Kawakami writes: He just makes things up and is not a reporter. When three and a half weeks ago (right when the Browns talks were actually happening) he claimed that he'd "heard" Harbaugh and Baalke's relationship was improving, I ignored it. Wouldn't I want to be believe that was true? Of course I would, but I didn't believe it because Kawakami is a BSer and him saying it didn't mean anything.

I understand censorship thru arguments to dismiss or silence Kawakami.

Spare me the fainting couch, man. Me giving examples of Kawakami trying to pass off pontificating as reporting is not censorship. That is hyperbolic and ridiculous. As I've noted on this very board last week I even pontificated about the same possible areas for a rift to emerge as Kawakami later did in this piece. The difference is that I labeled what I was doing as pontificating, and didn't use definitive statements that were subtly undercut as pontificating through "it seems", "it stands to reason", etc.

Yes, his own style is to make stuff up and pretend it's fact. That's true. In the world of journalism him pretending that he knows if Harbaugh wants GM duties or not and stating it as fact is most certainly his own style. It's this "style" of just making stuff up and claiming it's fact that caused Herrera to threaten to clean his clock when he was "covering" the Raiders.

I don't know what this is even intended to mean.

If you think that's the critique you're mistaken. It's why I'm giving examples of Kawakami saying the relationship was good a few weeks ago (when the trade talk was actually happening), and examples of Kawakami claiming Harbaugh doesn't want GM duties. If either of those things were true they'd be GOOD for the 49ers brand. I'm singling them out as more BS from Kawakami BECAUSE they'd be good for the 9ers, which makes quote clear that my critique of him does not come from an investment in preserving the public perception of the internal workings of the 49ers. I want to know what's true, be it good or bad. Kawakami is full of it regardless of if he's being full of it in a way that, if true, would be good or bad news for the 49ers.

Sports is a form of entertainment. That is true. Sports journalism is also entertainment. That's also true. Neither of these things have a rat to do with if Kawakami is a reliable narrator or not, and he never has been. He has been like this since I was a kid.

Do you ever get dizzy from "spinning" so much? Are you getting paid by the niners for defending them at every turn? .....because if you are not, you should be.