London Jaguars?

TriCHawk

Reaction score
I didn't realize they were playing 4 home games in London. I thought it was 2. That's half of their home season. That sucks for any die-hard Jags fans (if there are any) living in the area that like to attend games.

This has been discussed on here before, but besides the brutal travel schedule, there's the issue of guys trying out, training camp, taxes, etc. I think it would be a big mess. My guess is that the NFL is just trying to get leverage to have newer stadiums built. They should be more concerned with getting a team in LA than London. Hell, even Mexico City.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Europe just needs its own league unless they build some super-plane that travels twice as fast as commercial air to reduce the travel time; and even then, jet lag's a real issue when you're talking about that many time zones.

I'd love to see a European NFL really take off, but kept separate from the U.S.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
If the NFL wants to kill the sport in the UK, making it a complete laughing stock, this is the way to do it.

It's frankly unbelievable this is still being discussed. Real NFL fans in the UK DO NOT WANT THIS.

I'm a passionate Seahawks fan who goes to most of the London games. If they move a team over here, they're banking on me either:

a.) Dumping the Seahawks and becoming a 'London Jaguars' fan.

b.) Sticking with the Seahawks, but also committing to eight 3.5 hour car and train journey's every other week between September and January.

I'm unwilling to do either.

Most of the people who go to the London games do so just to be part of the occasion, not because they want to root for or adopt a new team. Also, I am not from London. The idea of supporting a London franchise would be like asking people in Boston to travel to get behind a New York franchise. It's ridiculous -- and there won't be enough interest within London alone for this to get off the ground.

The novelty would ware off when the Jags continued to suck... attendances would dip significantly... none of the US players would want to move play in the UK.

Within 3-4 years they'd already be talking about moving the team back to America. And we'd be left with a disastrous legacy that the British public would be blamed for. When in reality, we're quiet happy watching AMERICAN football from afar.

Plus the NFL really doesn't want to take on our football, rugby and cricket. It won't win. In the same way the MLS will never be the best of the best in the US.

This is an appalling idea, being rallied by the wrong people (Mayor of London, SKY Sports TV, the NFL, fair weather fans), and NOT the die hards they need to make this work.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1n3l6ah4 said:
If the NFL wants to kill the sport in the UK, making it a complete laughing stock, this is the way to do it.

It's frankly unbelievable this is still being discussed. Real NFL fans in the UK DO NOT WANT THIS.

I'm a passionate Seahawks fan who goes to most of the London games. If they move a team over here, they're banking on me either:

b.) Sticking with the Seahawks, but also committing to eight 3.5 hour car and train journey's every other week between September and January.

Most of the people who go to the London games do so just to be part of the occasion, not because they want to root for or adopt a new team. Also, I am not from London. The idea of supporting a London franchise would be like asking people in Boston to travel to get behind a New York franchise. It's ridiculous -- and there won't be enough interest within London alone for this to get off the ground.

The novelty would ware off when the Jags continued to suck... attendances would dip significantly... none of the US players would want to move play in the UK.

Within 3-4 years they'd already be talking about moving the team back to America. And we'd be left with a disastrous legacy that the British public would be blamed for. When in reality, we're quiet happy watching AMERICAN football from afar.

Plus the NFL really doesn't want to take on our football, rugby and cricket. It won't win. In the same way the MLS will never be the best of the best in the US.

This is an appalling idea, being rallied by the wrong people (Mayor of London, SKY Sports TV, the NFL, fair weather fans), and NOT the die hards they need to make this work.

I am in full agreement with all of this.

I go to at least 1 London game most years but have to drive 2 hours to do so (and unlike in the US, there is no provision for car parking around UK stadiums so the journey always ends up being more of a mission), and would probably continue to go to 1 game per year out of the 8. At the London games there are many NFL fans from all over the UK and Europe, very few of whom would be investing in a season ticket or attending more than one or two games. And as Rob says, many of the Fans the NFL will be counting on attracting are already committed fans of another team.

