could a pete carroll extension add to the tension down in SF

davidonmi

Reaction score
Paul Allen is probably going to make Pete the highest paid coach in the NFL and I have to imagine seeing Carroll get 8-9 million a year, being SF's biggest rival, is going to only make Harbaugh demand his extension even more and maybe ask for even more money.
Or it could have no effect, I tend to lean to the former.

I have to imagine seeing a guy who you have a personal rivalry with (they can deny it all they want, it's there) become the highest paid coach in the NFL while you're stuck at 5 million, it has to be somewhat infuriating.
That's why I hope the Carroll extension gets announced ASAP?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I'd pay Pete $10m per JUST for this.

It'd be a classic troll move, the ultimate side splitting move.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Could there be a Double Pirrouette by Hardouche??? Stay tuned to the next exciting chapter in this continuing saga. :1:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

Laloosh

Reaction score
Seriously, the $10M per (at least for the first year) would be hilarious. There would be a mushroom cloud over the bay area within a week.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Any new contract by a head coach will affect the negotiations of coaches seeking one.

If the rumors are true that Harbaugh wants SB winning coach money than it doesn't change the ownership's perspective on Pete as he did win a SB.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Give Carroll $1 more per year than the highest-paid QB contract. :lol:

Then see Harbaugh whine about making like 30% of what Carroll makes, hahaha.

NINEster

Reaction score
I don't think Harbaugh really is in it for the money. I saw what he drives last time I was at Candlestick (a several year old pickup), and everyone knows how big of a baller he is with his wardrobe.

In the grand scheme of things, the money thing is insane. You are not capped, and you make a stink over money?? (front office)

It makes me wonder if the Yorks are not inclined to re-sign the guy for whatever reason. And if they think that way, then they learned nothing about the last decade.

Carroll should get whatever he wants, and don't think it will bother his rival one bit since he already makes less than Jeff Fisher.

The Radish

Reaction score
NINEster":3j4sl51j said:
I don't think Harbaugh really is in it for the money. I saw what he drives last time I was at Candlestick (a several year old pickup), and everyone knows how big of a baller he is with his wardrobe.

In the grand scheme of things, the money thing is insane. You are not capped, and you make a stink over money?? (front office)

It makes me wonder if the Yorks are not inclined to re-sign the guy for whatever reason. And if they think that way, then they learned nothing about the last decade.

Carroll should get whatever he wants, and don't think it will bother his rival one bit since he already makes less than Jeff Fisher.

I hope the Yorks are smart enough to not get in a bidding war with anyone. They have a great coach and I'm sure don't want to lost him. But to just wildly get in a bidding war over money with a division rival I don't see it.

And I agree Harbaugh is not really very money concious and good for him. I'd have to say the same about Pete tho his wardrobe choices are way better than Jims. lol I think Harbaugh gets up in the morning ready to coach and the same with Pete. Both have ideas to prove and have gone a long way toward doing so.

If they keep it going another 2-3 years it wouldn't surprise me if they both might retire.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Pete's about to go into his lame duck year, right? Have to imagine he'll be the highest paid coach in the league by August.

This will obviously affect things for Harbaugh, but I don't think it being PC or the Seahawks will matter. Contracts are negotiated between suits on either side, and I seriously doubt that Harbaugh's agent gives a crud if the highest paid coach is PC or someone else. He's just glad that a new threshold in high-end coaching salary will be reached.

Basically what this all means IMO is that the 9ers offer will have to go up, and the escalator will have to go up, but that would be true regardless of who it was. I still think, if Harbaugh is resigned, that the contract will be formulated with an escalator in which his base is top 5ish (he's currently middle of the pack in salary) with an escalator to be the highest paid coach in the league should the 9ers win a Super Bowl. This is all assuming that the 9ers don't win the Super Bowl next year, nor do they implode next year, both of which would obviously change things.

Despite all the hysteria, Harbaugh still has two years left on his deal, and I expect this all to get done (or be done, meaning not get done) next off-season rather than this one. Neither side has a good bargaining position this off-season, nor is there an axe dangling over anyone's head this off-season. Given rumblings about conflict in the locker room, there's even more reason to see how things work out for another year.

Largent80

Reaction score
Harbaugh would get that money and promptly head to Walmart to buy a car with a for sale sign in the parking lot.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":znd7v8ux said:
Pete's about to go into his lame duck year, right? Have to imagine he'll be the highest paid coach in the league by August.

This will obviously affect things for Harbaugh, but I don't think it being PC or the Seahawks will matter. Contracts are negotiated between suits on either side, and I seriously doubt that Harbaugh's agent gives a crud if the highest paid coach is PC or someone else. He's just glad that a new threshold in high-end coaching salary will be reached.

Basically what this all means IMO is that the 9ers offer will have to go up, and the escalator will have to go up, but that would be true regardless of who it was. I still think, if Harbaugh is resigned, that the contract will be formulated with an escalator in which his base is top 5ish (he's currently middle of the pack in salary) with an escalator to be the highest paid coach in the league should the 9ers win a Super Bowl. This is all assuming that the 9ers don't win the Super Bowl next year, nor do they implode next year, both of which would obviously change things.

Despite all the hysteria, Harbaugh still has two years left on his deal, and I expect this all to get done (or be done, meaning not get done) next off-season rather than this one. Neither side has a good bargaining position this off-season, nor is there an axe dangling over anyone's head this off-season. Given rumblings about conflict in the locker room, there's even more reason to see how things work out for another year.

But... but... the media!

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
theENGLISHseahawk":2aqm5m0p said:
Report: Jim Harbaugh’s “act has worn thin” in the 49ers locker room

LINK: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... cker-room/

There are a lot of leaks here. I mean, at first they actually came from the Browns, but now I'm wondering if someone or someones in the SF front office are leaking "Harbaugh is tiresome/hard to work with" on purpose.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I have a hard time getting excited about any of this because we're talking about the same media that was all over Marshawn for not cooperating during media week or whatever it's called.

There might be some level of discomfort over there but I honestly think the media's just churning shit up in the off-season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2fdnv29m said:

Hogwash. As one of the most fierce competitors who wants to win at ALL COSTS per his brother, other family members, and other folks that have had to deal with the guy, he is suddenly not going to be competitive to be the highest paid when it comes to his salary? Surely you jest? Really???? :roll: Denial is not just a river anymore!

As much spinning you do on the niners behalf, if you are not already getting paid by the niners org, you need to apply for their lead spokesperson position, as you have the Baghdad Bob act down to a science.