Is Brandin Cooks the next Desean Jackson

MikeHoncho7

Reaction score
This guy is really amazing. He went out ran a 4.3 40
Then broke the Combine record for both the 20 and 60 yard dash.
At 5'10 189 he Benched 225lbs 16 times.
Over 120 catches for 1,700 yards.
As a 9er I would actually want him over any other receiver, except maybe Watkins.
I think he can be better than Jackson.
Unfortunately after his combine performance his draft stock has gone up considerably.
So we'd probly have to trade into the top 15 to get em. Here's hoping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfJvQEYRJsw

Marvin49

Reaction score
MikeHoncho7":f645pd61 said:
This guy is really amazing. He went out ran a 4.3 40
Then broke the Combine record for both the 20 and 60 yard dash.
At 5'10 189 he Benched 225lbs 16 times.
Over 120 catches for 1,700 yards.
As a 9er I would actually want him over any other receiver, except maybe Watkins.
I think he can be better than Jackson.
Unfortunately after his combine performance his draft stock has gone up considerably.
So we'd probly have to trade into the top 15 to get em. Here's hoping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfJvQEYRJsw

I think this is the only WR the 49ers might realistically move up a bit to draft in round 1...as long as they don't have to move too far.

The Seahawks have Harvin and the Rams have Austin, so it would be the Niners version of "that guy". Harvin is bigger though so I'd say Cooks is more comparable to Austin.

Largent80

Reaction score
:lol: ....You guys never cease to make me laugh. Posting 49er wants/needs on a Seahawk message board.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Largent80":1ujmc169 said:
:lol: ....You guys never cease to make me laugh. Posting 49er wants/needs on a Seahawk message board.

LOL...

...Actually I didn't see who posted it so didn't realize he was a Niners fan. :D

OP
OP
M

MikeHoncho7

Reaction score
Largent80":1hqkp90u said:

Um because this is the NFL section. Your supposed to post about other teams.
And Ill be the first to admit the 49ers message board is filled with a bunch of delusional assholes.
SO much that they banned me for saying Kap struggled at going thru progreessions.
The ban is over, but screw them I rather interact you guys tbh.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Is Cooks on Tevon Austins level? everyone was hyped about him last year and he went top 10. Seems Cooks is almost identical but is considered a late 1st. This really is a deep draft.

lucky49

Reaction score
MikeHoncho7":a67b6xvk said:
Largent80":a67b6xvk said:

And Ill be the first to admit the 49ers message board is filled with a bunch of delusional assholes.
SO much that they banned me for saying Kap struggled at going thru progreessions.

haha, is that the official 49ers.com message board? i have proudly been permabanned from there since 2011

ivotuk

Reaction score
MikeHoncho7":3o84z05r said:
Largent80":3o84z05r said:

Bravo! Bravo! Welcome aboard mateys!

Largent80

Reaction score
MikeHoncho7":3s6aexs4 said:
Largent80":3s6aexs4 said:

I rather interact you guys tbh.

We do have a cool factor going, and we only bite when provoked.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2jijid3f said:
Is Cooks on Tevon Austins level? everyone was hyped about him last year and he went top 10. Seems Cooks is almost identical but is considered a late 1st. This really is a deep draft.

Yeah, it's just the draft being much deeper, IMO.

FWIW the only NFCW team that I think Cooks would make sense for is Zona.

The Hawks already have Harvin, the Rams already have Austin, and 9ers fans who want Cooks basically want to the 9ers to be a team that they're not. For better or for worse (and that's a real for better or for worse) he doesn't fit what they're trying to do.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Tavon Austin and Brandon Cooks are not the next Percy Harvin. They are similar players but Percy is bigger and built differently. If 49ers are looking to add some speed at WR position then draft Odell Beckham jr. He is a complete WR and very athletic. He can play inside, outside, and return kicks & punts plus dude has great attitude. If hawks don't draft him then hopefully he goes to some team that's not in the NFC west.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Agreed they're different players. While being built differently though, all three of them make their money in the slot receiver + "slash" role.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2jd9u6af said:
^^^ Agreed they're different players. While being built differently though, all three of them make their money in the slot receiver + "slash" role.

Still don't understand why 49ers won't try LMJ in a similar role. He's also got that kind of ability to be a factor and change the game with a big play. He was dynamic in college.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":wx5u9357 said:
Still don't understand why 49ers won't try LMJ in a similar role. He's also got that kind of ability to be a factor and change the game with a big play. He was dynamic in college.

They did a little bit in the first half of his rookie year when Alex Smith was still QB, and they'd bring in Kaep and LMJ for read/option stuff. The problem is that if they're going to be shifting someone out wide it will be one the TEs, and play action is too big of a part of their passing attack to do it with the HB anyway. They also basically never go three wide unless it's third and long and don't use the screen game, which dramatically decreases what you can do with a player like James.

The only two criticisms you could make of James in all of this IMO is that 1) as a rookie he was too charged on running plays and didn't show the patience that made him great in college, and 2) he's not as good of a pass blocker as Gore. So, as a rookie he acted like a rookie and Gore is an excellent pass blocker. That's not really his fault, IMO. Sadly my guess is he'll waste away on the 9ers for another two years and then hopefully get into a situation where he'll actually be utilized. Really unfortunate, IMO. It was a waste of a pick and a waste of talent.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^Don't think you need to worry about that. They seem intent on sticking with Gore for another year, and I don't see them cutting Hunter, James, or Lattimore, or carrying more than four backs (by all accounts they also really like Hampton, who will likely be on the PS for another year).

So rest assured, the 9ers will be loaded up with RBs, and will not utilize them correctly. ;)

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
You are probably right but Hawks and 49ers front offices are very similar when it comes to surprising people with their draft choices. These two teams really like to run the ball and you can never have too many solid RB's. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hawks draft another running back even though our backfield is loaded with Lynch, Turbin, Michael, and Ware.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I dunno....I think they may take a RB. I really like Andre Williams even though he can't catch a cold. Running style reminds me of Roger Craig.

As for LMJ, I really don't see him as a slot player. He hasn't really shown the hands to play there. As a RB Popeye is correct....Gore is SOOOOO good a pass protector that its really hard to take him out of games.

When Gore leaves, I think RB will be more of a "by committee" thing. Gore and Hunter are in the last years of their contracts, so perhaps Lattimore and James sharing the spot going forward? Who knows.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^If they take an RB someone has to get cut though, no? I can't seem them carrying more than four RBs.

I know we're the last two 9ers fans on earth who aren't counting our chickens before they hatch on Lattimore, but I can't imagine they'd already be planning on moving on from him by the time the draft roles around in May. I guess they could just cut Hunter a year early? W/ Gore and Hunter up in twelve months and no other punt returners on the team I can't see them ditching James. As you know I'm a disloyal twit and think now is the time to move on from Gore, but I sincerely don't think that will happen. I guess if it's anybody it would have to be Hunter, but they actually trust him behind Gore and know what they have with him.

How do you think the math works if they take an RB? Taking one next year makes sense IMO, but not this year unless it's another redshirt guy.