If this happens it will not end well.

A London Hawk

Reaction score
TriCHawk":6ukpiqth said:
I didn't realize they were playing 4 home games in London. I thought it was 2. That's half of their home season. That sucks for any die-hard Jags fans (if there are any) living in the area that like to attend games.

This has been discussed on here before, but besides the brutal travel schedule, there's the issue of guys trying out, training camp, taxes, etc. I think it would be a big mess. My guess is that the NFL is just trying to get leverage to have newer stadiums built. They should be more concerned with getting a team in LA than London. Hell, even Mexico City.

It's a game a year for 4 years I believe.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":35t4h1wk said:
Europe just needs its own league unless they build some super-plane that travels twice as fast as commercial air to reduce the travel time; and even then, jet lag's a real issue when you're talking about that many time zones.

I'd love to see a European NFL really take off, but kept separate from the U.S.

TMOF_Concorde_Approach-2_P1.jpg

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":381yymtt said:
How fast does that beast go, Sonic, and what model of plane is it?
<butting in>
Concorde, 1350mph, crossed the atlantic in 3.5 hours on average.

They have one at Boeing's museum of flight and will let you go inside it on certain days with paid admission to the mueseum. The plane on the inside looks like it would be supercramped and there is no way you could get a team of big guys to be comfortable in there.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I assumed Roland being older than 8 years old was aware of what that was, Hernia.

BHF

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1xhkqgc8 said:

The Concorde? IIRC it could break Mach 2, but they retired them all a decade ago.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
BHF":3frrx9gh said:
RolandDeschain":3frrx9gh said:

The Concorde? IIRC it could break Mach 2, but they retired them all a decade ago.

This..because they could not get rid of the noise level and landing them was restrictive. Only a few places
they could take off from and land. The people did not want to deal with it, so they were retired.

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SonicHawk":122z4ub8 said:
I assumed Roland being older than 8 years old was aware of what that was, Hernia.
Sorry; unlike some, I don't build model planes in my basement while making flying sounds with my mouth and occasionally having to wipe away drool and having every plane in the world memorized. Though as soon as he mentioned it was the Concorde, I remembered that it was called that.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":22bp396g said:
SonicHawk":22bp396g said:
Sorry; unlike some, I don't build model planes in my basement while making flying sounds with my mouth and occasionally having to wipe away drool and having every plane in the world memorized. Though as soon as he mentioned it was the Concorde, I remembered that it was called that.

I genuinely thought it was common knowledge stuff. My mistake.

I don't build model airplanes, but I absolutely do make flying sounds.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I was just flippin' you the friendly bird. ;) Had someone asked me to describe in very basic terms the Concorde, that's actually what I visualized. I just kind of forgot about it.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3a6sq523 said:

I'm not a UK sports fan, though close enough obviously, and I agree with all of this. Sky Sports' coverage of the Wembley games is nauseating. Every other week they rabbit on about it, even from the week after them, even during SB coverage, its so ridiculously overhyped. Two years ago, the year of Pats v Sheep, Sky made the decision to not show Redzone entirely, in an effort to force people to watch the Wembley game. So what did myself and every other NFL fan I know do? Turn off sky and go find an online stream. The fact they want to grow the game on the international sphere is commendable, but they are going about it the total wrong way. Fans in the UK and Ireland care about their own teams, not watching the Jags get stomped on a weekly basis.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
The only way our football will succeed in Europe is to develop a European pro league and invest heavily in academies to develop players. Without high school and collegiate football producing players in Europe, they would only be able to sign leftover talent from the United State ala the World League and previous incarnation of NFL Europe.

If you invest heavily in developing talent in Europe though, you might be actually be able to create a competitive league, and someday may even be able to stage a SUPER Super Bowl between the US Super Bowl champ and the Euro champ. But it would take a lot of time, money, and effort to achieve that. Simply dropping a team into Wembley and having them play in the NFL is a recipe for disaster.