Report: Saints will use franchise tag on Jimmy Graham

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
The development is hardly surprising. The Saints haven’t hidden their plan to use the tag on Graham in the event they couldn’t reach a long-term deal and all reports about the negotiations have indicated that the two sides are far apart.

Assuming the Saints tag Graham and assuming he’s determined to be a tight end, there’s likely to be a grievance from Graham’s camp arguing that he should be tagged as a receiver. Graham often lines up split out from the line and there’s about a $5 million difference between the salaries on the two tags.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... my-graham/

I understand why he will file a grievance (to get more money), but it's a bit unfair how they get to play both sides of things. You want to argue that you're a WR for the franchise tag, well that's fine, but then all your accolades ,all-pro votes, pro-bowl votes,etc. should be considered under as a WR too then and not a TE. They get the benefit of those bonuses from their contracts from being an all-pro as a TE,etc. but they probably wouldn't of even got in as a WR if he had to go against other WR's like Gordon,Johnson,Green,etc. for the votes like he wants to claim he is now. Instead of being a top 3 TE, you're more of a top 10 receiver then?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
His agent has a pretty good claim to get him designated as a wide receiver, as there's specific language in the CBA that states the franchise tag designation is based on the position "at which the franchise player participated in the most plays during the prior league year." Considering Graham lined up out wide or in the slot on 67% of the plays he participated in that makes it fairly clear he's a wide receiver as far as the franchise tag is concerned.

OP
OP
D

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
SeatownJay":ftha46hz said:
His agent has a pretty good claim to get him designated as a wide receiver, as there's specific language in the CBA that states the franchise tag designation is based on the position "at which the franchise player participated in the most plays during the prior league year." Considering Graham lined up out wide or in the slot on 67% of the plays he participated in that makes it fairly clear he's a wide receiver as far as the franchise tag is concerned.

Yup and it worked for Finley with GB too I think (they settled on it?). As to only concerning the tag & CBA, it's fair game I guess, but it's just a little unfair how they get to take away from both sides with a loophole.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
He should be tagged as a WR because he's too weak to be someone that's supposed to be capable of blocking and not getting bumped off routes by a brisk wind.

Laloosh

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":keao63qy said:
He should be tagged as a WR because he's too weak to be someone that's supposed to be capable of blocking and not getting bumped off routes by a brisk wind.

His agent has petitioned the league to create a new designation for his position called "Jimmeh".

Popeyejones

Reaction score
This will be the second time in three years that the league will have to slap the Saints' wrist for misuse of the franchise tag. Not to overstate it, but in the long term I can't imagine this puts them in a positive light with agents when trying to attract free agents.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":ambhgvm6 said:
RolandDeschain":ambhgvm6 said:

His agent has petitioned the league to create a new designation for his position called "Jimmeh".

Obama bucks animated money gif

Oh Lord! I can't stop laughing.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":6892ptww said:
RolandDeschain":6892ptww said:

Lulz. He certainly blocks like a WR. In the lingerie league.

Subzero717

Reaction score
If he lines up at WR he should get paid like a WR. Plain and simple. Douche Brees should stay out of it too. None of his teamates piped up in his contract when he wanted to be highest paid QB and said "he isnt Brady or Manning."

mikeak

Reaction score
I keep hearing how often he lines up as a WR but what is relevant to me is how much he does it compared to other TEs in the league. If the norm is 50% for other TEs then it is just part of the game now...

RedAlice

Reaction score
If he wants to be tagged as a WR, then he should change his entire position. He actually totally F***, messes up Fantasy football by being the one high end TE you can have in your line up instead of a WR. Is a fact. Be one or the other. If he wants paid as a WR, then be a WR. end.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
Well the Saints have slapped the non-exclusive tag on Jimmy G. I think we ask more of our tight ends than what he could offer and we probably couldn't fit him under the cap....but would you offer up our 1st rounder this year and next (taking into account this year's selection is #32 and next year's selection should be no better than a mid-20's pick) to bring him over as a weapon?

Latest posts